SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2014, 01:15 AM
Wilsonville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
794 Posts
Discussion
Can F3P Flying be Learned in a Sim?

Can F3P flying be learned in a simulator like R/C Desk Pilot? I've spent my whole life flying sailplanes upright. But seeing F3P hast me excited to see if I can slow precise aerobatics.

Edit: While looking for a free soaring simulator I just found PicaSim which has an indoor electric plane. So many years of control inputs to keep the plane upright.....
Keith Watson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Watson
Last edited by Keith Watson; Dec 30, 2014 at 02:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:35 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,536 Posts
I find the SIM a very useful tool.
I tend to make the same mistakes on it I make with the real model.

It works best if you use it along with a model and work on specific things, not just fly around randomly. Also a very good way to learn a sequence.

You do have to pick the right model in the SIM, and it won;t ever be exactly the same as a real model. Generally the SIM is easier and more forgiving.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 30, 2014, 02:23 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
I find the SIM a very useful tool.
I tend to make the same mistakes on it I make with the real model.

It works best if you use it along with a model and work on specific things, not just fly around randomly. Also a very good way to learn a sequence.

You do have to pick the right model in the SIM, and it won;t ever be exactly the same as a real model. Generally the SIM is easier and more forgiving.

Pat MacKenzie
I agree with Pat, sim is a great learning tool! It is a safe place to learn a pattern and where you can master the basic control inputs.

I actually find that flying the pattern with my actual plane is easier than flying it on sim.

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
Old Dec 30, 2014, 09:00 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I agree with Pat, sim is a great learning tool! It is a safe place to learn a pattern and where you can master the basic control inputs.

I actually find that flying the pattern with my actual plane is easier than flying it on sim.

Free
It can be easier to keep track of where the model is relative to the walls in real life, on the SIM you can kind of get lost. I generally don't fly the SIM in indoor backgrounds. They tend to be too small, either that or the scale is out relative to the model.

I am using Aerofly Pro, could be different/better in other SIMs.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 31, 2014, 02:58 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,382 Posts
I learned to torque roll on Aerofly Pro. My first real life torque roll was pretty good. Then, it suddenly occurred to me that I was flying in real life. After that my torque rolls were more iffy.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 03, 2015, 11:02 PM
Wilsonville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
794 Posts
Thanks for the input on this. The indoor electric plane in the sim I am using seems to fly like the F3P Youtube videos I've watched. It is a little fast though and gets far away quickly.

Anecdote: Years ago I used to work on real flight simulators mounted on motion platforms. Mounted in the cockpits they all had "the big yellow button" as I called it -- the stop/reset button. I am glad RC sims have a reset button for all these times my thumbs go in the wrong direction.
Keith Watson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Watson