New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2014, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by Fox-composites
Thailand
Joined Aug 2010
531 Posts
Discussion
Expo, right thrust, Eagle tree.

EXPO. I was flying with 60% on the ailerons and got into what I would call some big tank slappers. I would make a small mistake and give aileron to correct it but because of the Expo I would end up giving too much and then too much again the other way ending up with 5 or 6 wild rolls until my brain caught up. Now I fly it with no expo and no problem.
RIGHT THRUST. I carefully set up the correct amount of right thrust so the model climbed straight but now I set the motor straight and use a right rudder mix. I can adjust it easily and it gives the same result.
EAGLE TREE. Not sure if it helps or not. If I put the model into a hover and let go of the sticks it just stays in a beautiful hover which is annoying as it means it's better than me. Do I want that? I need to improve my skills so I can do it not my gyro. I took it out.
Anyone else thinking the same ?
Fox-composites is offline Find More Posts by Fox-composites
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,689 Posts
EXPO: sounds like you had the wrong sign on your expo. Depending on your TX brand you may want negative or positive. The one you want makes the middle of the stick movement less sensitive. Sounds like what you had made it more sensitive.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:40 AM
Thailand
Joined Aug 2010
531 Posts
Yes I am aware of that although I know many people are not . JR is the opposite of Futaba etc.
I have a graph on my TXscreen that shows me the servo travel so I fully understand what is going on.
My problem is that Expo set one way gives an ever increasing throw and it was catching me out. Not during normal flight but if I made a mistake low down and reacted badly.
25% makes it more or less linear but I was using 70%.
Anyway seems ok for me now.
Last edited by Fox-composites; Dec 14, 2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,689 Posts
Yup, too much expo can be as bad as too little Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Dec 16, 2014, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox-composites View Post
...EAGLE TREE. Not sure if it helps or not. If I put the model into a hover and let go of the sticks it just stays in a beautiful hover which is annoying as it means it's better than me. Do I want that? I need to improve my skills so I can do it not my gyro. I took it out.
Anyone else thinking the same ?
I'm thinking just the opposite. I'm incapable of making my great super-aerobatic 3D planes do what they're capable of doing on my own. I'm too old and slow, and my arthritic thumbs hurt too much.

However, with the able assistance of my nine(so far) Eagle Tree Guardian gyros acting as 3D co-pilots, so to speak, my planes are now doing a great many things I could not possibly have made them do before.

I have nothing to prove to anybody, including myself. All I care about is what my nifty planes are doing in the sky. I don't care at all about how I'm getting them to do it. The transmitter is hanging from my neck, not somebody else's, and that's plenty good enough for me. The end result is, my planes are doing far more than I've ever been able to get them to do before, and it's all because I installed a tiny little dirt-cheap 11-gram co-pilot.

Do I sound like a Guardian fanboy? Bingo. Guilty as charged. Sue me.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:16 AM
Thailand
Joined Aug 2010
531 Posts
I agree with you Depronicus anything that helps is a good thing. I learned to fly helis before gyros and could not believe how much better it was with gyro assistance.
Are you running them in heading hold or rate gyro?
The 3D model I have now is so docile I don't need it but my last model was evil and the Eagle Tree made it into an acceptable airframe.
Too much expo was getting me into problems and since I reduced it to 25% it suits me better, not everyone of course.
Jim
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox-composites View Post
...Are you running them in heading hold or rate gyro?...
3D Heading Hold.

I moved the gain control to the "right lever" (number 15 on the diagram in the manual) sliding control on the back of my DX9 transmitter, with a little piece of fuzzy Velcro stuck on it to make it easier to move, and it made a huge difference.

Being able to easily adjust the overall gain with my right index finger at any time during flight makes the "3D co-pilot" concept possible. I use maximum gain for very-low-speed stuff, and about half gain for normal speeds. I've also programmed in voice alerts to confirm that I'm doing what I want to do: "Off", "Knife Edge Mode" for half-gain, and "Gyro Gain Position" for full gain.

Works for me...
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus