subscribed
primestick is offline Find More Posts by primestick
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post

Quick RSSI is done with a lowpass-filter and just connect it to the analog-input.
Dennis,

Um..sorry, I need some help here.
Are you saying the Beta2 already has RSSI and a low pass filter "pin A0" all ready to go ?

What about all that stuff about digital verses analog output of this silly rx I have? It has two antennas and three wires that supposedly connect up to the EmersionRC OSD. (see pict) What values would I expect to see? Ha...which antenna is it seeing? Does it need to be calibrated ?
I don't care just some indication I'm loosing connection before it happens - the numbers could be going up or down ...ha

Hey, I'm happy every thing loaded first time and all is good so far.

Gotta figure out how to get some time off here, !!!

Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,

Um..sorry, I need some help here.
Are you saying the Beta2 already has RSSI and a low pass filter "pin A0" all ready to go ?

What about all that stuff about digital verses analog output of this silly rx I have? It has two antennas and three wires that supposedly connect up to the EmersionRC OSD. (see pict) What values would I expect to see? Ha...which antenna is it seeing? Does it need to be calibrated ?
I don't care just some indication I'm loosing connection before it happens - the numbers could be going up or down ...ha

Hey, I'm happy every thing loaded first time and all is good so far.

Gotta figure out how to get some time off here, !!!

Rick
Well, if you don't know how to do it I would just leave it unconnected for now. I've never used RSSI myself, and I have been flying a little more than "around the field"
The digital channel that's supposed to be used with EzOSD - well.. It's not exactly an open protocol, so that's not gonna be supported.

I have a little idea for connection to EzOSD, but it's not gonna be done right away, and the new software from Immersion-RC is needed.
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....n-PPM-possible
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Oh, and by the way...
Did you do this ?
Do you solder these things yourself ?
What do you do, draw it up and send the dwg to someone and they punch them out and solder all these things on for you?
Maybe I want to try this ? I think I want one of these !
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:21 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Did you do this ?
Do you solder these things yourself ?
What do you do, draw it up and send the dwg to someone and they punch them out and solder all these things on for you?
Maybe I want to try this ? I think I want one of these !
Unfortunately, I just receive the plain PCBs .
All the components etc. have to be soldered (so yes, I do that myself).

The PCB-layout will most likely be available sooner or later, so you can order a couple of PCBs if you want. But the soldering required is a little challenging if you haven't soldered SMD before

I did a few changes to the design yesterday, I hope that's gonna be the last changes for now.
Removed some components and re-did the traces for better ground-plane etc. replaced some 0603 resistors with 0805 etc.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:26 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
looks good!
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Sep 2011
32 Posts
if we have a "little" more processing time it would be great to have audio out for vario. and S-Bus (and other) for control OSD. I try implement S-Bus for myself later (probably on christmas holiday.. but i'm not very good with arduino)
Spejlo is offline Find More Posts by Spejlo
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:09 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spejlo View Post
if we have a "little" more processing time it would be great to have audio out for vario. and S-Bus (and other) for control OSD. I try implement S-Bus for myself later (probably on christmas holiday.. but i'm not very good with arduino)
The audio output for vario doesn't require much CPU-time, as you can just use a PWM-output to generate bibs.
I don't really have anything with S-bus that I would like to connect, so I'm most likely not gonna write support for that. I'll be using PPM input instead.

But please share for other interested, if you make something interesting.

Arduino or not, you should almost be able to copy-paste directly to a normal compiler. Very little Arduino-language is used
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 AM
Poland
Joined Feb 2011
36 Posts
Great thread,

I did my own 7456 board in the past and still have some unused A.Nano boards in my drawer....

So there will be lot of time for experiments :-)
Mieciu is offline Find More Posts by Mieciu
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,

Testing one two three

MAXOSD Beta2 test 1 - short night time flight in front yard - very dark Heavy cloud cover = bad communication with satellites = very poor elevation readings !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06p2i1de0r...est%201%20.flv That's the moon, not the sun

MAXOSD Beta2 test 2 - short day time lunch break in the boonies - very windy - no FPV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn7pogsjzn...20test%202.AVI

Rick
Last edited by RickEis; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
So Dennis –

1) In test #1 I noticed the Cur was way off so I checked the config.h file after the flight – Just before the flight I was messing with the CUR_GAIN and went all the way down to 0.5 to see what it would do. Then I went to bring it back up to 0.20 and accidentally changed CUR_MEAS (not CUR_GAIN) to 0.20 That explains why the current was so shot in test #1.
So before test 2 I fixed CUR_MEAS to 2 and I was always getting low values on Current. So before test #2 I went all the way up to 5.0 That explains why it was so high. Getting closer - trial and error !

2)-Also between flights I changed ALTITUDE_OFFSET to 0. You will notice the test #1 had the full 4000 feet or so elevation – I wanted it to start at 0, so I changed the variable from 1 to 0, even though I know that is opposite what it should, thinking that would do it- but it did not ?
I often also get a weird elevation number like 545.6 or something immediately after the "before flight" summary – then it appears to go away after a few more satellites or something ?

3)-The volts is perfect for a large variety of voltages when not in flight (very small amps), but when I put a larger load (like 4 motors) on the system, the volts goes down as it should. However, it goes down way too far. I have a meter on the pack while flying and it does not go down near as much as the OSD reads while flying. I'm sure the OSD Voltage reading is not accurate as the NAZA is set to go down way before that – not sure what to do here?

4)-LOS is not hooked up so not sure why numbers ? Did not understand your conversation with the EmersionRC folks - way above my head - can you simplify or break down this conversation for me? You say you have never used RSSI. So what do you do? How do you know when you have reached the limits of your system or when you might be experiencing some strange interference. Do you have another method of checking things. I plan to push the limits as I gain more experience but I would like to do it as inexpensively as possible. I have no idea the distance of my system right now. Do you go till you crash ?

5)-The numbers above volts don't mean anything to me - how do you use it?
I'll trade the space on the OSD for coordinates so when flying in the forest I could record the coordinates on OSD to find the plane if it goes down in the brush. I also intend on flying over some very remote forests with the ZepherII.

6)-The summary seems confusing when I am waiting for satellites- why is the summary up before flight anyway with a bunch of zeros?
I can see the use of a summary at the end of flight, maybe...but why before?

7)-Speed is a function of the silly gps – very choppy!
In order for MAX to see my gps I had to set things like this
//===========================
// GPS baudrate
//===========================
#define BAUD 38400
#define BAUD2 38400 // For testing, just ignore for now.

So is 38400 still under testing? - Maybe I can look forward to it working a bit better...yes?

8)-I like the idea of elevation based on the more accurate pressure sensors. I hope they are faster and more accurate ! I am particularly interested in accuracy with the copter. For example, I eventually want to hug the bottom of these channels as in test#2 landscape. I think the more accurate elevation will help in many ways. Also in descending in a copter, things get weird descending too fast, but what is that speed I can descend - some indicator will help. I guess same thing for my ZepherII which I have not flown yet - but I can imagine doing the same thing - skimming the floor and 100 + mph (USA talk ) and I think it would be nice to have a fast, accurate elevation check.

9)-It would be nice if the timer could be more easily controlled – not sure how?
Notice.. I think it was in flight #2 I did not take off till 10 minutes ? I was waiting for satellites on the NAZA gps. Then my timer was all off

10)-Do you think it would be possible to connect up our MAX OSD to the NAZA gps? I don't see the need to carry two gps's around –

Ha ...10 items ~ are you sure you want me to be one of your test pilots

Hope that helps,

Rick
Last edited by RickEis; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
The audio output for vario doesn't require much CPU-time, as you can just use a PWM-output to generate bibs.
I don't really have anything with S-bus that I would like to connect, so I'm most likely not gonna write support for that. I'll be using PPM input instead.
I don't think this is English - what are you guys, is this Electrical Engineering in french ? What is a bibs ? Bit indicateur vers l'arrière ?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
32 Posts
Dennis:
you're right PPM is more useful. it can be done on almost every RX

Rick:
bibs==beeps (variometer make sounds when you ascending/descending)

i must order 7456 for testing.. it would be nice to share board design when you have final version Denis.
Spejlo is offline Find More Posts by Spejlo
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:30 AM
HOL
Danmark, Midtjylland, Galten
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Deleted...
HOL is offline Find More Posts by HOL