SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:33 AM
Northiam, East Sussex, UK
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
Question
Dragonfly 2- Arthur Fox

In an old RCM&E - January 1988 - I bought on Ebay, I found this 2 page article on the "Dragonfly 2" built by Arthur Fox. It says it was based on Jack Luck's 61" span Dragonfly 1, featured in "Model Craftsman" a US magazine in 1947. It's a twin boom pusher.
I can find a bit (but not much) about AF but nothing at all about this aeroplane, which presumably he scaled up from the original design, to 92".
I find it's shape very appealing and unusual and wonder if anyone knows anything of it or whether plans are available?
Can you help?

Name: Dragonfly 2_RCME Jan 1988 P1_JPEG (Small).jpg
Views: 48
Size: 54.4 KB
Description:

Name: Dragonfly 2_RCME Jan 1988 P2_JPEG (Small).jpg
Views: 38
Size: 42.2 KB
Description:
malcolmdavis is online now Find More Posts by malcolmdavis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:02 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Plan

Hi Malcolm,

Have looked at a couple of sites but can't see where the plan for the Dragonfly 2 is listed. You may be interested in this one though, the name means Tadpole.
Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:52 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
The dragonfly II dimensioned drawings are in the SAM 35 yearbook No3. Unfortunately my printer's knackered so i can't scan them for you but I'll bet someone on here has got that issue. Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:09 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
Quite right Gary, here are the best scans I can manage, the originals are a bit faint but all the dimensions are there. Maybe one of our resident magicians can do something with them.

Malcolm; the late Arthur Fox built quite a number of outstanding vintage models, mostly scaled up, for radio control and I saw a number of them at the Old Warden Vintage meetings in the 80's. I particularly remember seeing his Thunderking glider. It is to be hoped that at least some of these lovely models survive with new owners.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:38 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,617 Posts
George, my late friend Keith Harris worked together with Arthur on many modelling projects, including making RC throttles for Mills engines. Keith was always highly complimentary (understatement!) of Arthur's machining talents.
Keith gave me a couple of Arthur's (Mills) RC throttles, which I still have...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:39 AM
Northiam, East Sussex, UK
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
Many thanks guys

Hi Guys
Thank you all very much for your interest and for the scan Sundancer - I just needed to have more information and this is fine for now - thanks.

I'm 65 now, and because I came back to aeromodelling later in life, as many do, I missed the Arthur Fox era. I do love the large vintage designs - I have just bought a Falcon kit, I have a Miss America kit and the plan for a very recent "vintage style" lovely called Centaur (from Australia).
That's not forgetting Scorpion, Schiffermuller, Black Magic, Cloud Airmaster, Radio Queen, Rover 90, Quaker Flash - all of which I have the plans for and want to build. Problem is, I 'aint getting any younger and can never resist buying more plans for stuff that appeals to me. I'm like a child in a sweetshop! I've jst finished putting all the plans I have onto a spreadsheet and was slightly horrified to find the total was 210
At 3 months each to build (and that's very ambitious), I need to live for at least another 50 years. So I could be 115 when I finish - and that's only if I don't add any more plans !!!

Perhaps it's just part of the "condition"?
malcolmdavis is online now Find More Posts by malcolmdavis
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:55 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
The bad news is Malcolm, it only gets worse! I'm 71 now and with over 500 models behind me in 64 years of building and flying still have a building "wish list" that I would need to live to 300 to complete! The main thing is to crack on and build some of them! And just enjoy looking at the plans of the others.

I find the building list is very much a moveable feast, which is as it should be because a build is most enjoyable when you just suddenly get the urge to do a particular model. I find I need to be enthused about a project when I start, otherwise there is always the possibility that it will finish up as one of the dreaded half finished airframes that used to litter my workshop; with a bit of self-discipline and only starting models when I am really keen I have managed to avoid this problem of late.

Enjoy your building and flying, happy landings
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member