SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2014, 01:35 AM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
274 Posts
Discussion
You Want Rakon Heli Bling (Blade 200SRX) but You're On a Budget: Step On In!

Well allow someone who knows to help you out. :thumbup:

Here's the deal. Rakon Heli has some very nice looking bling. However, some folks may find it a bit pricey and thus, can't afford to dive into their wallet that deep without feeling some pain. Well The Junkman is here to help you out. What I will do with this thread is direct you to what I feel are the MUST have upgrade parts because of practicality. In other words, the parts that I am going to suggest are not just for looks, but they serve an important purpose in that they make your bird more sturdy and less susceptible to damage during a crash. So you can easily justify these purchases because in the long run, they are going to SAVE you money. With that said, here we go!

CNC Delrin 120T Main Gear w/Aluminum Hub Set

This is a major must have part. If you have crashed at least ONCE, you have stripped your main gear. If you look at this bird with bad breath, the main gear will drop some teeth. I put this gear in my bird and since that day, I have yet to loose a tooth on my main gear and I have definitely had my fair share of crashes since. This gear is sturdy as all get out and if there is one thing that you should upgrade first, this is definitely it. You can get the hub set (the center part), in multiple colors.

Brass Pinion 13T 0.5M/2.30/3.0 Bore

To understand why you want to by this gear in conjunction with the main gear, I will let forum member VMax911 explain it in his words. He does a much better job than I could:

"Junkman, you are correct about tooth count on both gears effecting the heli. In fact, the pinion gear and main gear simply create a ratio that transfers power. The stock gear ratio is 11T/120T (11 tooth pinion, 120 tooth main gear). So 120/11 = 10.9:1. Every time the pinion turns 10.9 times, the main gear turns once. Is a simple reduction transmission (reduces speed but multiplies torque).

Using a 13T pinion with the stock 120T main gear gives 120/13 = 9.23:1 reduction. more speed than stock, just less torque."

So as you can see, upgrading your pinion gear is about efficiency. Being more efficient is always a good thing.

CNC Aluminum Tail Motor Mount Set

This is another must have part because your stock tail mount set can crack and your helicopter will start wagging its tail more than usual. Unless you looked closely at this part, you would never know why. The hairline crack that develops in the stock part can't be seen unless you inspect it up close and even then, it's hard to see unless you flex the mount. So purchase this aluminum upgrade and eliminate that problem forever. A very important purchase.

The next few items are important, just not as critical as the ones listed above.

CNC Aluminum Horizontal Stabilizer Fin Mount Set

The stock stabilizer fin mount slides around on the boom like a freakin' ice skater. Thus, I always had to use a piece of Scotch tape behind it in order to keep it from sliding backwards. I have yet to have that issue with this upgrade so I will recommend it too. You could always use the Scotch tape technique that I used before but this is much nicer.

CNC Carbon Fiber Tail Fin Set

If you get the stabilizer fin mount, you will have to get these two pieces also because the stock parts will NOT fit on the upgraded parts. So if you upgrade, keep in mind that this is a package deal. They are a LOT more sturdy than the stock parts and do not bend like the stock parts do when installed.

Canopy - Standard Shape

The absolute only reason to buy this canopy is for the ease of installing it (and of course the look). If you have gotten frustrated with trying to put the flimsy stock canopy on before you fly, you will love this one. Not only is it more sturdy, the rubber grommets don't keep popping out and getting lost when you remove it and put it on. Add to that, it is more sturdy that the flimsy stock one so it will hold up better in a crash. The fact that it looks better can easily justify this purchase to most folks but practicality is again the reason I would buy it. I got to the point where I wouldn't bother putting the stock canopy on before flying because it was too much of a hassle.

CNC Aluminum Canopy Mount Set

If you get the canopy, you may as well get these canopy mounts also. Because they are aluminum, they assist in making the canopy pop on and off a lot quicker. I tried using them with the stock canopy but the grommets on the stock canopy kept popping out so I went with the Rakon canopy. Problem solved.

So that's The Junkman's take on adding some bling to your bird when you're on a budget and you want to get the most bang for your buck. This will add around 1.7g of weight to your bird which is so small, you won't notice it. If you do the full upgrade that I did in my Rakon upgrade thread, you will probably notice that the added weight seems to make the bird fly better. Now I have no scientific proof to say that for a fact, that is strictly my personal opinion so take it for what that is worth. I will say that I am MORE than happy with my blinged out bird and it flies just fine, more smoother to me. I have no issues with weight or control, and I'm still a rookie at this. So there's your upgrade guide for those on a budget who want to buy the minimum parts necessary that are actually going to do you some good. I know that you will be more than happy with those upgraded parts.

Junkman's Full On "Rakon Heli" Blade 200 SRX in Flight (Hovering) (1 min 53 sec)

The Junkman
Junkman2008 is offline Find More Posts by Junkman2008
Last edited by Junkman2008; Oct 01, 2014 at 09:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2014, 08:36 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You must be very hard on your 200SRX. All I've needed to replace was one main gear for about $3.00. I replaced the tail boom with a CF tube ($4.00) and swapped to the 13T pinion ($7.00). I've had my 200SRX since they were released. I would like a stronger frame that doesn't flex so much, but not at Rakon prices.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 01, 2014, 09:31 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
You must be very hard on your 200SRX. All I've needed to replace was one main gear for about $3.00. I replaced the tail boom with a CF tube ($4.00) and swapped to the 13T pinion ($7.00). I've had my 200SRX since they were released. I would like a stronger frame that doesn't flex so much, but not at Rakon prices.
When I bought this thing, it was way more helo than I should have tried to fly. I wasn't hard on it, I was brutal. I now have more parts for it than my local hobby shop. But that's okay, because I built a second one to go with the first one I bought. Now I don't crash anymore. So now I can bling it out like I did my car.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 03:56 PM
Seahawks
United States, CA, Palm Desert
Joined Jan 2014
345 Posts
Great info!

Thanks!!
Palm Desert Heli is offline Find More Posts by Palm Desert Heli
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:25 PM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
1,088 Posts
Appreciate your efforts, Junkman.

Let me just add some perspective for others to consider.

A long time ago I blinged out my mSRs with all kinds of stuff. I probably spent more than you on your200SRX with 5 bladed head in the long run, I suspect.

It made my wallet significantly lighter. Didn't make me fly better. I regret it.

I guess I'm trying to paint the other side of the picture; one may be better saving this money and putting it into other bigger helis.

Nothing wrong in blinging up, just plain economics. Just what you put in there can't go somewhere else, and there's also diminishing returns. May not matter depending on case, ultimately. If you like your 200SRX, and only fly it, can totally understand.

I still fly blade submicros; I however now only put in upgrades that I believe are really beneficial, like in the mCP X BL, the solid main shaft.

my 2 cents
spykez is offline Find More Posts by spykez
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:16 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
... I still fly blade submicros; I however now only put in upgrades that I believe are really beneficial, like in the mCP X BL, the solid main shaft.

my 2 cents
That's exactly why I created this thread. The parts that I am suggesting are not just good looking, they serve a purpose in that they makes this bird more sturdy. I'm all about bling because I can roll like that but for those who can't, I just laid down the bare essentials. I definitely plan to keep both of these birds as this is one nimble helo so the bling is going to serve me well. One thing that I just did (5-blade upgrade), was something that I thought would not serve any major purpose. Man was I wrong! This thing flies so smooth now that it feels like a completely different helicopter.

An experienced pilot told me not to go the bling route because of weight and other issues but I have found out that all bling is NOT created equal. The experienced pilot took my bird for a spin and was thoroughly impressed. Needless to say, some bling started mysteriously showing up on his bird!

Old Oct 26, 2014, 05:32 PM
United Kingdom, Brighstone
Joined Aug 2013
632 Posts
my 2 cents worth...have the 5 blade head (will fit to the new bird when have done all the testing on my test bird ) may be bling but to have a scale look as hh do not make any upgrades ,its the only option . understand the frame is stiffer but frames only 7.00 in uk can live with it (has done near to 80 hrs in the air so far with no problems). the 2 blade upgrade is very weak .have main section only left of upgrade and back to plastic grips , grips bent on heavy landing when servo failed in flight. 13 pinion for more power, carbon tail and motor mount for looks , upgrade swash and anti-rot bracket looks and better made than original still no wear so worth the cost
sweets is online now Find More Posts by sweets
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:54 PM
الآن كنت تتحدث لغتي
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,475 Posts
umm, so uh....is this a CP heli now? I thought 200srx was a fixed pitch bird I don't understand what you did here...you basically built a whole new heli out of new parts. what did you upgrade?
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:32 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
umm, so uh....is this a CP heli now?
No, it's a fixed pitch helicopter, just as it is sold.

Quote:
I don't understand what you did here...
If you read the thread instead of just looking at the pictures, you will see that the thread is about replacing key stock parts with upgraded parts that don't break as easy as stock parts and look better. Since I have pretty much mastered the repair of this bird as shown in this thread, I feel that I have my hand on the pulse of what you can do to it and make it a LOT more crash friendly and less prone to failure.

Quote:
...you basically built a whole new heli out of new parts. what did you upgrade?
First, a picture of a stock 200 SR X:

Now look at what I have. The ONLY thing that wasn't changed was the receiver, the ESC and both motors. EVERYTHING else on my bird has been changed. How I changed it, including a list of all the parts can be found in this thread. As you can see, I changed a hell of a lot of parts because I like bling. It's not a necessary thing to do but then neither is my transportation. I just like bling. That just how I roll.

Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:21 PM
الآن كنت تتحدث لغتي
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,475 Posts
how did you get the blades to go into the holder like that? don't only CP helis do that ??

Quote:
The ONLY thing that wasn't changed was the receiver, the ESC and both motors. EVERYTHING else on my bird has been changed.
that means a total rekit to me, not an upgrade if you only keep motor, speed control and RX...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:07 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
274 Posts
Quote:
how did you get the blades to go into the holder like that? don't only CP helis do that ??
Here's the rebuild thread.

Quote:
that means a total rekit to me, not an upgrade if you only keep motor, speed control and RX...
Rebuild, rekit or upgrade, give it any name you want but it definitely is a long way from stock.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:01 PM
الآن كنت تتحدث لغتي
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
.....Rebuild, rekit or upgrade, give it any name you want but it definitely is a long way from stock.
well, du-uh it's like a brand new heli. probably cost more than that work commuter you got there also...saw the build thread....sorta why got me wondering
Old Oct 27, 2014, 09:04 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
274 Posts
Price wise, it's not for the faint at heart. That's why I made this thread for people who are wondering how much of it is bling and how much of it actually practical.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 05:51 AM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Whoa dude! Nice!
spykez is offline Find More Posts by spykez
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:31 AM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
Whoa dude! Nice!
I'm REALLY getting too old to climb in and out of that thing. I see a pickup truck in the near future.