Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:34 PM
Joined Sep 2005
152 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Zone Super Cub will not fire up??

I have a Hobby Zone Super Cub I bought from a guy that never opened the package.I put the plane together and was taxing it around and gettting use to the controls.i bought a simulator and have been practising up my skills.It was a calm day today so I thought I would try the plane out for the first time flying.I put the controler on and nothing happens.I replaced the batteries with brand new ones and recharged the battery for the plane and it still won't fire up.What could the problem be.It was working fine taxing it around a few times and has never flown.I took the wing off and all the wires look good.Is there a switch on the plane I don't know about or does anyone have a idea what to do next??? Thanks for your help in advance. Dale
Dale Sawchuk is offline Find More Posts by Dale Sawchuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
Joined Jun 2010
13 Posts
I had a motor screw come out of motor mount one time and it got stuck between both gears
mark2161 is offline Find More Posts by mark2161
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:27 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
dead battery for plane maybe???
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:45 PM
Joined Sep 2005
152 Posts
I charged it up and I can not even get the rudder or elevator to work !!!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:51 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
have u got a spare battery for plane,
its prob the batt if u getting no response.
is there any movement when u plug battery in like a jittering sound of the servos..
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2005
152 Posts
There is no jittery sound at all.i know the sound you mean. The battery was brand new and out of the package .It charged up good the first time.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:35 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
Did you unplug the battery after taxing the plane around? No mater what batteries you use, lipos or nicads, always unplug them after flying or taxing.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2005
152 Posts
No I left them hooked up..
Old Jul 10, 2010, 07:10 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
defo your battery.
always unplug your battery.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
Joined Sep 2005
152 Posts
What is Defo your battery mean and how would I do it.??? Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:30 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
That means when you left your battery hooked up the speed control wore your battery down. "Defo" I believe means, definatly it is your battery. You will need another battery to power your plane now. Most likely you have discharged it way to far to recover and it is easier to replace than try to fix.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
Jupiter Fl
Joined Mar 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sawchuk View Post
What is Defo your battery mean and how would I do it.??? Thanks
Dale,

If your new to the whole Lipo battery thing...If you discharge the battery too low, the battery becomes a throw away. I learned this the hard way with my first SuperCub when I got it stuck in a tree after low voltage cutoff and I kept trying to use the power of the motor to dislodge it. After coming back and cutting it down...The battery would not charge back up.

Lipo batteries are a great source of power for RC planes, but people time how long their flights are and most planes come with a low voltage cutoff which allows the servos to still work and land the plane when the battery is too low. With the SuperCub, you can override the low voltage cutoff by turning the throttle off and then back on and so on.

So, If you took the battery too low and then kept re arming it, you eventually took too much (mah) out of the battery and it is probably shot. Your local hobby store probably can check it, but it's probably garbage. Also, you can get batteries for that plane for $10-$15 if you do your homework online.

Good Luck!

Gregg
gsnewflyer is offline Find More Posts by gsnewflyer
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:32 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,207 Posts
I suggest you bookmark this site and read the appropriate sections before you buy another battery. Then you'll be at least mildly prepared to handle the mess of opinons you get when you ask the next questions:
What is the best lipo?
What is the best charger?

Part One - Basics every battery user should know

You don't even have to ask-they get asked at least a dozen times a week. Just do a search.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 11, 2010, 02:52 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
theres prob lots of others like you..left battery plugged in..im one..same plane oddly enough lol.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:46 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,207 Posts
Oh yeah, pretty much everyone does it sometime.
The other one is leaving the TX on and finding the batteries dead. I STILL do that on occasion....arrgh.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver