HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:33 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Rant
Discontinued planes are making me mad!!!

So far this week I've found out that three of the plane I have are now discontinued!!

no more yellow twin f-18's unless you pay the $600 special order shipping
Jet Legend is done with the BAE Hawk
The Habu 32 appears done too

What a drag........ kits are getting harder and harder to come by and we are even losing some ARF's..... it really sucks and makes me want to buy up all the kits and arfs I really want now

The funny thing now is almost all my planes in the shop are discontinued...lol

giant scale hanger 9 p-47
hanger 9 p-51 miss america
comp arf spark
jet legend hawk
yellow twin F-18
Habu 32

heck you can't even get the BVM f-86 kit I have.......

this is getting lame
guess I have to just be happy with what I have and look to the new things that come
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:45 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,988 Posts
Bu

I thought you sold the Habu or is that another one? But yeah, I do see what you mean, my stock is exactly the same except for my new Xcalibur, everything else is discontinued.

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:50 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
I bought a new Habu 32 Ralph, didn't feel like finishing my repair.... it may have been the last one that a main hobbies had
did that last month glad I did now that they are gone
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:47 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,369 Posts
Not too many people build any more, most electric flyers that build (FLAME SUIT ON ) are cheap and do not want to pay much for a nice kit.

Kit sales go in cycles - the Habu 32 has been out for years, sales have obviously dwindled to a trickle. If you can't import them by the container because of poor sales then it doesn't pay to keep them in the lineup.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:02 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,389 Posts
I feel your pain. But does it really hurt that much? Perhaps having discontinued and one off models in the hangar is actually a sign of having stuck it out to be a real RC modeler Not just an RC consumer

My most enjoyable four models in my hangar that I fly regularly are not actually produced anymore and one model is a complete one off. Everything from tires to consumable break parts in another have to be specially made to avoid having to re equip entire sub systems due to parts no longer being made (Tamjets A-4 wheels and tires - have to custom fit tires as they wear out to avoid buying new wheels and brakes that won't easily fit anyway). But, aside from that hassle, it's cool having something no one in earshot has. My oldest flying model I still own is my Robbe BAe-146. I finally wore out the last set of 4 brushed motors I had in stock (I stocked eight extra motors at one point and have gone through all of them now). It's on the table awaiting 4 new brushless motors and new fan installations.

When I go to fly General Aviation with friends, I tend to fly experimental aircraft like old warbirds and some new performance types. Those guys are exactly like model airplane nerds. They are always looking at ways to mod this or improve the function of that, or extend the life of a part. When parts wear, they re fabricate parts or have to custom source newly made parts. You can't get cool "full size" airplanes off the shelf either these days
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:18 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,295 Posts
There is a gigantic disparity in available kits/ARF's these days. You've got High-End and Low-End models... notice the lack of the middle ground.

You can find some *really* nice models out there, but you'd have to take out a second mortgage just for the kit, then sell your firstborn or sacrifice one arm and/or leg to outfit said model.
Then again you can go cheap, but you will get what you pay for in both components and airframe. I'm guilty of buying some of the less expensive airframes, but I usually end up modifying them well beyond recognition of the original manufacturer. I rarely, if ever, use the cheap components found in most of these models.

As a purely thought and conversational provoking question:
What are modelers looking for today as a "middle ground" ($150-$550) Airframe option?
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:10 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
i predict we will see a new composite Habu introduced for the holiday season. The Habu 32 was a huge success...time for an update rather than keep rebuilding the old mold tools....
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:58 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,947 Posts
maybe no body is buying anything ...i have this F-20 i kit and only sold 9 ...i have herd no more fiber glass kits from China due to there version of our EPA...but i cant imagine that making molded foam models puts out less voc's than doing a glass model.
ace to give my input on costs ...the F-20 i make is for a 70mm size most guys want a bigger plane for the price....i dont think i am charging enough now to make any kind of profit. we are so spoiled by the low cost china planes that made in the usa is double or triple the cost.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 11, 2014, 05:01 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,985 Posts
Can you say Stinger 90.....Taft Viper?.........Foam planes is where it is going.....I am there myself...I no longer fly my composites ...they are simply hanger art in my garage ceiling. The foam planes are getting better and better and some really nice scale types coming up soon. I fly my Stinger 90 most all the time now and to tell the truth I really enjoy flying it more than my other EDFs.......maybe because I can purchase the whole plane for $500.00 including the motor/fan, e-retracts and digital servos installed.......not a bad deal and takes one night to put it together. The r/c hobby industry has changed quite a bit since electrics came onto the scene. All the old slimers gave the new e-powered planes a hard time but look at what is happening....electrics all over the place. Now the new larger foam planes are coming into the market and I guess the composite guys will lose out.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Sep 11, 2014, 05:52 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
maybe no body is buying anything ...i have this F-20 i kit and only sold 9 ...i have herd no more fiber glass kits from China due to there version of our EPA...but i cant imagine that making molded foam models puts out less voc's than doing a glass model.
ace to give my input on costs ...the F-20 i make is for a 70mm size most guys want a bigger plane for the price....i dont think i am charging enough now to make any kind of profit. we are so spoiled by the low cost china planes that made in the usa is double or triple the cost.
I would love an F20 from you but it would have to be for a 90 mm fan
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:12 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,092 Posts
I bet Roger wishes he had a dollar for every person that has asked him if he has that jet in 90mm size

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:52 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
I feel your pain. But does it really hurt that much? Perhaps having discontinued and one off models in the hangar is actually a sign of having stuck it out to be a real RC modeler Not just an RC consumer
- Yeah I'll go with that
SAPAC Grippen (part. built)
Scott black Sabre (not built )
Global Fly F-16 (full comppsite 70mm- stalled and needs repair)
Wattage Sea Vixen.

Heck, by the time I put stuff together the "new product" threads are years old and dead!
Hey Chris,
I think a good part of the kit building problem is "risk aversion" All that time and money that could crash in a few flights. Foam ARFs are a lot less emotional investment. Ball it up? pull the euipment and get an airframe. Be flying in 2 weeks or less.
Another issue is repairing composite airframes. That sometimes requires more effort than building it.

Ron,
I think the other issue is the lack of concensus of modelers.
Hypothetical: How many would like an A-4 Skyhawk?
How many would like 70mm or 80mm or 90mm?
How many want scheme "x"?

Every "What should they build next" is peppered with the mundane (F-16, F-18) to the exotic (Mig 23 swing wing), With no one model getting the lion's share of the votes.
There is NO WAY you can please enough people to buy, initially and continually, To keep a product on the shelf indefinitely.
I too, am guilt of this.
Let alone, we all have too many unbuilt/unrepaired models to begin with.

Best advice I can give to any one is, if you really like some model, buy 2. You learn from the mistakes of the first and have the 2nd as a backup should it go out of production. Plus you'll know what not to do on the 2nd kit.

Respectfully,

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:10 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
I bet Roger wishes he had a dollar for every person that has asked him if he has that jet in 90mm size

Mark
I bet he does!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:25 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
Wow

First the Habu2 now the Habu 32 is the micro Habu is next
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:26 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,582 Posts
Lucky for me I recently scored an El Bandito RG NIB. Our departed friend Ralf made incredible airframes. This one of my two planned builds this fall.