HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:32 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
dude i just wish i had a lipo & esc for brush . ( i'm making a analog servo driven mechanical speed controler using a 3 tap power resistor (from boat) , i will build it and poast , its a trick i made when building RC boats , gives off, slow , med , full bypass . and was way faster and smaler that off the shelf SC & ESC 's of teh day because of full bypass . I have a dedicated uBEC(4 servos off 6-24v dc source) )
this build sounds like a disaster

you can get a nice brushless motor esc for $22 from rctimer. 3s 1000mah batteries can be had for $10.

that brushed motors going to be way to much weight.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:35 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Quote:
well i just gaot back from home depot ( 1/2 inch pink 200 foam) = (booms material)
and some walmart knock off depron like board . ( will chuck it in bath tub after wife has a bath , the warm soapy water shoudl get the card board off )

dude i just wish i had a lipo & esc for brush . ( i'm making a analog servo driven mechanical speed controler using a 3 tap power resistor (from boat) , i will build it and poast , its a trick i made when building RC boats , gives off, slow , med , full bypass . and was way faster and smaler that off the shelf SC & ESC 's of teh day because of full bypass . I have a dedicated uBEC(4 servos off 6-24v dc source) )

i can't wait till i have enough to order a motor&esc&lipo kit from grayson hobbies . but still need a charger .
how long can i get by with thier $20 one ? any one use one ?

- ps where should i put the build log for the titan booms build ?
Cool! really lookin forward to that one!... Put it wherever you want! Even here If you want... but if you do start a new thread, please at least post the final pics here with a link to your thread! Good luck!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:25 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
this build sounds like a disaster

you can get a nice brushless motor esc for $22 from rctimer. 3s 1000mah batteries can be had for $10.

that brushed motors going to be way to much weight.
LOL - LHS has crap for $50 , is just a brushless that should be $20 .
they don't have any props in stock, or esc just HS 55's and such. lots of RTF kits but no bits.
rite now i have to wait till i can afford to order motor esc & lipo and charger.

::
any how here is the micro test model , to see if it flys , and if i like the looks
LOL , & a ref for bigger build.
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:29 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
LOL - LHS has crap for $50 , is just a brushless that should be $20 .
they don't have any props in stock, or esc just HS 55's and such. lots of RTF kits but no bits.
rite now i have to wait till i can afford to order motor esc & lipo and charger.

any how here is the micro test model , to see if it flys , and if i like the looks
LOL , & a ref for bigger build.
Now thats creativity! I really admire the fact that you took the time to make a smaller one to see if it ll fly. I would suggest you mount the prop somewhere Else. From my experience, if you have the elevator right behind the prop, it will be a little too sensitive to the right stick vertically. But i think you have something coming along. I owuld hope you put the build thread here in this post, so we can all just come to one page to learn from others mistakes, and carry on. However, i think yours wont be a mistake, i have seen booms done on this model once, and it looks amazing. He had the prop above the fuse though. I just bought 2 more frames from wallmart, and i am going to make another one with just elevator and rudder, and leave the ailerons, cause its not worth the weight on these models.

Can i suggest you to headsuprc.com thay have some nice prices and shipping is only 2 bucks. I just ordered a 2409-12T motor and ESC kit from them, and this combo was $26...but with a 8x4E prop its got about 1000kgs of thrust....i kid ...1000g. Which is pretty good for kicking a styro plane around. Guess what i am making after the twin edf 2.0? lol... good luck and keep up posted m8!
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:04 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Extreme Tailerons

My taileron-only version (no rudder) is coming along. Hoping to get at least 1 rps roll rate, but doubt it's very probable with stock wings. I'll maiden with stock wings, and go from there.
Titan Taileron Test (2 min 39 sec)
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:17 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
looks like a nice start. how about setting up linked taileron/ailerons like this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12614

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12614
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
Now thats creativity! I really admire the fact that you took the time to make a smaller one to see if it ll fly. I would suggest you mount the prop somewhere Else. From my experience, if you have the elevator right behind the prop, it will be a little too sensitive to the right stick vertically. But i think you have something coming along. I owuld hope you put the build thread here in this post, so we can all just come to one page to learn from others mistakes, and carry on. However, i think yours wont be a mistake, i have seen booms done on this model once, and it looks amazing. He had the prop above the fuse though. I just bought 2 more frames from wallmart, and i am going to make another one with just elevator and rudder, and leave the ailerons, cause its not worth the weight on these models.

Can i suggest you to headsuprc.com thay have some nice prices and shipping is only 2 bucks. I just ordered a 2409-12T motor and ESC kit from them, and this combo was $26...but with a 8x4E prop its got about 1000kgs of thrust....i kid ...1000g. Which is pretty good for kicking a styro plane around. Guess what i am making after the twin edf 2.0? lol... good luck and keep up posted m8!
I hope you post here as well -- it is so cool to see everyones ideas and builds in one spot. I really respect your design process!

As vyas suggested, headsup is a good place to order -- I have ordered several motors and esc's from him. He gives great test data (amps, watts, thrust) for each of his motors with various props. It's really helpful for determining the right power setup for your model and how you want to fly it. Shipping is really fast -- I've gotten everything in two days!

I think the boom setup is great -- it's stable, and it allows for a direct thrustline. It also helps to protect your motor in the event of a crash. True, the elevator is in the thrustline but you can use that to your advantage. One of my favorite and best flying models is a multiplex fox that I did a twin boom setup... you do have to be careful with the launch b/c of the location of the prop. I used to chuck it and then turn on the motor once it was in the air!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:42 AM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
My taileron-only version (no rudder) is coming along. Hoping to get at least 1 rps roll rate, but doubt it's very probable with stock wings. I'll maiden with stock wings, and go from there.
http://vimeo.com/12752520
Would love to see a flight video on this one. How did you attach the motor to the rudder? I am guessing you probably have some internal support?

Put some wings on, a bettery and shoot for the skies man.
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:28 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
wow great stuff guys .

- so a grayson V3 is enough to move this foam beastie ?
hmm. like i said i have been out of RC flight for some time . my only other glider motor is 1.5 times thw size of that one and it was buit for glider.
LOL
I just wish my LHS would carry some staples , like props and such . LOL realy dissapointed that way .

I also hate that i have to replace my old smart chargers . LOL they wher expensive .

now i have some bills in the way , but if i can get power plan and charge system for ~$100 , i will be happy . LOL

i did not think a Grayson v3 had the power to move these with authority . Hmm (just going by suggested AUW on thier site. .. wortha 2nd look for me then .

the brushed motor and pack and mSC weighs as much as the whole slope one i made ( vs AUW ) . to heck with that . I will order something at month end . I will just used brushed for my old boats .LOL .

the Mini 'T' should give a good feel for how full one would look . & chance to fix basic airframe errors
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:21 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Quote:
wow great stuff guys .

hmm. like i said i have been out of RC flight for some time . my only other glider motor is 1.5 times thw size of that one and it was buit for glider.
LOL
I just wish my LHS would carry some staples , like props and such . LOL realy dissapointed that way .

I also hate that i have to replace my old smart chargers . LOL they wher expensive .

now i have some bills in the way , but if i can get power plan and charge system for ~$100 , i will be happy . LOL

i did not think a Grayson v3 had the power to move these with authority . Hmm (just going by suggested AUW on thier site. .. wortha 2nd look for me then .

the brushed motor and pack and mSC weighs as much as the whole slope one i made ( vs AUW ) . to heck with that . I will order something at month end . I will just used brushed for my old boats .LOL .

the Mini 'T' should give a good feel for how full one would look . & chance to fix basic airframe errors
I got back into this hobby a little over a year ago -- after a long hiatus (about 15yrs). I've been blown away by the advancements in e-flight. These little power systems are amazing! There's a lot of great info in the forums on matching power systems. My grayson V2 supersonic parkjet motor was great (I had it on the upgraded funjet version) until it threw a magnet! It got about 24oz. of thrust on a 6x4 prop! What is your target AUW and wingspan for your build?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
Would love to see a flight video on this one. How did you attach the motor to the rudder? I am guessing you probably have some internal support?

Put some wings on, a bettery and shoot for the skies man.
I will have video once I fly it. I have vacation approaching in the next couple of weeks, so it will be a while.

The motor pod is made of meat tray foam, 6mm thick and very stiff. It just so happens that with a plywood firewall made to just fit the "X-mount" for the motor, the inside dimension between the side pieces exactly fits the max thickness of the rudder. So I just made a couple of top/bottom pieces with cutouts to fit the rudder airfoil shape, glued the pod pieces together with epoxy, then used Sumo PU (foaming) glue to anchor the pod to the rudder. Once the elevator was glued in place, the entire assembly seems very rigid with no CF stiffeners that I had thought might be necessary. I'm going to fly it this way to save a little weight.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,701 Posts
Quote:
wow great stuff guys .

The Grayson V3 has plenty of power for this plane. The components for my plane weigh 16.1 oz. (I build as light as I can). I set mine up with just enough prop clearance for a 5x5 EMP prop, which easily powers my AXN Clouds Fly powered glider with similar motor kV and size, but heavier airframe by about 3 oz. (made of heavier EPO foam with 4 servos). The Grayson motor can also swing an APC 6x4E prop without being over taxed for more thrust, but I went for greater speed with this plane. Based on my tests and confirmed in Dr. Kiwi tests, I should have about 18 oz. of thrust @ WOT (88 mph theoretical pitch speed) with the EMP 5x5 prop, and about 23 oz. (68 mph) with the APC 6x4E prop.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
well i want to keep it low .
old one was 17.5 , 22 oz AUW (due to radio pack weight) , as a slope with ailerons .

i will build for ailerons again .. but may just prep for them as elevator and rudder may be enough if the wing retains enough dihedral .
- prolly won't curve up wing tips as i did on mini 'T' LOL

any how mini is done , except now i want to harvest the pager motor from a reach tooth brush . & find a smaller cell , ( could take apart a AAA nicad or nimh as they are just a wee block in the mid of much packaging )

get or make a better prop , as that one is too small . LOL but was fun to make.
i will begin cutting on the big version tonight.
- prolly recycle the old elevator plane as the canards

Thanks Tom. i was looking at one of thier packages , v3 esc & lipo.
the order a charger with it.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:31 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
ok so i cut the Normal size titan.
and it begins. i removed 5 inches of wing tip . ( the mini calls for a full foot removed from each wing .LOL but I'm not so quick for that . )

so using as canards = same rel' wing area rite now.

i will prolly do the wing as glued in middle and as a bottom hatch . that way all wing servos can mount to wing middle . Just hallow out fuse above the wing saddle area.

then i will make most of the area near original canopy a hatch as well and link em' inside fuse using that pip bore system to hot wire scoop.

- woring out wing spars and joining system as tips will remove for transport.
prolly just dowels into some small brass tube , or graphite , if i can find some arround town . LOL

Vyas thanks for help on web store and motor .
what i plan to get for this one :
Lipo Battery 11.1v 1300mah 20C - 26 amp Lithium Polymer
Emax EC-0856 Balance Charger

P3 2409-12T Brushless Motor & 30 Amp Mag 8 ESC
R5 3.5mm Connector Combo - 6 pr 3.5mm & 2 pr T-Plug

TP 8 x 4E Thin Electric Propellers - TWO Props
TP 7 x 6E Thin Electric Propellers - TWO Props
-(low amps good thrust/speed)
want both prop sizes , just fo rmy own testing , curiosity. LOL but that 7 inch is a screamer 19 amps & 60mph ? (less airframe drag and all that evil anti-fun stuf)

als re power mount . the rear fire wall is flat so i could mount anything there even a old cox motor ( for a melty flying experiance )
but mainly I can put the thrust line where ever i want , i could make a pod just above it and put a foam cone on it.

heck if i was crazy ( and i am ) i could make a small gimble plate and make it thrust vectoring ( but that is best if i was gonna use EDF.

but this air frame could test any thrust system , just have to mind the rear elevator , making me think active front canards could be very handy . LOL
( will have to build a few boom varyants , i can tell all ready ) ( i do need mroe stick time too , so i fly / drive what ever i can rite now , windy = indoor heli and such. )

SNice's pusher fun jet is wicked cool, and make sme think with some time i could cut my wings smaller and blast arround like crazy . LOL . hey $10 air frame is the best R&D ( Rebuild & Destroy) platform.

:: 3rd pic shows loads of wing work done . & how i plan to connect to fuse.
Last edited by Prime_8; Jun 24, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:54 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
a whole bunch more done .

the wings are hot glued onto the wing hatch .
It bolts up nice and firm .

( i will show inside wing area later )

as it is + the stuff left to go on ~11oz.
but proly finish up at 9oz after sanding and shaping of those bits .
motor & esc = 3.4 oz
+ 4.1 for a 11.1 volt 1300 mah 30C lipo.
+ 1.3 oz for servos (4 of em)
----
19.8 oz

so ~2oz to play with for radio gear . LOL

teh motor with one of the props i'm planning on makes 22 oz of thrust @ 19a & 60mph (by prop pitch speed)

the other prop makes 28oz of thrust , at 23A

esc is good for 30a continuious and 35a burst (10 sec) .
i know we look for better than 50% T/W , but i would like 1:1 or better

never know when a blast could save the day. so at 50 % throtle should be a nice fly
Last edited by Prime_8; Jun 25, 2010 at 08:24 AM.