SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
698 Posts
Discussion
a decent 3 - 3.2 meter sailplane with flaps /ailerons

ok so whats a good already to fly 3.2 meter sailplane with ailerons and flaps max funding is $ 300.00 three hundred . i would buy a bird of time but the wing is a little weak for me pluss no ailerons or flaps. I just want something big that i can see and that thermals well
flying ferret is online now Find More Posts by flying ferret
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2015, 02:14 PM
Joined Aug 2014
698 Posts
i looked at the hk atheros i dont want to deal with 4s and by the time its done looks prety expensive. I am starting to think rebuilding another foam bot. The last one i goofed up because when i made the tewmplates to cut the foam i made the wings to thin and didnot use 2" foam also i cut the wings around the template instead of inside . Re enforcing the wings is not an issue with me, so I am also thinking of the zephyr just for fun and was wondering what section it would be found on this forum ?., The next question wood bee how does it thermal ? i know it looks fast and fun but if you dont want to just buzz around at 60 mph can you just float around and thermal
Old Aug 18, 2015, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,222 Posts
Hi, FF.

That's a tough order! The only thing that leaps to mind for your size and budget is the Geronimo 3.0 from FlyFly/Hobby88. It would probably cost a ton to ship if you can't find it from another vendor.

http://www.hobby88.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=534

If you want more of a pure "floater" and would be willing to drop to 2.5 meter then the TopModel Avia or the cross tail Prelude from Esprit and a couple other vendors would be pretty hard to beat.

http://www.espritmodel.com/avia-2-5e...s-arc-arf.aspx

Or you could shop around the TopModel collection. Depending on the day's exchange rate and shipping costs you might be able to get one around 3 meters for a bit over $300.00 with shipping. Every time I get myself talked into ordering direct from TopModel I start having nightmares about my beautiful new plane sitting at the bottom of a shipping container full of loose bowling balls but they really do have something for everyone. You might also find that Esprit would special order one for you if they don't carry the exact model you are looking for.

The Albatross 2.95meter Ready to Cover version is quite attractive at $323+ but I haven't gotten a shipping quote from them.

http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&...etail&id=10986

And here's a link to their big powered glider page.

http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&...u_eshop_id=374

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 18, 2015, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by mmattock
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
437 Posts
Is this close enough?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2381216

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:11 PM
Joined Aug 2014
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattock View Post
you know that thing is a beast im glad you posted that thanks . its hard to tell from picturdes. i could order a bot wing and have it by friday and have a fuselage for it by then but no flaps or ailerons .

this glider i looked at already but it looks a bit to big plus i will need 4s bats its getting a bit pricy with buyying all the parts and batteries with a 4s charger. i think im going to go ahead and get a wee little e flight viking to satisfy my high speed aerobatic thirst and iether finish the build i goofed up or start another foam bot this time using the 2 inch blue foam . and cut the parts out on the inside of the template. sorry i dont want to get anyone confused. i figured out that i can epoxy glass over a plastic sheet then wrap it over foam and when the plkastic gets peeled off the finish is like glass lol . just not sure how that would work on a large wing but i can hold off a bit and look into vacume bagging . no mater how i look at it home built bird of time can be cheeper and better then store bought
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:14 PM
Joined Aug 2014
698 Posts
i wonder if i can get a spirrit 100 and just make the wing a bit wider by making extra ribs ??? i built one once it was a cool plane but kind of like a rock . no floater like a radian wonder if theyl come out with a 3 meter radian lol
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,595 Posts
why this stuck for 4s "need" ?
f5j or ales people launch similar planes with 3s without any issues
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
United States, NJ, Nutley
Joined Mar 2015
242 Posts
The challenge is the budget Most of the stuff from Top model flies well. Most guys on the cheap fly Radians.

You could also look for something used.

I would stay way from anything Hobbyking. Every glider I have from HK (I have a few) sort of are more trouble than they are worth which isn't saying much.
Bmwjoon is online now Find More Posts by Bmwjoon