Old Sep 04, 2014, 04:18 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,243 Posts
Alert
Sony A5100 - looks promising

Hi everyone

I've been a fan of the NEX-5 series of cameras since they came out. Good resolution, large 1.5x crop sensor, no mirror, fast burst mode.

With the NEX-5 series stopping at the 5T, the A**** range was launched. The A6000 came out in May this year with several key improvements such as a 24.3MP sensor, a massive 179 phase-detection areas for auto-focus, and an even faster burst mode.

However, Sony have just released the A5100 which, for aerial photography purposes at least, looks to be better still!

Headlines include:

- Same 24.3MP sensor and processor as the A6000
- 6fps burst mode (slower than the A6000's 11fps, but 6 is still very respectable / useful)
- 1080p 60p at 50Mbps using the latest XAVC S codec – a first for a mirrorless camera I believe
- According to reviewers, less pronounced rolling shutter and moire / aliasing than the A6000
- Less pronounced rolling shutter than the Panasonic GH4, the Canon 5D MkIII, the Sony A7S and the Canon 1D C!!
- 10.5 stops of dynamic range, only slightly less than the GH4 at 10.9 stops
- Clean HDMI output in 4.2.2 8-bit
- Cheaper than the A6000 at just $699 with the 16-50mm power zoom, and less still if you find a reseller willing to sell the body on its own!

Reviews are here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-a5100
http://www.cinema5d.com/lab-review-s...c-range-power/
http://www.cinema5d.com/exclusiveson...eview-footage/

I was curious how well the 10-18mm lens I use at the moment for aerial photography would fair on the higher resolution sensor of the A6000/A5100, and so far it's sounding very promising!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3721434

Definitely one to watch ...

Cheers

David

PS. There's no IR trigger which might be a deal-breaker for some, but I'm planning to keep using my servo trigger, which hasn't let me down since I started using it in 2006
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2014, 02:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,126 Posts
This video specs are also for the new action camera launched by Sony, maybe same video procesor...

"... 120 fps high-speed recording at 720p and the ability to record in 1080 video with Sony’s 50Mbps XAVC S codec."

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/03/sony...ion-cam-lineup
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 09, 2014, 04:50 AM
Slovenia
Joined May 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster View Post
PS. There's no IR trigger which might be a deal-breaker for some, but I'm planning to keep using my servo trigger, which hasn't let me down since I started using it in 2006
Hello David,

the A5000 and A6000 can easily be triggered via direct cable and a suitable trigger like RCCC, StratoSnapper,.... So I guess, the A5100 will be also.

Will test it when I get my hands on one.

Best regards,

Alex
Marsuc is offline Find More Posts by Marsuc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Marsuc; Sep 09, 2014 at 04:55 AM. Reason: added link to video
Old Sep 09, 2014, 11:33 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,243 Posts
Hi Alex, thanks for the feedback I did see something about a wired trigger being available for the AXXXX series of cameras – what is the plug that goes into the camera? I already have an R/C switch, and if triggering the shutter is just a case of shorting two wires together in the plug then I'm sure I could get such a system up and running ...

Many thanks for the tip!

David

Edit: Ignore that, I've just found it on your site!

http://www.mobilexcopter.com/shop.ht...tegory=3342127

Presumably if you keep the connections shorted the burst mode of the camera will work too? Does that plug also allow for video recording to be started and stopped?
Old Sep 09, 2014, 12:39 PM
Slovenia
Joined May 2008
82 Posts
Hello David,

yes, if the pins are shorted and burst mode selected it will trigger continuously.

No, only shutter operation is available. I have to test the LANC commands and pinout for additional options, but several solutions already exist so I'm in no hurry.

Best regards,

Alex
Marsuc is offline Find More Posts by Marsuc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GoPro 3 lens protection
Old Sep 09, 2014, 01:33 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,243 Posts
Hi Alex,

That sounds very promising. Whilst the shutter servo solution worked very well, I much preferred the way my Canon 550D was triggered – with an R/C switch shorting two contacts together. Sounds like I can finally get back to those 'good old days'!

Not a problem with the video, it was always going to be a nice-to-have rather than an essential.

Many thanks!

David
Old Sep 09, 2014, 03:24 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,679 Posts
Ordered one.
As i'm in EU, won't be soon (delay of several weeks, comparing to USA).
Will replace my NEX 5N....
Too bad, no IR - had so much stuff on it (DIY timelapse box, remote shutters and so on), need to sell all that stuff now =)

Clean HDMI sounds great so far.
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:14 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,243 Posts
Yes I've heard reports of late September to early October ... I'm looking forward to the extra resolution and the high-bitrate video. Not to mention the same form factor as the NEX-5T that I'm using at the moment!

Cheers

David
Old Sep 10, 2014, 02:19 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,126 Posts
Why do you expect to be better than 5N ?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 02:38 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Why do you expect to be better than 5N ?
- Video bitrate (28 => 50Mbps)
- lighter
- more pixels (i know, i know... But sometimes (not for aerial photos) ir need it too)
- less noise at high ISO (RAW, no "high iso NR" applied) - look samples
- wifi builtin (not for aerial, but nice to have when traveling, phone instead of IR remote)
- better AF (not needed for aerial, also not really needed because all my lens are fully manual, but i still use hilight on LCD)
... and other cool stuff, like 180 LCD, extra fine JPG (for timelapse) and so on. Yes, for aerial stuff not so much value added... Wanna buy mine? :P
Old Sep 10, 2014, 03:31 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,126 Posts
I am leaned more to A6000, I want viewfinder, not selfie lcd
Old Sep 10, 2014, 04:52 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,679 Posts
Heavy! Needs gayball re-tunning.
Almost 100g compared to 5100 makes big difference...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 05:44 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,126 Posts
not using it for flight
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:45 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
330 Posts
I'm interested in the XAVC S at 50Mbps codec in the a5100. Hopefully that will reduce the amount of moire and aliasing I get with my NEX-5r when I get rooftops and power lines in the shots.
Chadfish is offline Find More Posts by Chadfish
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:39 PM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsuc View Post
Hello David,

the A5000 and A6000 can easily be triggered via direct cable and a suitable trigger like RCCC, StratoSnapper,.... So I guess, the A5100 will be also.

Will test it when I get my hands on one.

Best regards,

Alex
Marsuc, have you tested already A5100 with remote trigerring? It's just new topic for me, I'm newby in the RC and I have some questions, I would be very happy if you help me. So these are the questions:

1. I used to use NEX5T, now I'd like to use A6000 or better A5100, but I've heard that A5100 doesn't have IR port, I just can't find it in any specifications of the A5100, no "irda, ir remote control, etc." information included. So let's say A5100 doesn't have IR remote control. Do you think that it can be triggered via direct cable and for example StratoSnapper 2? I mean, let's say that the plane starts the mission and it have to make a pictures every second. What do you think? would it be possible via this direct cable and stratosnapper 2?
2. I just don't know why A5100 is cheaper than NEX5T, do you have any idea? theoretically it's better camera than NEX5T. And the third lord - A6000, what do you think guys, which camera is the best for aerial photogrammetry? or maybe, which solution? my goal is that the camera should do the pictures for example - every single second, automatically, programmed somehow. Do you think it's possible? if yes, could you help me with the hardware? which cables, connectors should I use?
3. I know that there's some system with NEX5T and IR diode, and it works, but I think that A6000 or A5100 would be better, they have the same APS-C sensor and more pixels, and if we are talking about the pictures...
4. Do you think this matters? maybe Sony just packed more pixels which are not effective?

I'll be very very thankful if you help me to find the answers.

Regards!
simmin is offline Find More Posts by simmin