SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2014, 05:57 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix 65" Cessna 182

I've been searching for a reasonably scale, balsa Cessna 182 that is easily converted or originally designed for electric power. Preferably in the 55"-65" span size. It's hard to believe, but there's nothing really like this currently available from a USA supplier.

Tower's Cessna this size is unsuitable for electric conversion and their larger one is too big for economically sized electric power systems. The CMP Cessna has no easy battery access. The Value Hobby Cessna just looks too crude. Sigh..... No satisfaction for a Cessnaholic.

For a couple of months I've been coaxing Tower to stock the Phoenix Vista 46 Cessna 182. It looked like my pleas were doing no good. Until today. Look what shows up as future product!

http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=51

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXENBM&P=ML
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jul 04, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2014, 08:54 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
The Phoenix planes generally have nice construction quality and mostly good design. But you never know for sure what your going to get because the specs and pictures aren't always correct.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 04, 2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:25 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
There are 40 photos of the Cessna 46 on the Phoenix site linked in my first post.

Except 13 of them are actually of the larger 1.20 sized Cessna and 27 photos are of the 46. Also, the video is the 1.20 plane and not the 46.

Both of these pictures are supposed to be of the 46. But one is of the 1.20. Can you spot the differences (beyond just the stickers)?
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:43 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
The picture is now up on the Tower site and the manual pdf is also. (Yea!) The estimated in-stock date has been moved up over 2 months to late July (Yea!)

But a review of the manual shows lots of inconsistencies and differences (Boo!)

The other 3 Phoenix planes I have were like this so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My main concern: the manual shows NO battery hatch! The battery is installed inside the cockpit thru an opening side door into a cavity in the instrument panel. This would sure be awkward and difficult. Nothing like the nice battery compartment shown for this plane on the Phoenix site and in my post #2 above.

Some pictures in the manual are of the larger 1.20 plane, some of the 46. And some appear to be of another different 182 altogether.

I'll roll the dice and get one anyway when they are available. My other Phoenix models have turned out to be very nice. Maybe this one will be as good.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 09, 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:58 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Looks like I'm just talking to myself here (and answering myself). Isn't that a sign of impending dementia?

Apparently there's not much interest in this plane. General Aviation scale planes just don't have the following that warbirds do.

But I know there are other GA lovers out there.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 11, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 01:21 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,572 Posts
Was looking at this for something different in my hangar since my FMS Cessna met its demise almost 2 years ago. You are right warbirds are more popular than civilian planes but to be honest even warbirds are waning.

As an everyday flyer, maybe the Tucano or pc21 or a Cherokee would be better. A low maintenance non foamy would be key.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:47 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
You know I'm a Cessna lover but I'm resisting the foam lure. I've had about every foam 172/182 out there. They are ok, but.......I just like balsa planes much better. So I'm very pleased Tower agreed to stock this one.

Interesting about your suggestions: I've got the GP Cherokee and the Phoenix Tucano already. They're among my very favorites, too!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:41 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,673 Posts
I like this, especially since I've been thinking about a Cessna to join my growing Cherokee fleet. But something looks kind of off about the main gear. It doesn't look like it's tracking wide enough.

When I do get a Cessna 182, it'll be a toss-up between this one and the GP, most likely. Unless I win the lottery and can afford the TopFlite. But if that's the case, an RCGuys Cherokee comes first!
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:38 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
There are a number of things not quite right here - as is usually the case. The main gear track does look a little narrow and the gear a bit too tall. I'm a bit more bothered by the lack of forward rake to the main gear legs. A 172/182 hallmark that I really like.

This smaller 46 sized one does not have the fillets for the main gear/ fuse junction and on both ends of the wing struts. The larger 1.20 plane has these but even they don't look quite right.

The fuse top, between the wings is red, a glaring error - the wings should be white all across.

I could nit-pick several more but this plane is close enough, for me, to enjoy it after some minor mods.
Old Oct 09, 2014, 01:16 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
182 Posts
So did your get it and what is your take now? How does it fly? I am hunting around for a decent sized Cessna with tri gear, Electric, 50in plus wingspan and less than 72. Has to be balsa. I have foam on some planes but looking for balsa for this one. So you thread and results are quite appreciated by me.
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Oct 09, 2014, 08:13 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
It's not in stock yet. Tower is now showing late November arrival. They've moved the date forward a couple of times.

I still plan to get one when it's available. I have several other Phoenix planes and I'm pleased with them. I've got high hopes for this Cessna.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:24 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
182 Posts
Where do you fly? Hernando? Area52? I fly at sparks in St Pete.
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna