HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:43 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Build Log
Upgraded Malibu Walmart Boat

I have an Aquacraft Ul-1 that I love driving on the small lake/pond that I have near my house but I do not have a rescue boat. I made a small jet boat that some of you might have seen in the micro section except it just is not reliable or powerful enough.

I went to Walmart and saw this Malibu speed boat on the shelf for $20 so I figured ahh what the heck I will have myself a reliable rescue boat. It is reliable but SLOOOOOWWWWW, maybe 2mph top speed, so I decided to upgrade it. I know it is stupid to upgrade one of these boats but I am not going to drop a bunch of money on it, my max budget for it is $20 not including the boat and radio equipment I already have.

I stripped out all of the electronics, and I am planning on putting in a metal gear micro servo, 370 size brushed ducted fan motor, and 3s 2000mah battery. So far I have put a water cooled jacket on the motor (made from aluminum tubing) for about $3, and mounted it into the stock motor mount.

I went to do a bath tub test and found it to be much faster until about 1/4 throttle when it started going in reverse really slowly? I checked it and found out that the propeller is rubber (to avoid prop strike with kids I guess in pool), so I need a new prop (at high rpm it flexes and loses its pitch/shape), can anyone give me a link to a prop that has a hexagonal shape cutout (not like most props 1/8, 3/16" circle).

I will continue this build over the next week or two.
toxic-trip is offline Find More Posts by toxic-trip
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
boat

Nothing.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Last edited by Mikedown; Oct 28, 2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:22 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,495 Posts
if a prop can not be found you could dip it in resin hang it to dry then sand it should stiffen it up a bit .
as your not looking for speed a pricy prop should not be needed .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:20 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
That is a great idea, I have been looking with no luck. Should I use epoxy 5min, 30min, epoxy resin?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:28 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,495 Posts
i would say any of the above maby the resin as its thinner to say dip it in it may conform better and drip away neater so less sanding .
Last edited by rcphreak; Oct 29, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:49 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,328 Posts
Get a small graupner carbon prop and epoxy it to the shaft . Otherwise change all the gear to hobby quality .
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:48 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Been busy with school but I finally got some more work done on it today!

Got the spare servo glued in, pushrod aligned and setup, plus I did my first "dip" of the prop into epoxy resin. I was wondering how many coats I should do on the prop, I know 1 is too thin and it will just crack under first run.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:17 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,495 Posts
i would start @ 5 or so then test it worst cast senerio is it brakes free and you do it agin .
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:22 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
I have everything done I am just waiting on the prop to add 4 more coats and then sharpen/balance and I will be good to run this boat. I made sure to make everything water resistant so that I do not have to worry about getting a little water in the boat. I added a water cooled pickup on bottom of boat, runs through esc, then motor, then back out the back of the boat.

I used goop to plug all holes, where water cooler exits motor, wires exit motor, put receiver in a bag and zip tied it shut, and used goop on both side of where the wires exit the esc heat shrink.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 11:26 PM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
829 Posts
Your battery is quite puffy.

Better be careful with it, could take your $20 boat to the bottom of your pond in a molten plastic mess.
mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
Old Nov 06, 2011, 12:19 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
I know but thats how I got this battery from LHS, I have over 50+ flights on it with no problem just puffy as poo, so are my other 2 packs that are the same.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:19 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Finally got to run it at my parents pool this weekend, AWESOME!!!

For about $10 plus the electronics I had laying around I have a freaking awesome boat, I did not finish resining the old prop in time so I cut down a 5x3 gws prop to fit the boat and it is awesome!!!

Speed test:
MVI 1230 (0 min 33 sec)

Acceleration test:
MVI_1231.AVI (0 min 8 sec)
Last edited by toxic-trip; Nov 13, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,495 Posts
any vid ????
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:47 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Videos up now