HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Oct 2013
15 Posts
Question
FrSky Taranis vs Flysky FS-TH9X

Hi,

I want to purchase a new 9 channel 2.4ghz radio, is the FrSky Taranis for roughly
$200 dollars that much better than the $80 dollar FlySky FS-TH9X ?

Since both of these radios have A LOT of very useable features, my number one concern / need is; Range & Reception.
Robert43 is offline Find More Posts by Robert43
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:55 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,321 Posts
Short answer, yes.

Ignoring some of the features, as you can get most of them from the 9x with OpenTX installed. The Taranis gives you voice telemetry, a much nicer hardware platform, and better radio link (range/reception). You also get Telemetry, so you know BEFORE you lose control that you should turn around. Some people have even used that feature as a lost plane locator.

Granted, the radio side you can get some of that by using the FrSky module and receivers, but then you start getting close to the Taranis price anyway. And for the little extra, you also get better hardware. The sticks are smoother and better made, the switches have a nicer/stronger feel, the soldering and overall build quality is significantly better, etc.. You also get 16 channels out of the box, with 32 available by adding another module and running 2 X8R receivers in the model. I don't personally have a need for that many, yet, but it's nice to have options. Oh, and it comes with a battery, charger, strap, receiver, and case for that $200. Not bad.

If you do FPV type stuff, there's also the long-range receiver that's supposed to come out soon.

The 9x is a good radio, if you don't get bit by the quality issues. Particularly if you are willing to mod it to get better software on it. And the FlySky module and receivers are good quality. I fly them on a number of planes even though I have the Taranis. No reason to toss good receivers for short-range foamies and such. If you can wait for availability, I'd say go for the Taranis. If you are in a hurry, the 9x isn't a bad choice. And if you do want to upgrade later, you can. The module from the 9x fits in the back of the Taranis, assuming your 9x doesn't have the antenna soldered in. If it does, you will have to work on it a bit.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Oct 16, 2013, 06:07 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,264 Posts
What ttabbal said!

Keep in mind that what you get from FlySky is a radio without Telemetry (some argue not needed) and without the ability to save your models to your PC (should you want to) or edit them on your PC unless you modify the 9x. The 9x requires a battery (granted not too expensive) and I strongly suggest Steve Mack's board to allow you to put OpenTx on it. These mods quickly approach $ wise what you get out of the box from Frsky with the Taranis without the risk. The downside of the Taranis is being able to get one - this year anyway. The downside of the 9x is the point to point soldering quality (boards are fine).

Scott
I strongly suggest either buying someone's used but modified 9x (they should be coming available and going for say $100) as people move to the higher end Taranis (which runs OpenTX as well but has more memory for models and functionality) or start with the Taranis = depending on your $ and patience.
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Last edited by ScottSails; Oct 16, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Oct 2013
15 Posts
Thank you "ttabbal" & "ScottSails" for that good explanation.

This is a tough one, the FlySky is in stock and very affordable at $80 dollars; and will probably get the job done just fine. The FrSky is 3 times the price with the receiver & not currently in stock, clearly the better radio with more features & telemetry.

I'm trying to weigh all of these factors to make a qualified purchase decision.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 05:13 PM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
804 Posts
Buy the Flysky (better yet the Turnigy 9XR) and a couple $9 receivers, use it while you wait on the in stock Taranis and a couple months more while you learn it, then sell the Flysky for $50-60.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2013, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjet1950 View Post
Buy the Flysky (better yet the Turnigy 9XR) and a couple $9 receivers, use it while you wait on the in stock Taranis and a couple months more while you learn it, then sell the Flysky for $50-60.
Thanks for your reply. Why the Turnigy over the FlySky, I thought the FlySky could
directly use a FrSky module, where as the Turnigy needed custom work/soldering to use the FrSky module. Making the FlySky the better choice, or did I get that wrong ?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 01:55 AM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
804 Posts
The 9XR can come without a module, so you can use any JR-style module you want. The 9X has a built in Turnigy module that's hard-wired into the antenna. so you have to remove that wire and antenna before installing another module. Not sure about the Flysky, don't have one, but if it has a removable module, get that one. I think the best bet is the 9XR ($50 + shipping from HK China), good transmitter and max flexibility.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,763 Posts
What Warjet said about 9XR.

In some ways I prefer my 9x (look, feel, programming buttons), but it is modified do do what I want -- SmartieParts programming board, back light, FS module removed. I would not go back to using the stock 9x firmware or the FS module and receiver.

In either case, I use an Orange DSM module for Spektrum compatibility ($30).

So the 9x now has the same functionality as a $50 9XR but cost about $40 more to get there.

The main problems with the FS module are lack of failsafe, lack of ground range check capability (despite the "Bind/Range" button on the back) and incompatibility with Spektrum. It works OK otherwise.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
I was thinking about this myself.
(Prices are US Dollars)

$53.82 - Turnigy 9x
$23.59 - Shipping (HobbyKing to USA)

$04.99 - LED mod for Turnigy 9x
$10.71 - LiFePo4 battery
$09.16 - Shipping (HobbyKing to USA)

$22.40 - FrSky DJT - JR Transmitter ($36.50 if you go with XJT)
$03.02 - Shipping (Aloft Hobbies)

So we're at $127.69 so far. I don't really trust my small soldering skills so if we throw in a SmartieParts programmer board at $36 plus $9 shipping we're at $172.69.

A FrSky Taranis is $175 with an assumed ~$10 shipping from Aloft Hobbies.

I only see two downsides.
1) You can't fly the micros like WLtoys V9x models. Can you put a FlySky module in a Taranis?
2) I don't believe you can simply swap antennas on a Taranis like you can with FrSky modules.
selcouth is offline Find More Posts by selcouth
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,321 Posts
Yes, you can put a flysky module in a taranis. Mine has one installed all the time. I did have to tweak it a little as flysky plays a little loose with the specs.

The taranis antenna isn't removable, apparently it's an FCC thing. It has been modified to put an sma connection on it by some people, but it does require fine soldering.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:43 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,823 Posts
Yes you can use a FlySky module in the Taranis, this model has the antenna mounted on the module instead of the hard wired Turnigy 9X:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...455682276.html
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:28 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by selcouth View Post
A FrSky Taranis is $175 with an assumed ~$10 shipping from Aloft Hobbies.
My Taranis cost about $22 to ship from Aloft to upper NY State, where I picked it up. (Had it since July and love it!).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:50 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,432 Posts
The Taranis has the ability to configure where you want to send your signals. So you can for example install a FlySky module and program the WLToys model to send the signal to the external module to use the FlySky protocol.

Not only that, the decision is on a per-channel basis. So you can even split it for example send the aileron and rudder channels to the FlySky RX and the elevator and throttle to the FrSky RX.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
My Taranis cost about $22 to ship from Aloft to upper NY State, where I picked it up. (Had it since July and love it!).
Ah, ok. More in shipping than I had thought but still probably worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
The Taranis has the ability to configure where you want to send your signals. So you can for example install a FlySky module and program the WLToys model to send the signal to the external module to use the FlySky protocol.

Not only that, the decision is on a per-channel basis. So you can even split it for example send the aileron and rudder channels to the FlySky RX and the elevator and throttle to the FrSky RX.
That sounds pretty cool and useful. The more I think about it the more I want one.
selcouth is offline Find More Posts by selcouth
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
12 Posts
compatibility list

Hello, I am a newbie and all the tech talk has my head spinning.

I own a Blade Nano QX and a just received Syma X5C-1. Both RTF
If I stick with this hobby it seems logical to buy a transmitter that would
work with whatever the next purchase might be to save money.

Is there a look up list or spreadsheet that would let me look up my existing
quads and anything I might want to purchase in the future to determine
if it would be compatible and if not what it requires to make it compatible.
This might help in choosing the right transmitter.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Ken
KenKK is offline Find More Posts by KenKK