Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
I had mine flying pretty well until last fall when I got it up in the AZ sun and lost it. Crashed it hard. I had done a FBL upgrade using the Align DFC head and the Spektrum AR7200 BX controller. I also had the Align plastic tail box on it. Running the original belt drive components. The One way bearing shaft needs to be replaced because of excessive drive gear wobble right now.
I have been very happy with this Heli and I still have a couple of original parts on it. The rest have been replaced with Align parts after crashes. My original kit flew OK for me, but I was a newbie with it and basically just hovered it and did some big air forward flight. No 3D type tricks at all. Performance got better as I replaced crashed parts and really improved when I went FBL with it. It has been a fun Heli for me and I will continue to fly it once I replace the one way bearing shaft.

ROG
Yep, the Arizona sun is a killer isn't it? Another month or so and we'll be bursting into flames here if we don't run fast enough from A/C to A/C.

It sounds like you're happy with the FBL conversion on yours. Mine is all done and waiting to go out for FBL maiden. Sadly not this weekend though. Looks like I have to work again.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2015, 01:18 AM
Find More Posts by whitehedr
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
642 Posts
Extremely pleased with the Align DFC. I had it flying as smoothly as my Goblin500. I was really upset with myself when I crashed it. It took me several months to,decide to fix it.

ROG
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by jombo
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,539 Posts
I feel your pain . That is the most scariest scenario that could happen to me too . Where I fly in the mornings , the sun is to my right . I usually try to keep her to the left side of the field and sun somewhat to my back . Every once in a while it would go too far right into the sun. I almost lost them a few times like that . Once I put them in the fuselages , it was better but still somewhat blinding .

I lost a 450 that way , when I was first learning to fly . Just learning tail in side to side movements and only 30 ft up . It gets small and blinding quick .
Didn't do that again for at least 2 weeks , pretty shaken up after that . You can hear it in the air , but can't see it . Shut her down quick and a big slurp Ka'thump in the wet ground .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:12 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Extremely pleased with the Align DFC. I had it flying as smoothly as my Goblin500. I was really upset with myself when I crashed it. It took me several months to,decide to fix it.

ROG
That's good to hear for me as someone brand new to dropping the flybar. I have read about people preferring FBL to DFC on 450's because of servo damage with DFC. I just couldn't find a 500 FBL head in the USA for a reasonable price then I stumbled onto a Tarot DFC head and 2 mainshafts on ebay for $40.00 shipped. Couldn't pass that up. It fits well and looks great and seems very well built.

I have to leave for work soon and may take the FBL converted Beam 450 with me to try to fly if I get a break. I've at least had a few short hovers with that one. The 500 has yet to be spun up since conversion so will wait on that until I can take it out with no rush involved.

The only good part of having to work today is at least still being able to surf the forums when I have to be in my office.

Joe
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by pdooley
You can call me Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
1,142 Posts
Try to get some "fragile" servo arms if you fly with the DFC head. That should hopefully minimize servo damage.
Tarot 500 parts seem to be getting lesser, if not scarce. They stopped kitting the 500 size a while back. A shame really, as it's the best clone out there. I have a couple Tarot FBL heads so I'm good for now. The HK/EXI/Tarot bird I have now does ok on the flybar but I'm curious to see the difference with a kbar.
pdooley is online now Find More Posts by pdooley
Old Apr 11, 2015, 01:15 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,543 Posts
I can't do anything right. Brought the Beam FBL and everything but the flight batteries to work this morning.

I'm still waiting for contractors to show up so it gave me time to think about the EXI 500 conversion. I had to grind down the servo to swash links about 5mm on each end for the DFC conversion. I don't think I'm comfortable with the smaller thread contact and the possibility of them pulling out with the increased direct load from the blades. I'll probably order up some of the correct length turnbuckles before I try to fly it again. I have turnbuckles on the Beam 450 and they're SO much easier to adjust.

Joe
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by whitehedr
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
642 Posts
I finally have my EXI/Trex500 flying again. I rebuilt the tail with new bearings and fresh lube for the thrust bearings. That got rid of the last of the vibe issues I have been experiencing. I am a happy camper for sure.

ROG
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr