HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2015, 05:20 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
More views of the assembly and some comparisons with the PZ.

-g
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2015, 05:46 PM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
Hull and sponson comparison. Parkzone 53" Icon vs. NFD 71" Icon.

Biggie looks like what someone would build if they had a vertically squeezed photo to go by.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 08:42 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,369 Posts
I not-so-secretly would love to have that big 'un!

Hope the maiden goes well!!!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Feb 11, 2015, 08:47 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
I not-so-secretly would love to have that big 'un!

Hope the maiden goes well!!!

b
Thanks Brian!

Kits like this ARF make me long for BNF Icons. Spoilers. The maiden would be past tense. If the build takes longer than a battery charge, it's too long.

Hey, maybe Parkzone will go big with their V2 Icon. Like the Carbon Z Cub! Pre-installed lighting, ESN-1 livery.

Mmm...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 08:06 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
Nose gear fail

As usual, the nose gear is already broken. Just turning the nose wheel snapped the plastic arm clean off.

All the gear is outta there now. I used Gorilla glue and foam carved from the hull of the NFD A288 to fill in the nose gap. Packing tape will seal the rear cavities. It's not like any of my Icons ever see terra firma.

There's some heft to the rear axle. Wow!

g
Old Feb 12, 2015, 01:45 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
As usual, the nose gear is already broken. Just turning the nose wheel snapped the plastic arm clean off.

All the gear is outta there now. I used Gorilla glue and foam carved from the hull of the NFD A288 to fill in the nose gap. Packing tape will seal the rear cavities. It's not like any of my Icons ever see terra firma.

There's some heft to the rear axle. Wow!

g
Grrrr!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:34 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
Several posters have mentioned replacing the nose gear with a Robart 602.

Although the main gear is stout, I question the location (too far aft of CG) and the heft. I think the rear axle in my F100 weighs less.

This looks like a viable replacement for all the stock gear if you want to keep her versatility intact. Maybe someday…

I'll repurpose the stock axle when I take up R/C tanks.

g
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:01 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
Okay, biggie Icon is coming together nicely. New 6 cell capable BEC is in place, and the three blade prop is balanced and mounted, airfoil correct.

Half throttle test nearly blew framed pictures off the living room wall.

Lake is on the rise again, after winter drop for dock repairs.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:37 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,369 Posts
Quote:
Okay, biggie Icon is coming together nicely. New 6 cell capable BEC is in place, and the three blade prop is balanced and mounted, airfoil correct.

Half throttle test nearly blew framed pictures off the living room wall.

Lake is on the rise again, after winter drop for dock repairs.
I don't mind telling you, I'm getting a wee bit excited for you!

What's the projected maiden date?

b
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:42 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
I don't mind telling you, I'm getting a wee bit excited for you!

What's the projected maiden date?

b
It is exciting to see it come together, even though the build itself is a challenge.

I built all my planes from kits or plans back in the day ('73 or so) and am thrilled by the "no hassle, just fly" freedom we enjoy today. I built "peanut" scale indoor rubber band powered free flight, and all manner of r/c slope soarers, back when you had to actually wait on the glue to dry.

It's a good thing I've got some other Icons lying around to scratch the itch while this one gets ready.

We're freezing our butts off at Myrtle Beach right now. Visiting with the inlaws from Maine who think this is balmy.

We plan to stop by the LHS here in Myrtle today and source a couple misplaced Y-connectors. If all goes well, maiden could be Saturday. Otherwise, first part of the week.

Looking forward to seeing that Beaver take flight!

All the best,

g
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:18 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,369 Posts
Quote:
It is exciting to see it come together, even though the build itself is a challenge.

I built all my planes from kits or plans back in the day ('73 or so) and am thrilled by the "no hassle, just fly" freedom we enjoy today. I built "peanut" scale indoor rubber band powered free flight, and all manner of r/c slope soarers, back when you had to actually wait on the glue to dry.

It's a good thing I've got some other Icons lying around to scratch the itch while this one gets ready.

We're freezing our butts off at Myrtle Beach right now. Visiting with the inlaws from Maine who think this is balmy.

We plan to stop by the LHS here in Myrtle today and source a couple misplaced Y-connectors. If all goes well, maiden could be Saturday. Otherwise, first part of the week.

Looking forward to seeing that Beaver take flight!

All the best,

g
Such a pretty part of the world MB is....

Looking forward to a viddy Saturday!

Maidened the Beav this AM and WHAT a nice plane, honestly!

Piccys are over on the other thread and viddys to follow!

b
Old Feb 28, 2015, 09:19 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
Arrgh. We got back by 3:30 in the first sunshine all week. Lake was like glass. I spent three hours working on the details and lost all daylight.

Now the winds are howling. It's taking all my willpower to not try it. Maybe after a beer or two.

Everything is set up and ready. CG is spot on. 6C is strapped in with a recycled strap from my first replacement Icon fuse.

And that motor. Wow. Just wow.

Embarrassing admission: I had to download the user guide to the dx6 to find out how to reverse the ailerons.

g
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:18 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,369 Posts
Quote:
Arrgh. We got back by 3:30 in the first sunshine all week. Lake was like glass. I spent three hours working on the details and lost all daylight.

Now the winds are howling. It's taking all my willpower to not try it. Maybe after a beer or two.

Everything is set up and ready. CG is spot on. 6C is strapped in with a recycled strap from my first replacement Icon fuse.

And that motor. Wow. Just wow.

Embarrassing admission: I had to download the user guide to the dx6 to find out how to reverse the ailerons.

g
Heheh.....

b
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
901 Posts
Winds dropped off by evening enough for a re-maiden of PZ Icon 2 (Frank) with it's new Plush 40. It hasn't flown since last May. Looks to be an excellent choice to replace the fried original. Thanks to Mr. B for the suggestion!

Alas, no maiden for Biggie yet. I let the go pro roll while doing a final walk around. It looks ready to go to me. But that's all for now.

Biggie Icon A5 Teaser (4 min 30 sec)