HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2009, 04:49 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,147 Posts
Discussion
GRYPHON aerobatic wing

How many of you remember or currently have or even wish you had one or two of these?

Next question: How many of you would be interested in acquiring a sub-kit and plans for this great classic flying wing?

I am currently building a new updated GRYPHON and exploring putting together a sub-kit CD with plans and templates for the model with some new and innovative features for today’s flyer. Once I have clearance I’m ready to fly with the sub-kit and will offer it up. I am interested in your pro’s, con’s and constructive criticisms.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Wing Span – 71 Inches
Airfoil – Full symmetrical
Wing Area – 965 square inches, (6.7 sq. ft.)
Airborne weight – 2.0 to 2.5 pounds ideal
Wing loading – 4.8 to 6oz
Radio – 2 to 4 channel standard or mixing

Thanks for your interest and comments…EJ

Maiden begins on message #251" but read the whole thread as well...
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler
Last edited by oldscooler; Sep 22, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Wow! Very cool. That looks a lot smaller than 71". How does it handle higher lift at those loadings?
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old May 21, 2009, 05:21 PM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,492 Posts
didn't that have a duralene fuse?
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Old May 21, 2009, 05:23 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_editor
Wow! Very cool. That looks a lot smaller than 71". How does it handle higher lift at those loadings?
The more lift the more aerobatics! It wont disappoint. This plane can fly very quick with its symmetrical wing, right side up as well as inverted. It can be a fun flyer but really is a great aerobatic tool for those thirsting for BIG and TECHNICAL AEROBATICS. Here's a pic showing more perspective of its size...EJ
Last edited by oldscooler; May 21, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 05:24 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBOZman
didn't that have a duralene fuse?
The SUPER GRYPHON did by Bob Martin. This is the original OLD SCHOOL wood unit...EJ
Old May 21, 2009, 05:37 PM
__Jackass Savant__
Joined Feb 2005
2,492 Posts
is 2-2.5lbs ballasted then?? I can't imagine ballasting a super-crunchy?!?

Boz
Old May 21, 2009, 05:42 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
I remember seeing the son of the creater of the Gryphon (if my balky memory is correct) at Glider Point in Yorba Linda loooooong long ago. That guy could really fly!
This must be the early to mid 90's. Notice the nice grass left over from the the Yorba Linda Radio Control Soaring Society's days before they got kicked out by the State Park.

dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old May 21, 2009, 06:26 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns
I remember seeing the son of the creater of the Gryphon (if my balky memory is correct) at Glider Point in Yorba Linda loooooong long ago. That guy could really fly!
This must be the early to mid 90's. Notice the nice grass left over from the the Yorba Linda Radio Control Soaring Society's days before they got kicked out by the State Park.
Glider Point is still open to RC soaring. What did the YLRCSS get kicked out for?

EJ
Old May 21, 2009, 06:28 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,147 Posts
Quote:
is 2-2.5lbs ballasted then?? I can't imagine ballasting a super-crunchy?!?

Boz
Your imagination is correct! What do you mean ballested? No, thats the finished build flying weight...EJ
Old May 21, 2009, 06:32 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,286 Posts
Foam core wings are the way to go for slope models with a low mounted wing...
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old May 21, 2009, 07:02 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Foam core wings are the way to go for slope models with a low mounted wing...
I've already thought about foam cores. I want to build and offer the original design first. One issue is If this plane gets to 3lbs and beyond, the aerobatic quality drops way off from what i've read. The other more important issue is the plane needs 1-1/8" washout at the tips! Thats a ton to build into a foam core construction. It would have to be bagged in a special bed, then there goes the weight.

EJ
Old May 21, 2009, 07:12 PM
__Jackass Savant__
Joined Feb 2005
2,492 Posts
you don't bag EPP foam. Foam builds would be lighter than a glass composite build, and a hella lot more durable. Balsa built up wings like in the photo would be way too fragile for most sloping unless you have the one in a hundred LZ.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:23 PM
__Jackass Savant__
Joined Feb 2005
2,492 Posts
Two things that don't seem to add up to a slope plane IMB are:

1) Balsa & covering + fully symmetrical airfoil seems doomed on slope. Unless your initials are BPLR

2) Aerobatic planes "normally" aren't the most fragile build method.

YMMV,
Good luck.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:28 PM
__Jackass Savant__
Joined Feb 2005
2,492 Posts
washout on a symmetrical airfoil?

If you need that much washout, you might want to consider another airfoil. That much washout would have to effect inverted performance.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:58 PM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,147 Posts
Quote:
washout on a symmetrical airfoil?

If you need that much washout, you might want to consider another airfoil. That much washout would have to effect inverted performance.
Another airfoil, are you kidding? Thats the secret of this plane. And yes, inverted is virtually the same as right side up. There is a specific twist in this wing we are still analyzing. This is a nostalgic plane for those interested in nostalgic technology. Its not for everyone. Its OLD S"COOL. The challenge for you 21st century pilots is, can you fly a "crunchie" as you call them to its limit and land it correctly. This is not supposed to be a super dooper wing build everyone has accepted these days as the norm. I've built 3m F3B Eagles and everything in between, so i know where some of you are coming from.This one is old, its cool and it flies beautifully, more than i believe most of you who have never seen one fly.

I appreciate your comments and i asked for them. But im not interested in improving an already successful design that perfectly suits those genuinely interested. I'll bet I and my flying buddy can land this thing with no issues of breakage at any of our flying sites. You would be VERY surprised of its durability at only what, 36oz. Its a feather.

EJ
Last edited by oldscooler; Mar 28, 2010 at 02:10 PM.