SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:45 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,538 Posts
When you are shopping for LED's, look at the rating they have before buying. They use a number based on their MCD level. I bought various different ratings from 50MCD to 8000MCD and there is a dramatic difference in brightness. I bought some 8000MCD 3mm clear LED's that are on the tail of my TOW Defender and trust me, I can see that in the brightest sunshine we get. If you get them from places that specialize in lighting for models (especially night flying), you will usually get the brightest ones available. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:27 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
When you are shopping for LED's, look at the rating they have before buying. They use a number based on their MCD level. I bought various different ratings from 50MCD to 8000MCD and there is a dramatic difference in brightness. I bought some 8000MCD 3mm clear LED's that are on the tail of my TOW Defender and trust me, I can see that in the brightest sunshine we get. If you get them from places that specialize in lighting for models (especially night flying), you will usually get the brightest ones available. Hope this helps.

Don
Hey Don ,
Do you have a link to a good site for those Led's????
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:36 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,538 Posts
I would use RC Lights as a source of the LED's. They are extremely bright (I have only used their 5mm kits) and are exactly what the doctor ordered. I think they go for as little as a couple of bucks a pair with installation hardware. They have them in white, red, green, and blue. Here is a link to the page with the 3mm LED's and their specs. Take care.

Don

http://www.rc-lights.com/products/3MM.html
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:57 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
13,240 Posts
Thanks Don!
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,415 Posts
Hi Don thanks mate got link will get some on order not bad 2 for $15 inc shipping
Well its done now castle esc fitted spin blades on 8mins hover and loads of battery left , sound good at 1900 rpm
Trex 500 Cobra all set up done (7 min 48 sec)
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Last edited by holtneil; Feb 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 03:22 AM
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
959 Posts
Neil

It looks real good.. Keep it up
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:04 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,538 Posts
Very nice. It sounds good, the tail is solid, now all you need is a nice place to take it out for a good trial flight. Take care.

Don
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:41 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,415 Posts
Hi guys I am using my little airfield to get used to going from throttle hold to normal 30% throttle then flick into idle up 1 for 70% 1900 head speed and if I want idle up 2 1950 head speed
As this is my first real scale heli it feels strange to only be able to stop the motor by the throttle hold
Or would it be best to have zero throttle flat line in normal mode and then go idle up 1 to spin up and fly at the 1900 head speed
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:55 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,538 Posts
This is how I set my throttle curve in my Jet Ranger.

Normal
0 - 100 - 100 - 100 - 100

Idle 1
100 - 100 - 100 - 100 - 100

When I land, I do use the throttle hold to shut the motor off and then switch to Normal after it is cut. You might find your own method of shutting down as long as you are comfortable doing it consistently. The idea is to not have negative pitch during the shutdown. Hope this helps.

Don

PS: 100 is set to 1450 rpm in the Castle software and I have 1400 set for 30 and 70 but don't use them at all.
Last edited by Keyrigger; Feb 26, 2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Incorrect setting
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,415 Posts
Hi Don in the castle software direct governor access do I have to use position 1 can I just set head speed in position 2 and 3 so position one has no throttle then I would have normal and hold mode with no motor running
Last edited by holtneil; Feb 26, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:07 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,538 Posts
I guess you could use Normal for a zero throttle position but I don't see the need. If you use two positions out of the Idle Up switch the way I have done it, there is no need to worry about it. It is something you will become accustomed to in a very short time. If you were in the air and hit the Normal switch, it would be just like hitting the Throttle hold and the helicopter would plummet out of the sky. Set the first position to a speed that you know will support the model in the air. Do make sure that the Head Speed Change Rate is set to slow, not the default position.

There are advanced options that you can have so that your ESC will not shut down when the Throttle Hold switch is flipped. This will allow the ESC to send no power to the motor but will allow you to do autorotations (if you need to) and then spool-up fast. As you may or may not know, when a speed controller is brought to its zero throttle position, after usually 15 seconds, it restarts itself and when you flip the switch back, it will spool up slowly. That can result in what happened to my first Jet Ranger. I had 15 seconds to spool it up but only 10 seconds of air, sigh.

For the moment, set three identical or different rpm settings but use one only in your transmitter. You could try a slower rpm for light winds and a higher setting for heavy winds. I did that for a while but now use one single rpm setting for Normal and Idle 1. I don't even use Idle 2 on any of my helicopters anymore. Hope this helps.

Don
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,415 Posts
Hi Don yes thank you thats sorted it for me now hope weather is better soon want to fly not hover lol