SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2015, 02:05 AM
United States, TX, Brownsville
Joined Oct 2014
54 Posts
Question
Seriously, 7 min flight time??

When I fly my Tarot 650, the Naza Lite Voltage First Level Protection activates very soon. Why? When I was first configuring the First Level Protection, I let the loss entry in blank, and then I went to fly my quadcopter. After 2.55 minutes of flying, the Naza Led started flashing red and a telemetry that I used showed 3.98v per cell (12 total). I decided to put .45 for loss (the difference between No Load Voltage and the voltage of 12v calculated after the 2.55minutes flight). Now I can fly for around 7min before the led starts flashing red again. I have read other posts and most people fly their tarots 650 for about 15min. I have uploaded a picture of my Naza configuration for the Low-Voltage alert. (battery fully charged when connected to Naza) What is happening? or what should I know? Thank you

Here is my build:

Frame: Tarot 650
Motors: SunnySky X4108S-11 600kv
Flight controller: Naza lite with GPS module
Props: 14''x4.7
ESC: Afro ESC 30 Amp
Batteries: Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 3S and Turnigy 3S 1000mAh Lipo Battery (for gimbal)
Gimbal: Tarot T-2D with GoPro camera
Bloobury is online now Find More Posts by Bloobury
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2015, 02:22 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
1,124 Posts
sorry, wrong thread
Made in Austria is online now Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Old Mar 22, 2015, 03:04 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,456 Posts
Can you check the no load pack voltage after some minutes rest?
Or, how many mAh put back the charger after these 3 minutes flight ?

The pack could be busted, nanotech are known to be a lottery, half swear on them, half will never use again.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:03 PM
Joined Oct 2014
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Can you check the no load pack voltage after some minutes rest?
Or, how many mAh put back the charger after these 3 minutes flight ?

The pack could be busted, nanotech are known to be a lottery, half swear on them, half will never use again.
I attached pictures of my charger after I connected it to the battery after the 3 minutes of flight.
Last edited by Bloobury; Mar 23, 2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:54 PM
Joined May 2012
166 Posts
The Naza "load" compensation feature is, IMO, pointless and confusing. The idea behind the Naza is that the battery voltage under load isn't what matters for a low voltage cutoff, it's the voltage at rest. So if you want to stop flying at 3.7V and the loaded voltage is 0.5V lower, the Naza would actually fly to 3.2V "loaded". When you land and the load comes off the battery, it rebounds to 3.7V as intended. Their claim is that you can fly longer because of this.

I disagree. The chemical reaction that damages a LiPo is a function of the actual voltage across the anode and cathode. Loaded voltage is voltage just the same. If you want to fly your packs to 3.2V, set the "load" to zero and the low voltage cutout to 3.2V and you're doing the same thing that the Naza is doing, i.e., ruining your batteries.

I set my Naza for a load drop of 0V. I fly a 4S. I have the first level warning at at 3.8V/Cell, 15.2V. I have the second warning set at 3.5V/Cell, 14V.
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:05 PM
Joined Oct 2014
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666 View Post
The Naza "load" compensation feature is, IMO, pointless and confusing. The idea behind the Naza is that the battery voltage under load isn't what matters for a low voltage cutoff, it's the voltage at rest. So if you want to stop flying at 3.7V and the loaded voltage is 0.5V lower, the Naza would actually fly to 3.2V "loaded". When you land and the load comes off the battery, it rebounds to 3.7V as intended. Their claim is that you can fly longer because of this.

I disagree. The chemical reaction that damages a LiPo is a function of the actual voltage across the anode and cathode. Loaded voltage is voltage just the same. If you want to fly your packs to 3.2V, set the "load" to zero and the low voltage cutout to 3.2V and you're doing the same thing that the Naza is doing, i.e., ruining your batteries.

I set my Naza for a load drop of 0V. I fly a 4S. I have the first level warning at at 3.8V/Cell, 15.2V. I have the second warning set at 3.5V/Cell, 14V.
I kind of understand. So, I should set zero for "loss", zero for "loaded" and, 9.6 for "no load"? I'm using a 3S battery
Last edited by Bloobury; Mar 23, 2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:29 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,456 Posts
So if you consumed 1.7Ah for 3 minute, the whole 6Ah pack would be about 11 minutes.
How good or bad is this depends of the weight of your setup ... 11 minutes should be for 2400 grams, and if this is true then you are too heavy, flying with a high point throttle, at over 70%.
For 50% you should either have 1700-1800 grams and hover about 17 min, either go to 4s, if my guess about weight is true, and you have over 2kg.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:45 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2003
94 Posts
He didn't consume 1.7Ah in 3 minutes. There are some losses in charging. So it's more like 1.5amp hours, perhaps less.

That said, If he's doing LVC at 3.7v, that's where his run time is going. Getting a battery right down to 3v isn't completely necessary, but 3.7v is above the mean voltage for a LiPo. That's like treating your cars gas tank as empty at more than half full.

1.5amp hours for 3 minutes, means he should have more like 11-12 minutes of flight time.

I'd set a timer on my transmitter, fly it for incrementally longer periods, and check recovered pack voltage after landing. At least if I were worried like the OP is. Keep ti low for that last minute. :-)
nerobro is offline Find More Posts by nerobro