New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by DonStegall
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Nov 2013
41 Posts
Contest
MiniWarbirdRacing.com

I want to race on my field this year, but I have space limitations. I have flown my P-51 Mustang EP on the field with no problem and it actually feels quite nice. I've developed a new racing class called RCPRO Mini Warbird Racing and I made a video of a plane that should be a good contender.

TWM Spitfire EP - Part 1 - Introduction and Kit Components (3 min 39 sec)
DonStegall is offline Find More Posts by DonStegall
Last edited by DonStegall; Feb 25, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2015, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by draftman1
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
358 Posts
we did that with a 25 size coro combat type plane, squint scale lol, it was alot of fun, we called it "the mini reno class"

glad to see this being a good alternative to fuel and larger sized planes
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
Old Feb 25, 2015, 06:22 PM
Joined Nov 2013
41 Posts
Even if we just fly it locally it will be fun. And there should be some decent planes in this size. I'm seeing more slightly smaller and slightly larger BNF and RTF planes, so we may expand to classes within the class. A number of groups have used the ParkZone planes, but unless I'm missing something Horizon has discontinued a number of them. I'm also seeing Dynam planes out-of-stock in a number of places.

The World Models has been a consistent supplier of the LA Racer 40 and Sky Raider Mach II for Club40Racing.com and they rarely discontinue models. In fact they are always improving them. Like they added a battery hatch on the Voodoo EP and that hatch will make it's way to the P-51 EP planes as they are the same form-factor. And The World Models EP warbird planes fly well for things like racing and simple aerobatics. They have added battery hatches on most of the Warbird EP planes. And the P-47D Thunderbolt EP is just a beautiful little plane. As is the Zero Fighter EP.

Right now they have the P-51 Mustang - EP ( Brushless) on sale for $50 without the motor. And the Turnigy SK3 28 mm motors fit right in.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Joined Oct 2011
758 Posts
Don, the Sacramento Area Modelers have been racing .25 sized warbirds for years. They race once a month all year and hold their club meeting following the race weather permitting. It's great fun. My only gripe is they use the same 700' course as we run the other faster warbirds on so it makes the .25 size birds feel slow. IMO a 500' course would be a bit more exciting. Best of luck.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Feb 27, 2015, 01:43 PM
Joined Nov 2013
41 Posts
I'm writing articles for the NMPRA Newsletter on Sport Pylon Racing. I would like to include coverage of the West Coast (and anywhere else) Warbird Racing.

See my message below and check out the December and February columns if you get a chance The December column had a short intro to West Coast Warbird racing.

Quote:
I have another Sport Racing Article in the February 2015 NMPRA HIGH PERFORMANCE Newsletter. The Newsletter page is at NMPRA HIGH PERFORMANCE NEWSLETTERS and you can go directly to the newsletter at February 2015.

The article is easy to find as it starts on page 2. If you get a chance, please read and comment on it. Dan Kane Jr. is actively promoting Sport Pylon within the NMPRA and I want to thank him for allowing us a place to talk about sport pylon racing. And for arranging for Club 40 to be flown at the 2015 NATS.
Also, the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/RCWarbirdRacing is getting a good following and needs more people to post on what they are doing. Photos and messages welcomed.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by PylonDave
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2003
768 Posts
The Hobby King funfighter series would be great for sport warbird pylon racing. They are about $80 complete with motor and esc , servos. Reciever ready in about a hour of assembly. They can be run with a 3 or 4 cell 850 mah lipo. with a four cell they are very fast . Over 100 mph. On a 3 cell , they might be what you are looking for. they fly like they are on rails !!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Search=funfigh
PylonDave is offline Find More Posts by PylonDave
Old Mar 03, 2015, 09:00 PM
Joined Nov 2013
41 Posts
Thanks Dave.

I've looked at the specs and the videos and they look like they would be great. Going to have to get one or more and try them out.

Might have a 3 cell Silver class and a 4 cell Gold class or something along those lines.

People seem to be fond of the EFX Racer also, but in keeping with the Warbird theme, the Fun Fighters might be the best place to focus.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 06:24 AM
Joined Nov 2013
41 Posts
AirBorne Models has the P-51 Mustang - EP on sale for $50 without the motor for a limited time and somewhat limited quantities. More in China. Shipping is approx $15 to the 48 contiguous states. Buy several and get a shipping discount. They can come in boxes of 3.

I recommend getting the 50mm wheels if you are flying off of grass. They are about $4 a pair.

For motors, check out this series http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tors-28mm.html.

I put the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html in mine with an APC 8x8E and it scoots.

I'm going to try the 1500Kv motor, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html but my have to reduce the pitch a little.

They have a 2500Kv motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html but I think you would have to go to something like the APC 7x4 Thin Electric Propeller to keep the current low enough.

These are real balsa airplanes and when set up properly, are a blast to fly. Even if you are not racing. They have real control horns and real adjustable clevises.

The Voodoo Mustang EP is based on the same fuselage, but it has a battery hatch and retractable landing gear.

These do not have a battery hatch. I cut a hole in the covering on the right side and let the balancing lead hang out. I just typically charge between flights. But taking the wing off and changing the battery is not a big deal. I cut out an opening in the bottom of the fuselage between the wing and the cowl for cooling and I just connect the battery and put the wires back inside.

The newer planes in the Warbird EP ARF kits have battery hatches. The P-47 EP is beautiful.

I will measure the servo openings. I have used E-flite S75 servos in my planes. Very fast and good centering but I don't think they are made anymore, at least under that part number.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 06:25 AM
Joined Nov 2013
41 Posts
This is a video of my P-51 Mustang EP and all of the P-51 kits in snap-together form.

TWM P-51 Mustang EP - Part 1 - Introduction (10 min 35 sec)