New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by Droidecon
United States, LA, Pineville
Joined Mar 2011
12 Posts
Question
Blade mcx2 upgrades????

Ok I may get flamed for this but I am somewhat new after all, I did some searching, nothing extremely in depth. I am trying to find out what kind of upgrades I should go for on my mcx2. I can do figure eights forward and reverse. Piros are no problem. I love this heli. I will be moving on to a bnf msr soon.(soon as finances allow lol) I find the mcx2 is very slow when moving forward. I looked at the rods and its obvious that theres much more movement on it in reverse than forward. What can I do to get more out of this lil guy? I have it set on the advanced swash settings. Keep in mind Im on a firefighters budget but any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance guys and gals
Droidecon is offline Find More Posts by Droidecon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by Windytech
Lost in the Sky
United States, WY, Sweetwater
Joined Oct 2010
52 Posts
There absolutely are upgrades - you can use nearly any first generation mCX parts on it.
Windytech is offline Find More Posts by Windytech
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by edwong3
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Hi,

I too am an mCX2 owner. If you're looking for more performance, you can start out by purchasing the carbon fiber tail boom kit that Blade offers. This upgrade uses a sliding weight on the boom to adjust the center of gravity (CG) for even faster flight. It's quite cheap at around $5, but it means you give up the neat LED lights on the full body tail.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodID=EFLH2428

Here is another upgrade which involves installing a part on the swash plate that gives your servos even more throw than the factory "advanced settings". There seems to be some work involved, and the cost is higher at nearly $16, but could be very well worth the expense, and work.

http://www.cuskerrc.com/apps/webstor...ts/show/552046

This company, Micro-Flight, sells some neat body upgrades that fit both the mCX, and mCX2. Though mostly cosmetic, some of these upgrades could increase your mCX2's reliability in event of a crash, and maybe even get some additional performance.

http://www.micro-flight.com/BLADE-MCX.htm

And these aren't the only sources. Just do a search on the net, and you'll see how much there is "out there".

Now in my humble opinion, even though I haven't modified my mCX2 with it, I think the E-Flite/Blade carbon fiber tail boom kit will give you the most "bang for the buck" in terms of extracting faster response, and speed from your heli, and you could always change it back to stock configuration in a couple of minutes. Just an observation.

Good luck, and have fun with your mCX2.
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidecon View Post
Ok I may get flamed for this but I am somewhat new after all, I did some searching, nothing extremely in depth. I am trying to find out what kind of upgrades I should go for on my mcx2. I can do figure eights forward and reverse. Piros are no problem. I love this heli. I will be moving on to a bnf msr soon.(soon as finances allow lol) I find the mcx2 is very slow when moving forward. I looked at the rods and its obvious that theres much more movement on it in reverse than forward. What can I do to get more out of this lil guy? I have it set on the advanced swash settings. Keep in mind Im on a firefighters budget but any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance guys and gals
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Last edited by edwong3; Apr 04, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Hi,

I too am an mCX2 owner. If you're looking for more performance, you can start out by purchasing the carbon fiber tail boom kit that Blade offers. This upgrade uses a sliding weight on the boom to adjust the center of gravity (CG) for even faster flight. It's quite cheap at around $5, but it means you give up the neat LED lights on the full body tail.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodID=EFLH2428

Here is another upgrade which involves installing a part on the swash plate that gives your servos even more throw than the factory "advanced settings". There seems to be some work involved, and the cost is higher at nearly $16, but could be very well worth the expense, and work.

http://www.cuskerrc.com/apps/webstor...ts/show/552046

This company, Micro-Flight, sells some neat body upgrades that fit both the mCX, and mCX2. Though mostly cosmetic, some of these upgrades could increase your mCX2's reliability in event of a crash, and maybe even get some additional performance.

http://www.micro-flight.com/BLADE-MCX.htm

And these aren't the only sources. Just do a search on the net, and you'll see how much there is "out there".

Now in my humble opinion, even though I haven't modified my mCX2 with it, I think the E-Flite/Blade carbon fiber tail boom kit will give you the most "bang for the buck" in terms of extracting faster response, and speed from your heli, and you could always change it back to stock configuration in a couple of minutes. Just an observation.

Good luck, and have fun with your mCX2.
Ed

Thanks a ton ed. Ive been looking at the carbon fiber tail boom but have been reluctant to try it due to numerous issues ive read about it. Guess im gonna haveto try it out now that i have to replace the flybar too since one of the kids introduced it to the ceiling fan when dad was out of the room. Heck ill prolly try the swash plate mod too why not
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:40 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
You're welcome Droidecon! Maybe someone who has installed the carbon fiber tail boom kit on their mCX2, can fill us in on how it's working for them.

The only issue I have read about it is fitting the new boom into the rear of the main frame, and either not getting it in enough, or not wanting to stay in. Both issues, if they exist seem to be quite easy to fix. But hey, there's other alternatives as you've seen!

The mCX2 is quite docile out of the box, but it can be turned into a little coaxial "hot rod" with the right mods.

Keep in touch!
Ed

Quote:
Thanks a ton ed. Ive been looking at the carbon fiber tail boom but have been reluctant to try it due to numerous issues ive read about it. Guess im gonna haveto try it out now that i have to replace the flybar too since one of the kids introduced it to the ceiling fan when dad was out of the room. Heck ill prolly try the swash plate mod too why not
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by akozols
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
245 Posts
I've been flying UM planes since the Spring and having a lot of fun. The other day, on a whim, I bought the MCX2 never having flown a heli before. I must have developed my thumbs from the planes since I was flying the heli pretty good. Thanks for the link to upgraded parts.

Al
akozols is offline Find More Posts by akozols
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by Nimble1
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Just got a mCX2 to fly along with my mSR. It hovered perfectly right out of the box after binding with my DX6i. I have since played with some of the TX settings and love flying it. Granted its not mSR but its still quite a bit of fun and I love the full body.
Nimble1 is offline Find More Posts by Nimble1
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:11 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Congrats on the recent acquisition! The mCX2, and the mSR compliment each other perfectly in my opinion.

I just posted in another thread that I have been flying the mCX2 a lot lately, mainly due to the fact that the mSR was down waiting on a new 5in1 board. I really got a great appreciation for the mCX2 for it's reliability, and precise handling.

Not too certain that I'll ever add any of the upgrades discussed in this thread as I like just as it is, but maybe I may consider getting another mCX2 in the future for that purpose.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble1 View Post
Just got a mCX2 to fly along with my mSR. It hovered perfectly right out of the box after binding with my DX6i. I have since played with some of the TX settings and love flying it. Granted its not mSR but its still quite a bit of fun and I love the full body.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
12 Posts
Not too certain that I'll ever add any of the upgrades discussed in this thread as I like just as it is, but maybe I may consider getting another mCX2 in the future for that purpose.

Ed[/QUOTE]

Speaking of...I decided Im gonna get the carbon fiber tail boom. Went to lhs but they dont carry that one. However I am going to acquire the 120 sr soon.
Any recommendations for that one Ed?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:50 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of...I decided Im gonna get the carbon fiber tail boom. Went to lhs but they dont carry that one. However I am going to acquire the 120 sr soon.
Any recommendations for that one Ed?
The carbon fiber tail boom might be as far as I would go to mod my mCX2, just because it is so easy to revert back to the original configuration.

The 120SR pretty much has it's own upgrades from the same companies recommended for the mCX2.

Here are some neat stuff for the 120SR:

http://www.micro-flight.com/Blade%20120%20SR.htm

Here are some CNC rotor head parts:

http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/CTGY/Blade120SR

Of course I can't vouch for either of those companies. Do your due diligence.

Have fun.
Ed
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
The carbon fiber tail boom might be as far as I would go to mod my mCX2, just because it is so easy to revert back to the original configuration.

The 120SR pretty much has it's own upgrades from the same companies recommended for the mCX2.

Here are some neat stuff for the 120SR:

http://www.micro-flight.com/Blade%20120%20SR.htm

Here are some CNC rotor head parts:

http://www.slickzero.com/page/SRHP/CTGY/Blade120SR

Of course I can't vouch for either of those companies. Do your due diligence.

Have fun.
Ed

Well I got the carbon fiber tail boom. Its a cinch to install, but i will say it goes a lot further in than one would think but fit nicely and imho gives it a nice sporty look and has majorly improved forward flight speed. Glad I did it and would recommend it as an extremely simple and effective upgrade!!
Last edited by Droidecon; Apr 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: My inability to properly spell the simplest of words @@
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:11 AM
Find More Posts by North_of_49
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
8,562 Posts
mCX2 CF Tail Boom with lights

I put this in 2 other mCX2 threads, might as well put it here as it might be of interest to someone searching for this mod I did to the CF Tail Boom upgrade.

... video showing my LED mod for the CF Tail Boom.

best viewed in HD fullscreen

E-flite Blade mCX2 Carbon Fiber Fibre Tail Boom LED Light Harness (0 min 21 sec)
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 26, 2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by chipgibbs
ChipG
Manassas, VA
Joined May 2008
189 Posts
MCX2 parts / upgrades

Anything That's on this beast will fit on the MCX2
chipgibbs is offline Find More Posts by chipgibbs
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by Mustang02
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Hey North, notice any undesirable affects from the tailboom?
Mustang02 is offline Find More Posts by Mustang02
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by North_of_49
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
8,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang02 View Post
Hey North, notice any undesirable affects from the tailboom?
Do you mean in general? I had some vibration I mentioned somewhere in another thread but got it down to a minimum by doing a few things I saw on youtube. You won't get rid of it completely... it's a symptom (of vibration elsewhere in the heli), not the cause.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member