HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:19 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,027 Posts
small zip ties for outrunner balancing?

Thank you Bob, order just placed via paypal (incl postage).

To balance outrunners I assume they are placed inside the shroud and put on the balancer. I read in another thread that small zip ties would work well for outrunner balancing, there is one small weight which can easily be moved around - anyone tried this? Manually I didn't manage to balance small outrunners (just be feeling the vibrations) cheers Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:21 PM
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Thank you Bob, order just placed via paypal (incl postage).

To balance outrunners I assume they are placed inside the shroud and put on the balancer. I read in another thread that small zip ties would work well for outrunner balancing, there is one small weight which can easily be moved around - anyone tried this? Manually I didn't manage to balance small outrunners (just be feeling the vibrations) cheers Clemens
Seen the order thanks I will mail dispatch date shortly.

To balance outrunners I assume they are placed inside the shroud and put on the balancer.
Yes.
I have used cyno and kicker in the gaps between the magnets in the past.
It is always good to practice with an outrunner on its own initially as you can stick blu tack on the outside of the drum until you are familiar with operation.
Bob Blackburn is offline Find More Posts by Bob Blackburn
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:37 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,027 Posts
Bob's balancer comes UPSIDE DOWN :-)

Hi all,

it just turned out that anlucas and I had the same problem: we didn't realize that the fan, as it comes, has to be made operational:

The balancing beam is held on with copious amounts of blue tac, but I thought that would have to be that way, who knows.

So if you receive the balancer, remove the beam from the blue tac, remove the blue tac, and turn it upside down so that the two "feet" are now actually reaching the sensors. Oh my. No wonder I was not getting anything sensible from the balancer...

Well, maybe the sheet of paper you get with the product could be updated to spare other people a great amount of time and anger

cheers
Clemens

first of all thank you for shipping the balancer, it came well-packed, and I went about and tried several motors, fans etc.

But so far not much success, and I tried really hard.

Now I read in the other thread about your balancer that the transverse beam should touch BOTH magnets.

So I pushed it down, but even using a lot of force, I cannot bring it to touch both.
Should I step on it (my feeling is that even that wouldn's suffice, but rather destroy parts of the fan)

Thanks for assistance
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: found the source of the problem
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Hi all,

it just turned out that anlucas and I had the same problem: we didn't realize that the fan, as it comes, has to be made operational:

The balancing beam is held on with copious amounts of blue tac, but I thought that would have to be that way, who knows.

So if you receive the balancer, remove the beam from the blue tac, remove the blue tac, and turn it upside down so that the two "feet" are now actually reaching the sensors. Oh my. No wonder I was not getting anything sensible from the balancer...

Well, maybe the sheet of paper you get with the product could be updated to spare other people a great amount of time and anger

cheers
Clemens

first of all thank you for shipping the balancer, it came well-packed, and I went about and tried several motors, fans etc.

But so far not much success, and I tried really hard.

Now I read in the other thread about your balancer that the transverse beam should touch BOTH magnets.

So I pushed it down, but even using a lot of force, I cannot bring it to touch both.
Should I step on it (my feeling is that even that wouldn's suffice, but rather destroy parts of the fan)

Thanks for assistance
Clemens
Clemens,
glad you got to the bottom of it I will review the instruction sheet.
Last edited by Bob Blackburn; Feb 04, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:18 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,418 Posts
These new version, more sensitive balancer models are proving to be difficult to use for larger (90mm) fans and heavier 70mm fans.

I am achieving good balance to around 95%+ but a point comes where, even with the sensitive dial set to the minimum, I can't get the balancer to highlight just 1 consistent spot. Usually I get the mark appearing over 1/4-1/2 of the spinner. I had to try different spots by trial and error to improve the balance after that.

Any ideas on which softer tube material could I use to reduce the sensitivity?
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:46 PM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
These new version, more sensitive balancer models are proving to be difficult to use for larger (90mm) fans and heavier 70mm fans.

I am achieving good balance to around 95%+ but a point comes where, even with the sensitive dial set to the minimum, I can't get the balancer to highlight just 1 consistent spot. Usually I get the mark appearing over 1/4-1/2 of the spinner. I had to try different spots by trial and error to improve the balance after that.

Any ideas on which softer tube material could I use to reduce the sensitivity?
Anlucas,

You can reduce sensitivity by reducing the preload.

When you get the balancer new it takes a press on the beam to get both magnets to engage.
If you reduce tube length to the point that the axle just clicks into place you will see a reduction in sensitivity.

Make sure both sensors have contact with the tubing too short will stop the unit working properly.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:21 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,418 Posts
Great!

Thanks Bob.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:27 PM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Probably me, but I am having some real issues figuring this procedure out.... I got the line marked and the setup right, but the whole adding weight seems like its just a guessing game to me until you get the 3 marks....And the 240p videos don't seem to make it any better.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonderk View Post
Probably me, but I am having some real issues figuring this procedure out.... I got the line marked and the setup right, but the whole adding weight seems like its just a guessing game to me until you get the 3 marks....And the 240p videos don't seem to make it any better.
The "adding weight" exercise at the beginning is to demonstrate where the "heavy side" appears every time.

Once you are happy you can reliably demonstrate the "heavy side" in the same place at the "low repeatable rpm"

you will be able to take the weight off spin the fan up and note where the mark is shown.
stop the fan put the mark back to where you saw it when it was strobed
The "heavy side" will still be where you saw it earlier even though there is no blu tack there.
now add a small amount of weight to the light side (opposite the heavy side) and repeat operation.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:04 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
So does the heavy side stay at that same spot for everything as long as its at that rpm or do you have to do that for every fan unit at the beginning? After watching the video acouple more times I am figuring it out now.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:21 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonderk View Post
So does the heavy side stay at that same spot for everything as long as its at that rpm or do you have to do that for every fan unit at the beginning? After watching the video acouple more times I am figuring it out now.
You have to do it for every fan unit once and it's at the same spot at the same rpm afterwards.

Don't worry all of us had the same questions at the start.

After half a dozen fans, the routine becomes automatic.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:31 AM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,899 Posts
wish someone would do a long Hd video on using this balancer. had mine a year, still havent used it.
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Apr 08, 2013, 01:19 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
633 Posts
agree with capt soap here... used mine a couple of times, but it's been more hit & miss than anything else.

I think my biggest problem is to get a constant RPM on the fan. Been using the remote with the power index on the lever, not precise enough... what are u guys using to set a constant RPM between the runs?

Thanx
DeeCee 57 is offline Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Apr 08, 2013, 03:15 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,418 Posts
I might do one. Will leave the camera running while balancing a fan. Will try to explain what's happening.

No guarantees about the aesthetic result though.....
Last edited by anlucas; Apr 08, 2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 09:25 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
agree with capt soap here... used mine a couple of times, but it's been more hit & miss than anything else.

I think my biggest problem is to get a constant RPM on the fan. Been using the remote with the power index on the lever, not precise enough... what are u guys using to set a constant RPM between the runs?

Thanx
I dont have this balancer but I use a servo tester (Hitec HFP-25) with a digital readout to obtain a constant rpm.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH