SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:52 AM
Lots of Air Play
United States, CT, Coventry
Joined Dec 2008
832 Posts
Help!
Servo Gone Wild

So this is the second wing servo I have had do this. Any suggestions for a cure? It moves even with the tx off.

Video here.
Airtronics Servo Issue (0 min 53 sec)

Thanks for any comments.

Dave in CT
thistle2311 is offline Find More Posts by thistle2311
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:35 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,481 Posts
Dave:

Pull it out and discard it (or send it back to the manufacturer).

What sort of servo is it?

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:00 AM
United States, FL, Placida
Joined Apr 2011
209 Posts
I had the same problem but with Hyperion ds09 no fun.

Leo
Leo Henriques is offline Find More Posts by Leo Henriques
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:20 AM
Lots of Air Play
Joined Dec 2008
832 Posts
Hi Leo:
Actually I pulled the tape off and it is a Hyperion DS09. Not a cheap servo! Second one!!

May go back to the Dymond D60s. Cheaper and I Never had this issue.

Planning to be down in Sarasota around late Jan early Feb. Hope to see you at the sod farms.

DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Henriques View Post
I had the same problem but with Hyperion ds09 no fun.

Leo
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:19 AM
United States, FL, Placida
Joined Apr 2011
209 Posts
Cool Dave, we'll be there.There's been issues about those servos reported here on rcg but I still used them.U have to replace it
Leo Henriques is offline Find More Posts by Leo Henriques
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:55 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,603 Posts
I have 4 new out of the box, that I will be using for windshield wiper motor this winter, they do the same as yours.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Oct 13, 2014, 04:51 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,978 Posts
From the name of the thread I was expecting some servo p0rn.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:53 AM
Splash down!
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,033 Posts
I had the same thing happen to two Hitec 5035HD servos. I think the chances of failure were increased by the flutter I sometimes had on the elevator control surface. The little hitec couldn't take it. From what I read the potentiometer in them can be damaged or dislodged which causes the servo to constantly keep seeking position. If I pushed on the case near the potentiometer it would work just fine for awhile.

Before finding the flutter cause and fixing it (I thought it was aileron flutter for a month) I changed the servo to a JR 188 (hv version running on 1s) and that has survived even with the flutter. I take this to mean that the hitech 5035hd is not as robust as the jr 188. Flutter is hard on servos though so I suspect lots of servos could die prematurely under those conditions eventually.

Did/do you have flutter on your aileron or had any hard landings on the aileron? If not I guess it is just bad servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
I have 4 new out of the box, that I will be using for windshield wiper motor this winter, they do the same as yours.
Ben
That is so funny thinking about how my 5035hd servos would go back and forth before I changed them out. . Thanks for the laugh.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:02 AM
Lots of Air Play
Joined Dec 2008
832 Posts
Good thought. I have some play that I need to work out on the root of the flaperons. Probably the source of the issue. I've heard of a small bead of silicone sealant on the hinge line, might have been Mike Seid who mentioned that recently in another post.

DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post
I had the same thing happen to two Hitec 5035HD servos. I think the chances of failure were increased by the flutter I sometimes had on the elevator control surface. The little hitec couldn't take it. From what I read the potentiometer in them can be damaged or dislodged which causes the servo to constantly keep seeking position. If I pushed on the case near the potentiometer it would work just fine for awhile.

Before finding the flutter cause and fixing it (I thought it was aileron flutter for a month) I changed the servo to a JR 188 (hv version running on 1s) and that has survived even with the flutter. I take this to mean that the hitech 5035hd is not as robust as the jr 188. Flutter is hard on servos though so I suspect lots of servos could die prematurely under those conditions eventually.

Did/do you have flutter on your aileron or had any hard landings on the aileron? If not I guess it is just bad servos.

That is so funny thinking about how my 5035hd servos would go back and forth before I changed them out. . Thanks for the laugh.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:26 AM
Samuel
Taiwan, Kaohsiung City
Joined Aug 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle2311 View Post
So this is the second wing servo I have had do this. Any suggestions for a cure? It moves even with the tx off.

Video here.
https://vimeo.com/108732651

Thanks for any comments.

Dave in CT
Is that a brand new servo or it's been on a plane for some time. Flutter issues damage the servos badly..
I've had DS09s in Stobels and most of the guys use a reproduction version and I've never seen a problem ..
sam21236 is offline Find More Posts by sam21236
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM
Lots of Air Play
Joined Dec 2008
832 Posts
It was not a brand new servo, I have flown it for a couple hours. I assume it's a flutter issue that damaged the unit and will cure the flutter before I install a replacement servo.

DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam21236 View Post
Is that a brand new servo or it's been on a plane for some time. Flutter issues damage the servos badly..
I've had DS09s in Stobels and most of the guys use a reproduction version and I've never seen a problem ..