HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:41 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
2,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
Anyone at the club have experience with multirotor fpv flying? I've been practicing a little but not getting a whole bunch better and would appreciate a bit of tutoring...
It's been a couple of years, but I have flown FPV quadcopters. What is your setup and what challenges are you facing?
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 01:31 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
4,040 Posts
Am flying a smaller armattan quad with 258 arms which makes it a 333 setup.. naze32 acro flight controller.

LOS I'm reasonably good. I can mostly make the quad go where I point it as I can translate what I see into the required stick movements.

FPV and I have trouble turning without skidding to the outside at the finish of the turn. This video illustrates a few decent turns and a few where my vector is mostly in the original direction, not in the direction the nose is facing... not sure if I need more roll, more or less pitch or more or less yaw to complete the maneuver...

I've improved a bit since my first attempt but feel like with an experienced pilot's commentary I'd improve more rapidly than I am on my own...

Appreciate any suggestions you might have :-)

QuadFlight1 21 2015 (4 min 21 sec)
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:37 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
2,016 Posts
Quote:
Am flying a smaller armattan quad with 258 arms which makes it a 333 setup.. naze32 acro flight controller.

LOS I'm reasonably good. I can mostly make the quad go where I point it as I can translate what I see into the required stick movements.

FPV and I have trouble turning without skidding to the outside at the finish of the turn. This video illustrates a few decent turns and a few where my vector is mostly in the original direction, not in the direction the nose is facing... not sure if I need more roll, more or less pitch or more or less yaw to complete the maneuver...

I've improved a bit since my first attempt but feel like with an experienced pilot's commentary I'd improve more rapidly than I am on my own...

Appreciate any suggestions you might have :-)

http://youtu.be/xkTfMylOnjY
It looks like your autopilot does not have an auto leveling mode. To bring the pitch and roll back to level you need to command it to level. If you command a roll or pitch change and let go of your transmitter stick, the aircraft tends to stay at that new attitude. Correct?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2015, 08:00 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
4,040 Posts
There's two flight modes enabled. that flight was done with leveling (horizon) mode turned on. This mode allows the stick to override the gyro progressively until full stick travel is reached where it is turned off entirely.

I can tweak the leveling so it's more effective on one of the flight profiles and see if it helps.

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 08:47 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
2,016 Posts
I can see that you tend to over control the pitch and roll and you are having issues maintaining altitude. Use dual rates and fly on a lower rate and setup an appropriate throttle curve for your flying should help. Also, using a GoPro for your FPV camera is likely giving you erroneous visual clues and is likely part of the cause of you erratic flying style. It takes a lot of movement to create any perceived movement as seen through a GoPro. Remember, it has a 170 degree field of view so what you are seeing appears to be in front of you but much if it is beside you. Only the data in the middle of the screen is effective for navigation and because you are viewing on a 640x480 resolution, you end up with very few pixels of useful data.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:58 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
4,040 Posts
Thanks. I have a board cam that I intend to get mounted shortly. The dual rate suggestion sounds good too!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 03:16 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
2,016 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I have a board cam that I intend to get mounted shortly. The dual rate suggestion sounds good too!
Consider setting up a throttle curve that is biased towards your hovering RPM. Assuming you hover at 50% throttle, set the throttle curve so the RPM jumps to 40% within the first 20% of throttle stick movement and at with the stick at and 80% setting the output is 60% RPM. (adjust numbers to your liking)

When starting your motors, the RPM will jump up really quick with little throttle movement and then once it lifts off you will have to move the stick a lot to get it to increase or decrease the rate of climb. This will require more deliberate effort to change altitude but reduce the chances of an accidental change in altitude.

If you come out to Tiger Field on Sunday morning, I can help you with any of these settings.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:50 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
4,040 Posts
If you don't mind spending a bit of time with me Sunday I'd appreciate it. I'll plan to be out there by 8:30 or so.

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:21 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
2,016 Posts
Quote:
If you don't mind spending a bit of time with me Sunday I'd appreciate it. I'll plan to be out there by 8:30 or so.

Thanks
Weather forecast is looking good for Sunday. I should be out there by 0900.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2015, 07:34 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,874 Posts
Hi guy's,

Had to work this weekend so I didn't make it back up. I was just curious, does anyone know of anyone does any or know of a site suitable for slope soaring in the area? I haven't done much but I'm kinda intrigued with some of the PSS (Power Slope Scale) designs but never pursued it because the nearest sites (to my current location) were just too far to make it worth it.

John,

Your F-14 has got me looking at the Shumate F-18 Super Hornet thread again!

Thanks!
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: So many projects so little time
Old Jan 25, 2015, 08:46 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
4,040 Posts
Thanks for letting me come out and fly folks - I had fun and will plan to come back!

Here's the video from my quad. Sorry it's so out of focus - I didn't realize how bad it was until I was editing it.

Armattan FPV V1 Tiger Field Fernley NV 1 24 2015 (2 min 36 sec)
Last edited by ronin4740; Jan 25, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 02:46 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
2,016 Posts
Nice video. Inspiring. I might need to dig out my video goggles and setup an aircraft with a camera.
Site Sponsor