SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:46 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Discussion
The building of 22` Gaff Cutter "Surprise II"

I purchased these plans in order to build the real boat one day. As it stands I can`t afford it right now. I bought the plans from a friend (not copies) that was going to build it but aquired an old Herreshoff Yawl instead. He decided to sell them to me so I decided to build a model of it first.
The plans are 8 sheets and they are designed by a well respected west coast designer "Paul Gartside". I love his boats and hope to build at least one some day, hopefully Surprise II. You have to love the boat in order to see it through. Since cutters make excellent sea worthy sailing models it wasn`t difficult to decide on this one.
I plan to build it scale as per plans. Surprise II is a revised version of his earlier Gaff Cutter Surprise. Some of the revisions include wider beam, cold mold with laminated keel, etc. I do plan to build her as a carvel plank on frame since it won`t matter in the end anyway.
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:58 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Laying of the keel

I ripped up yellow cedar for lamination. The keel jig is basically cut from the plans. I did enlarge the plans to 2"=1` this way there is no "dreaded lofting required and the finished model can be cut from the plans.
I waxed up the jig, soaked the cedar and used polyurethane for adhesive. I plan on using this glue mostly now since it isn`t " toxic" like epoxy. It`s also completely water proof and loves to glue wet wood since the moisture kicks it off. The only thing I don`t like about it, is you must use latex gloves because it takes weeks to come off. It`s also much easier to shave off than epoxy and takes to sanding quite well.

Cheers

More to come
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:29 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Warren, thank you!

Wow, what a nice project that I'm sure we all can learn from following! Combining woodworking and model boat building is really what I would like to learn to do. I hope you don't mind some occasional questions.
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Oct 01, 2006, 10:25 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Questions are welcome

Sure thing. Glad to share it with everyone. It`s a learning experience for me as well.

Cheers
Old Oct 01, 2006, 11:04 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,592 Posts
Hi Warren, this should be interesting to watch.

How large will this model be?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 02, 2006, 01:57 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Stem,deadwood,keel

The model will be 44" water line, not including the bow sprit.

Here I`ve finished the keel lamination, planed to width and mortised and tenon the deadwood to keel.
I did wonder why the designer chose to laminate and design in this style. As you build up the keel you realize why and it really makes sense. You will see as I progress. I would prefer a solid fir keel but then it would end up being several pieces to mortise.
Old Oct 02, 2006, 02:01 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Yellow Cedar

I must note that yellow cedar is wonderfull model making wood in this scale, 2"to Foot. The fibres and grain are extremely flexible and strong. No steaming needed here. You can rap a dry 1" by 1/8 around your wrist.

Cheers
Last edited by Warren Jones; Oct 02, 2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2006, 04:51 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Warren:
This looks like a great project, and to look at your wood working skills, It doesn't look like you need to learn too much, I think you've got it spot on.

And I love working with yellow ceader, It's very ridged but easy to work, I also like working with red ceader, a much softer wood not as ridged as the yellow, but it is lighter and easy to bend would look great as a main deck.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Last edited by ropanach; Oct 02, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2006, 04:58 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
This should be a good one!!! I am watching with great interest!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 03, 2006, 10:48 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Red Cedar

I`ll be using red cedar for planking. Not sure on the deck. I thought of teak although it would be nice to keep the topside light. Didn`t think of red cedar for deck. That might look pretty good. I know the plan calls for red cedar cabin coaming.

Cheers
Old Oct 03, 2006, 11:16 AM
Chorley Lancs UK
Joined Nov 2005
421 Posts
The quality of your work is inspiring... to say the least as was your previous project will be watching your progress very closely.............Alan
algiecrook is offline Find More Posts by algiecrook
Old Oct 04, 2006, 10:20 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
The mold proccess or formers

I use 3-M spray adhesive to tack on the drawings. Most of the pics here speak for themself. The template on the bottom of the keel will be the shape of the ballast plug.

Cheers
Old Oct 05, 2006, 12:14 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Warren Jones:
Your cutter is looking fantastic, very nice work, it looks very strong from the pictures, you may not need much ballast.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Oct 05, 2006, 12:44 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,379 Posts
I would be interested in how you set up and take down the rigging.
You mentioned an Hour set up time for the Revenue Cutter.
I have a 1/36 Blue Nose hull and have never pushed further because the rigging is really intimidating. Especially how to design it to break down for transport to and from the pond. So when you get this new finely crafted vessel ready for sail, detail the set ups a little.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 06, 2006, 01:48 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Pond or Lake side rigging

For my Cutter "Comet", the rigging took more time due to scale running rigging, etc. This has to be omitted when setting up and isn`t needed for sailing only if you want to please the "gronards" or for static display. What you do need is the mast stays for sure. I use black zap straps for attaching them. The mast can slip through the deck into a mortise at the top of the keel with a rubber washer to seal at deck. Just make sure the tenon is a quarter inch short from the mortise pocket so when you reef down the stay and shrouds it seals good at the deck.

To ropanach,

I`m hoping so since I want to keep the external ballast scale. In my experience however I think this to be wishfull thinking. The larger the model the more ballast ratio you need. Otherwise the boat will lay on it`s side when the wind sneezes at it. See the pick with the knock down. This model has a 60lb. 16" by 2' by 1/2" steel keel (not enough even) and she blew right over with ease. The slow winch didn`t help either since I couldn`t slacken the main sail quick enough.
Kind of scary to watch actually, but she righted herself just as quick when I recovered.