HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2015, 09:41 AM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno View Post
yup
shameful and illegal. best of luck when it goes wrong .
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:40 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
Very innovative Rickochet.
I could see that design being strengthened considerably by using 1.5mm or so CF plate. I like the use of the ulta thin vertical booms to increase the thrust column efficiency considerably. I too have used the thin vertical booms and slot connection technique. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the extra 10% lift capacity and flight time by keeping the booms thin in planform. However, I believe with a four 1/4" booms in the thrust column, that probably adds to one regular size horizontal boom.
Thanks, Cyberdactyl. It was a cold day, use what you have curiosity project. And being retired I have lots of tinker time. If it doesn't fly well I am out a sheet of foam board.

Awsome looking hex, BTW.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM
Greenland
Joined Dec 2013
182 Posts
here some team flying from yesterday
PKS FPV 28022015 (2 min 26 sec)
rotomotor is online now Find More Posts by rotomotor
Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM
dazed and confused
United States, WA
Joined Jan 2014
450 Posts
I finished the body on my flying frog and my wife painted it for me. Now I just need to mount the hardware and get it flying
Mark001 is offline Find More Posts by Mark001
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark001 View Post
I finished the body on my flying frog and my wife painted it for me. Now I just need to mount the hardware and get it flying
Very cool. Have you named it Kermit?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
Italia, Liguria, La Spezia
Joined Apr 2010
170 Posts
Not a building from scratch, but a readjustment of the beautiful Blade200QX Rakonheli frame.

I wanted a micro quad most accurate and high performing than Blade 200QX.
But I really liked this frame.

Examining the components to be used, the only solution was to put the ESCs in the arms, and because I wanted to use 5x4 propellers, I have completely redesigned the arms.
They are KISS ready, 5" capable and tilt motors of 10 degrees.

The next step was to design a main deck that could accommodate the Atom flight controller, the FPV cam, the VTx, the satellite step-down, the PDB and that would lock the XT30.

Because of limited space, the wiring was not exactly easy.
I soldered the 5V bec directly below the flight controller.

This is the complete wiring.

Here is finished.

Bombolotto 220 FPV - OneShot125 #2 (3 min 49 sec)
liftbag is offline Find More Posts by liftbag
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
dazed and confused
United States, WA
Joined Jan 2014
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
Very cool. Have you named it Kermit?
It has been dubbed "Frogger" from the start because the initial, flat cutout looked like the Frogger character after it had been flattened by a car. LOL
Mark001 is offline Find More Posts by Mark001
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2009
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark001 View Post
It has been dubbed "Frogger" from the start because the initial, flat cutout looked like the Frogger character after it had been flattened by a car. LOL
LOL I like it, put the VTx antenna between the rear arms for a "happy" dead frogger
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirlink View Post
shameful and illegal. best of luck when it goes wrong .
Wrong. It's not illegal. Why is it shameful if one fixes a flight controller by updating it with a software that fixes certain flaws in the M Lite flight controller? The initial drift (some drift for over two minutes) is dangerous if you don't expect your quadcopter to drift all of a sudden to the right pretty fast after lift off.

Shame on DJI for not offering a update for people who have a M Lite controller that doesn't work properly, and possibly cause injury. Shame on you for protecting such business practices. Get off the Kool-Aid man.
Made in Austria is online now Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,986 Posts
Agreed ^^^
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Fly Low and Fast
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2014
407 Posts
This is my latest scratch built quad frame design with folding arms. It's about 400mm and bare frame weighs 212g. Build consists of the following:

Front and back plates are modified HoverThings HT-450 center plates.
Center FC plates are 1.5mm CF plates.
Arms are 10mm square carbon fiber tubes.
mrduncan is online now Find More Posts by mrduncan
Last edited by mrduncan; Yesterday at 03:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
Wrong. It's not illegal. Why is it shameful if one fixes a flight controller by updating it with a software that fixes certain flaws in the M Lite flight controller? The initial drift (some drift for over two minutes) is dangerous if you don't expect your quadcopter to drift all of a sudden to the right pretty fast after lift off.

Shame on DJI for not offering a update for people who have a M Lite controller that doesn't work properly, and possibly cause injury. Shame on you for protecting such business practices. Get off the Kool-Aid man.
Hacking firmware is a breach of ip , end of story "man" .
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink
Old Today, 04:54 AM
Joined Apr 2014
4 Posts
Use Telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by erezjack View Post
I do use failsafe and it works well, either through a predefined toggle on my Tx, or by turning the Tx off completely. The failsafe and return home are features of the NAZA fc, and if the controller is stuck, or goes out of its mind completely for some reason, then it won't activate RTH no matter what you do. In my case, I had a NAZA LITE that went through a hard year of me learning to fly, with lots of crashes that sometimes even caused it's inertial system to get stuck so I had to whack it in order to release the sensors. In the last weeks before the flyaway it started having glitches of going out of control for a few seconds and I had a new NAZA V2 ordered, but it arrived too late. I don't know much about setting failsafe on ESC or Rx , but my guess is that in a case like mine it won't be triggered because the FC still sends signals to the ESC so they think all is normal, only it does what it wants and not what it's ordered to do. In my flyaway it suddenly took of in one direction while climbing fast and within munutes it was at 500m altitude and 7Km distance. Amazingly, I could still see the picture of my GoPro and OSD on my ground station and recognize where it is, then it started descending and turning by itself. At around 100m altitude I lost all video transmission. I went to look for it at the estimated point of impact, but it was in a wide rural area with trees, fields and marshes, so a complete MIA. I think the best solution is some kind of on board flight recording system that sends flight data over cellular network like Flytrex.
I use a FrSky X8R with telemetry, The one time so far that I emergency landed, I simply homed in on the rssi coming from the receiver, it gives you a strength bargraph on Taranis, so using the directional nature of the antenna (minimal signal tip on) i was able to find it within minutes, still on my property, but days before haycutting, so well and truly missing from view. I also fit a tiny lost model beeper hooked to a spare channel which can be heard for around 50 meters. cheap insurance at around $7.00
alicecooper is offline Find More Posts by alicecooper
Old Today, 11:30 AM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirlink View Post

Hacking firmware is a breach of ip , end of story "man" .
If I purchase a flight controller, I can put any firmware on it I choose.
5th is online now Find More Posts by 5th