SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2008, 01:11 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Discussion
Death of my Hobby Lobby Mini Telemaster

Regarding the Death of my Hobby Lobby Mini Telemaster. I got this plane, from HL on sale, I think for Thanksgiving day. I just maidened it about a month ago. It was a cute plane, but I don't understand all the fuss about it, mine flew terribly. Perhaps, I built it incorrectly, but being an ARF, I find that hard to believe. I utilized an atlas 2317/20 outrunner with a 9x7 APC E prop, 3s1p lipo.
The first time it was flown, I asked a friend to fly it. He said it flew like the tail was dragging through the wind. The second time, I flew it, it cartwheeled on landing slowly and the wing broke in half. It was then I noticed the wing was missing the center brace, not the plywood joiner, the other wood dowel.

I contacted HL support and they graciously sent me a replacement, but since I had repaired the wing, I kept trying with it. On my third flight, it flew all over the sky, upon landing the tail separated. I glued it back. On today, this being my fourth flight, it flew again as on the third 'squirrely'. There was hardly any wind. My hobby zone super cub flew great by comparison. This time, I had to fight to keep it even in the sky. Upon landing, it again crashed. This time the fuse is toast. I'm thinking about shelving it entirely, and modifying my super cub with ailerons. I don't know what all the fuss is about this plane, I think it flys terribly, is fragile, should have had a battery hatch for convenience and is a waste. I have two micro tms to maiden, I expect they'll be better than the mini TM. Did I do something wrong in building it?
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2008, 09:59 PM
dingbaticuselmaximus
Georgia
Joined Jun 2003
124 Posts
Sorry you had such bad luck Tae. I built mine from a kit and it is a blast to fly. No bad manners and glides like a hawk, Almost have to fly it into the ground on landing. Maybe the _________ ( you fill in ) that prefabed the Barf was having a bad day and put in a double dose of gremlins. Try the kit. You will enjoy it.
Phantom2plus2 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom2plus2
Old Jun 01, 2008, 06:36 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom2plus2
Sorry you had such bad luck Tae. I built mine from a kit and it is a blast to fly. No bad manners and glides like a hawk, Almost have to fly it into the ground on landing. Maybe the _________ ( you fill in ) that prefabed the Barf was having a bad day and put in a double dose of gremlins. Try the kit. You will enjoy it.
Thanks for the kind words. I am talking about the mini TM arf. I have two micro TM kits as well, one is built, but as yet, unmaidened. I also have the electric TM, 6' version. It flies well. This mini seemed destined from the get go for the garbage heap, I was unimpressed by it from the get go.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 02:27 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Well, I could not let her die. So I started to repair her. I'm wondering now if the atlas outrunner I put on her nose is too powerful for this light weight plane and perhaps I should use a smaller motor? Hmm.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 06:50 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Henry, the atlas seems ok for the plane. Make sure you add down and right thrust when you mount the motor to keep it from pitching up when power is applied.

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Jun 04, 2008, 12:47 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Gerry,

I weighed it without the battery/motor and it was at 15 ozs. I think it would be a good candidate for an esskay. You remember last time I flew it, it was all over the sky with the wings rising and dipping constantly?
Old Jun 04, 2008, 07:38 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Sounds like you are tail heavy...twitchy and 'tail drags through the air'? Try moving cog forward a tad and see what happens. Since your wing was messed up from factory, maybe incidence could be off causing it to pitch up?

Agreed with the motor mount thrust angles.

Keep at it, challenges are fun
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jun 05, 2008, 09:08 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I am rebuilding the front end now. It's not very pretty or straight. It may fly again, and it may crash again, and I may toss it, but I usually try to salvage stuff. I thank you for your encouragement.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 05:01 PM
The Dry side of New Orleans
Joined Mar 2007
525 Posts
I used a hobby-city blue wonder I had laying around and she flew fine until I threw the CG off (forgot to secure it in the nose). I needed alot of weight in the nose to keep her from tragging the tail through the air. If you have one, try a BP21 motor. I have yet to try it as my MTM is currently sitting on the bench waiting for the tail to be rebuilt from the last crash.

the BP21 is a heavier, less efficient motor then the HobbyCity blue wonder with with the added weight it will probably help...

Mine was also in kit form when I got it, and was my first balsa built.
skotman is offline Find More Posts by skotman
Old Jun 09, 2008, 05:12 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
weird! I fly the micro telemaster with a welgard 2204 motor (built up mount) and it flies like a dream and even takes on winds over 15mph with no problem.
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Jun 10, 2008, 06:32 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Well, mine is toast now. I have a new wing, a damaged wing, and a damaged fuselage. The fuse is misshapen now, and will likely never fly right again. I have only had 3 flights on her, and consider her one of my poorest investments to date, only 2 flights less than my miserable wattage odyssey which out of the gate was underpowered (speed 180) when I was a newbie and the plastic fuse had to be tossed as it cracked and couldn't be repaired. On the other hand, the wing was very nice, and saw service in a frankenplane I flew for awhile! I may fly the wing on something else, such as a hobby zone super cub fuse I had, lying around. But it may be that I over powered it with an atlas 2317/20, although I did prop it down two sizes. I have a micro TM I will maiden soon, I've heard good things about them. I don't have much nice to say about the mini TM arf, it died too quickly.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:28 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Are you talking about the tiny tiger moth from Hobby lobby? I have one, be careful with that one. 3s is necessary and size up the prop to a 7 incher. I have the powerline version and it vexes me a bit. It is resting on my work bench right now awaiting a new motor mount and cabanes after my last dabacle.

I completely rebuilt the nose of the telemaster with scrap wood at one point and it just keeps on flying. I'll bet you could just swap out some wood pieces and be just fine. If not, your idea of using the wing elsewhere is sensible! Otherwise, someone would be happy to purchase the plane to straighten it out! (me)
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:26 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Would you pay $30.00 bucks for it? it's not pretty anymore, but I expect you could fix it with some scraps. If your curious, I could take a picture or two of it and post it here.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:28 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc
Are you talking about the tiny tiger moth from Hobby lobby? I have one, be careful with that one. 3s is necessary and size up the prop to a 7 incher. I have the powerline version and it vexes me a bit. It is resting on my work bench right now awaiting a new motor mount and cabanes after my last dabacle.

I completely rebuilt the nose of the telemaster with scrap wood at one point and it just keeps on flying. I'll bet you could just swap out some wood pieces and be just fine. If not, your idea of using the wing elsewhere is sensible! Otherwise, someone would be happy to purchase the plane to straighten it out! (me)
By the way, I'm referring to the ARF mini telemaster (about 45" long) which was very pretty when I got it, but no longer is so pretty.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 08:45 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Absolutely interested. can you post some pics?