HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Very, very nice!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
StevieT.
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2011
367 Posts
Nice!
Randino is offline Find More Posts by Randino
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrjames38 View Post
Recently camped out at our local field for a few days to fly large gas planes ...of course I brought the 74" EDGE to night fly and test some new 6S batteries. Changed out the servos to savox 1270s and put on SWB arms a month or so ago and this plane just keeps on going....does some of the best SLOW inverted harrier , funnel hovers, and harrier rolls of any plane I've ever flown.

James

Got patriotic the last day ...my wife took some great pictures of the edge and the flag!!
Still looks great James... you were the one that turned me on to this plane when you texted me the pics of the fun-size elevators so thanks for that. I'm looking forward to seeing some info on the new 75" 330 LT, but I may just buy a red version of the 74 Edge to go with my silver version for now, and just have fun with these planes this season. The power loading at 10.8 pounds is tough to beat.

I had Ken wind me a 198Kv and I can now switch between the 21x10 for XA and 22x8 for 3D on 12S 3300mAh, bring it in at 10.6 pounds, and still get 7 minutes. The 22x8 was pulling 22 pounds on my Rapala.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,870 Posts
FYI... for the guys that don't really like the silly power some of us prefer, going to a 21x8 PJN on this same setup still produces 19 pounds of thrust, 2740W and only 57.22A at 7180 RPMs. That would mean 8 minutes of flight time on a 3300mAh capacity at 10.6 pounds all up. This also means I can go to 2600mAh for 6.6 minutes, and drop another 9 ounces to 10.2 pounds, according to my battery weight. I forgot to try my 20x10, but it would speed things up a bit at about the same Amps since the 21x10 and the 22x8 were both developing 64.5 to 66.0 Amps. I also have room to move the lighter batts forward but did not try to balance the plane with lighter batts yet. But the Rx batt is behind the wingtube so there's more room for adjustment.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
FYI... for the guys that don't really like the silly power some of us prefer...
Please pass me those user names so that I can report them...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Please pass me those user names so that I can report them...
LOL... I have run into a few along the way that question the power loading, as you may imagine. I sometimes wish I had not pushed the edge of the power spectrum because it opens the door for disappointment now that other 73-74 inch planes are coming in at 11.5 and 12.5 pounds. Unless we see a 750 or 800 gram motor capable of swinging a 22x10 or 23x8 to 7100 RPMs, 3500W, and 78A on 12S, we may be feeling a bit sluggish after flying these babies.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
LOL... I have run into a few along the way that question the power loading, as you may imagine. I sometimes wish I had not pushed the edge of the power spectrum because it opens the door for disappointment now that other 73-74 inch planes are coming in at 11.5 and 12.5 pounds. Unless we see a 750 or 800 gram motor capable of swinging a 22x10 or 23x8 to 7100 RPMs, 3500W, and 78A on 12S, we may be feeling a bit sluggish after flying these babies.
Yup.....

One thing that is a bit disconcerting to me though, is I will fly my 74" which is on 10S, and still has quite a bit of power, then fly my 58" Edge, with the same color scheme. Now my 58" on 5S with a Hacker A50-14XS does have a lot of power, and after flying it, and considering they both have the same color scheme, it throws me a bit when I go back to the 74" as it looks like it doesn't have the power any more (which is not true)..

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,870 Posts
Yeah, induced drag and scale speed will play tricks on us visually. Then there is the difference between thrust and speed... my 21x10 is fast, bit when you turn the plane on it's tail and punch out vertically, the thrust loading is clearly better with a bigger prop with a slightly lower pitch.

I can have a 77 mph pitch speed with a 20x12 prop on 6480 RPMs and 2800W developing 19 pounds out of a hover, and I can have a 51 mph pitch speed with a 22x8 to 2800W developing 22 pounds out of a hover. So it's all about XA versus 3D and what you individually prefer.

Some will see the speed and just okay pull out, and say "incredible power" and some will see the slower speed and the ballistic pull out and say "incredible power". We see what we are looking for.... Different strokes.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
The other thing that is just a bit bothersome, is that we have a 65' wide runway, and if I fly my 58", I will land right down the center-line, but if I fly my 74" right after the 58", I will end up landing clear to the other side of the runway, or off the runway (and you don't want to do that at our field) if I am not careful....just old eyes I guess...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
dont you just love it when you get it wrong.

guys crossing the cables for A and C setup will not be the same, you will still get a slack on one side. if the wires do not cross and you have a "perfect setup" then you wont get the slack.

edit: there is no scaling, the numbers are purely for comparison
Those figures are very nice indeed....I like the CAD approach for proving out where this slack comes in...but maybe I'm missing something...when I cross the cables, the rudder moves in opposite rotation to the servo. Can you reprint this image for that situation, I'd love to see what the numbers show.

EDIT....it seems that you were fixing that just as I posted....cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The other thing that is just a bit bothersome, is that we have a 65' wide runway, and if I fly my 58", I will land right down the center-line, but if I fly my 74" right after the 58", I will end up landing clear to the other side of the runway, or off the runway (and you don't want to do that at our field) if I am not careful....just old eyes I guess...

SteveT.
Steve, fly around noon...and put the shadow on the centerline....then it all works out for the best
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
To make it easy, I don't take the 58" and 74" to the field on the same day, then no mental adjustment needed...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:25 AM
" I only fly Davebuilt"
wrjames38's Avatar
north county san diego
Joined Jan 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Still looks great James... you were the one that turned me on to this plane when you texted me the pics of the fun-size elevators so thanks for that. I'm looking forward to seeing some info on the new 75" 330 LT, but I may just buy a red version of the 74 Edge to go with my silver version for now, and just have fun with these planes this season. The power loading at 10.8 pounds is tough to beat.

I had Ken wind me a 198Kv and I can now switch between the 21x10 for XA and 22x8 for 3D on 12S 3300mAh, bring it in at 10.6 pounds, and still get 7 minutes. The 22x8 was pulling 22 pounds on my Rapala.
Thanks Jim...this airframe and the EF 78" extra are still my "everyday" planes when I don't have time to take the trailer out with the bigger airframes!

Hope the Florida weather is treating you well...SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IS PARADISE right now.

James
wrjames38 is offline Find More Posts by wrjames38
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 60 inch edge 540 vs 48 inch extreme flight extra 300 & edge 540 vs 3dhs slick 51 & 59 CRFan1 3D Flying 40 Mar 04, 2012 02:45 PM
Sold 3DHS 41" Edge 540 PNP $225 gonzoman5 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Oct 05, 2011 10:53 AM
Wanted 3dhs Edge 540 47" (red bull scheme) SmokeDogg Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 13 Sep 29, 2011 02:19 PM
Wanted 3DHS Edge 540 47" (Red Bull Scheme) SmokeDogg Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 24, 2011 01:58 AM
Wanted 3dhs edge 540 47" (red bull scheme) vhuang168 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 08, 2011 10:13 PM