HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:29 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
Plane Repair, not so good

well i fixed up the cobra and it did fly... flew pretty well actually... i was impressed anyhow...

well on the bench it looked fine, but when i had it at fermin, looking at it on the grass at a distance the damaged wing had more dihedral than the other.... also after i threw it out, i had to trim it quite a bit to go straight, landed it and its about 1/18" up to get the plane to fly straight....

is there any fix for this? what if i added weight to the other wing to try and get it to balance?

it fly's fine, and it was moving and i am happy with it, but if i can get it to fly faster and better, im always willing to give it a go, haha.... well any help/tips would be appreciated. thanks

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:34 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,146 Posts
Dihedral should not cause a trim change on the ailerons. You must have gotten a twist into the panel when you fixed it. You do need to be VERY carefull when glueing broken wings together. I like to use a large straight splint like a big piece of 2 x 4 etc when I glue wings back together. Unless you want to break it back apart I don't see an easy way to fix it. Heat will not fix it and you're very likely to make it worse by melting it if you try that method. Live wit it till ya kill it again and then build a new wing from scratch. You can get replacement cores from CSD.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:52 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
alright, i guess i will just do that...

thanks

JOe
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
Joe,

Did you happen to balance the plane on it's roll axis, I have found doing this eliminates allot of trimming, especially with a wing repair

good luck
Bill
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:01 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
roll axis?

as in balancing from side to side?.... i didnt do that on this plane yet, i usually do it but didnt on this one, the damaged side has a bit more weight now with the glass on it in 3 places...

worse comes to worse it only helps, lol
thanks

JOe
Old Aug 30, 2004, 04:20 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
I had a similar problem in the 80's when some guy with a Cheetah (metal in the LE) cut my Jag wing in half. After the repair, I balanced the wing adding lead to the opposite side of the repair and it was perfect. Definately give it a try Joe, balance all the way around is better than not.

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Aug 30, 2004, 04:43 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
555 Posts
it sounds like from what you described as "more dihedral on one wing" is actually twist in relation to the horizontal stab. When you sight down the nose does the stab and wing look parallel or is the wing skewed? If it's skewed in relation to the stab this would cause drastic trim changes.
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
Last edited by shoe; Aug 30, 2004 at 04:50 PM.