HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostheli View Post
I can confirm that it works per finster's instructions.

Prof100, make sure to remove the file before you use the camera. after removing file unplug from usb and wait for light to go off then turn on camera and take a video(timestamp should be gone)
I did it just as you describe making sure I unplugge it and waited for the light to go off. I turned it on a took a video. No luck, I still have the time stamp.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:24 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Prof100-

Being you didnt delete the file after install you might want to start over from begining...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:32 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
finster, I have added to your instructions. It took me three times to get it to work. I think this will help.

Remove Date/Time Instructions:

Use at own risk!!! Follow steps below.

#1 Turn on camera, plug in USB.

#2 Open the camera folder and place the FW96630A NO TIME.bin file next to the DCIM folder (root of camera)
Important Note: ((Do not rename or modify the .bin files))

#3 Unplug the USB and wait for the light to go off on its own.

#4 Turn on camera and wait for the light to appear (takes few seconds)

#5 Plug in USB

#6 Open the camera folder again but this time delete the file FW96630A.bin from the folder. Make sure to delete the file or the cam will keep installing the .bin file each time the cam powers up.

#7 Unplug the USB and wait for the light to go off on its own.

#8 Test your cam to see if Time/Date is gone.

First attempt
At #5 I removed the SD card and used the adapter to remove the .bin file. Returned SD card to cam and this did not work.
Second attempt
At #7 I unplugged the usb and immediately began pushing the button to record video. This did not work.

So #5 to help those who over think things, and #7 for those who are impatient.
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I did it just as you describe making sure I unplugge it and waited for the light to go off. I turned it on a took a video. No luck, I still have the time stamp.
There really isn't anything special about the process. If the card is in the camera with the firmware file on it, it will try to load it every time the camera is turned on. That's why the instruction to delete it after the first time you turn on the camera with it on the card.

Does the normal LED light come on as fast it in would normally do, or is there a slight delay when you turn on the camera with the file on the card? If no delay, the firmware is not loading into the camera and is being ignored. This could be a good thing!

I was told by those sources identified who are selling the cameras, that there was at least another earlier version that can not load the firmware. Who knows if there were more than one? Maybe the firmware files with the longer names only install on some earlier version, different from yours, and still different from what is being shipped today.

I guess you've tried the procedure more than once with the longer named files, and they don't work with your camera. And we know at least one camera was bricked with this process using the shorter named files. Is yours one of the ones that will work with those, or one that will brick? There is no way to tell other than by trial and (potentially $40) error.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There really isn't anything special about the process. If the card is in the camera with the firmware file on it, it will try to load it every time the camera is turned on. That's why the instruction to delete it after the first time you turn on the camera with it on the card.

Does the normal LED light come on as fast it in would normally do, or is there a slight delay when you turn on the camera with the file on the card? If no delay, the firmware is not loading into the camera and is being ignored. This could be a good thing!

I was told by those sources identified who are selling the cameras, that there was at least another earlier version that can not load the firmware. Who knows if there were more than one? Maybe the firmware files with the longer names only install on some earlier version, different from yours, and still different from what is being shipped today.

I guess you've tried the procedure more than once with the longer named files, and they don't work with your camera. And we know at least one camera was bricked with this process using the shorter named files. Is yours one of the ones that will work with those, or one that will brick? There is no way to tell other than by trial and (potentially $40) error.
I just tried the whole process again. When I get to step to delete the file the only file is FW96630A NO TIME.bin file. There is NO FWD96630A.bin file.

There is no delay when turning it on again so the camera is ignoring the no time bin file.

Mine was ordered on December 19th from electo...

I used to real manufacturing where you have batch and lot control. I am picturing a tub of these cameras somewhere in China and versions are mixed into the tub and sent out as orders come in. I picture something like this is where we get our cameras:
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 31, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:58 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
I just tried the whole process again. When I get to step to delete the file the only file is FW96630A NO TIME.bin file. There is NO FWD96630A.bin file.

There is no delay when turning it on again so the camera is ignoring the no time bin file.

I used to real manufacturing where you have batch and lot control. I am picturing a tub of these cameras somewhere in China and versions are mixed into the tub and sent out as orders come in.
the same file that you loaded is the file (FW96630A NO TIME.bin file) that you are to delete. i ordered mine on the 20th from the same.
Last edited by lostheli; Dec 31, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
the same file that you loaded is the file that you are to delete. i ordered mine on the 20th from the same.
I will try it one more time, but suspect it's just a version issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
lostheli-

ok...I though people would know to use usb when I said "plug in usb" at top...your rite...I will add that...

Prof-

delete the no time.bin and restart cam..
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
I tried again and it still has the stamp. There was NO delay when I turned the camera on after installing the NO TIME bin file.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:

I used to real manufacturing where you have batch and lot control. I am picturing a tub of these cameras somewhere in China and versions are mixed into the tub and sent out as orders come in.
You still have to delete the "FW96630A No Time.bin file" or it will try to reload every time you turn on the camera. The instructions refer to the "FW96630A.bin" file because that's what they are now named, and since you didn't copy one with that name to your memory card, there is none to delete afterwards.

When clx1 and I were trying to clarify the install instructions, we got a couple iterations from his vendor with a couple revisions as we went. I think you got the latest instructions with old file names.

FWIW, I sent the link to this thread to one of the sources (to the vendor I bought mine from), and got a reply back from the other source, thanking me for mentioning all 4 stores of his company! I don't think the vendors make much difference in which camera model is sent now... maybe they did earlier when the camer firmware was being revamped.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
You still have to delete the "FW96630A No Time.bin file" or it will try to reload every time you turn on the camera. The instructions refer to the "FW96630A.bin" file because that's what they are now named, and since you didn't copy one with that name to your memory card, there is none to delete afterwards.

When clx1 and I were trying to clarify the install instructions, we got a couple iterations from his vendor with a couple revisions as we went. I think you got the latest instructions with old file names.

FWIW, I sent the link to this thread to one of the sources (to the vendor I bought mine from), and got a reply back from the other source, thanking me for mentioning all 4 stores of his company! I don't think the vendors make much difference in which camera model is sent now... maybe they did earlier when the camer firmware was being revamped.
The last four times I have deleted the highlighted in bold above file. Still no luck. Go figure. Does Windows 7 have some goofy protections to prevent deleting firmware files? I am still a newbie with W7 and keep getting surprised by all the protections in place to prevent me from using my computer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:13 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
I will try it one more time, but suspect it's just a version issue.
Try to give 5 seconds between each step or at least after step #3. I hope you get it to work.

Also, I did not use the file from finster, I used the file sent to me from the vendor which is labeled only FW96630A.bin and is 1,082,445 bytes.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Try to give 5 seconds between each step or at least after step #3. I hope you get it to work.

Also, I did not use the file from finster, I used the file sent to me from the vendor which is labeled only FW96630A.bin and is 1,082,445 bytes.

Hmmm, Finsters file is 1052 kb. Maybe I should try yours.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:

And I'll bet a fine dinner that is the exact same file I have (same file size and name), which is IDENTICAL (byte-for-byte) to the file finster has available for down load, except the name his file name is slightly longer.

Assuming prof100 has done the process correctly (and It sounds like he has) the only thing he MIGHT try (this is NOT ME speaking!), is to try the same procedure with the file named FW96630A.bin and see if it also doesn't load, or it loads and works, or loads and bricks his camera. And we know if can do that based on clx1's trial.

If it were me, I'd contact the seller first and see if they will do a swap or repair if I tried it and it bricked (same way clx1 did). If they wouldn't, I'd opt to save my $40 investment and crop the video to get rid of the date.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm, Finsters file is 1052 kb. Maybe I should try yours.
The file size show up differently depending on what you are usin to view it. Right click on the icon, select properties, and the look at the files size and file size on disk. The size being mentioned is the "size" shown there, not the "size on disk".
Closed Thread