HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2014, 06:33 PM
United States, NY, Averill Park
Joined Jan 2014
22 Posts
Gene,
I was lazy. Only stripped the paint off the tail. Since I was double coating the fuselage (yellow base coat and a couple of tans to make the "grain") I just left it on there. I'm confident it would have worked just as well though.
I'll repost once I get my insignia put on it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it fly around the dome where I fly in the winter.
Kris
Dustoff Kris is offline Find More Posts by Dustoff Kris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:15 AM
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
Kris the wood grain and panel lines on the fuselage look really great! I plan to add that detail to mine as well. Did you use tissue on the wings for the lozenge as well? Great build so far.
Altbob is offline Find More Posts by Altbob
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:20 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
750 Posts
+1 Dustoff Kris, that looks great!
You guys are making me want to dig my little albie out and give it a nice finish....at least give it a shot.
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2014
22 Posts
Thanks guys! It is pretty easy. The wings and tail are tissue. It was too easy to print on the tissue. Applying it to the wing was pretty easy too. Just make sure you strip ALL the paint. I left a flake here and there and once I sprayed with clear matte; they really showed through.
I'm now looking at the Neuport thinking what I could do to it. I disassembled it yesterday when my radio died in midst flight! Unfortunately I was screwing around at full throttle. I hit the ceiling, wall, chainlink fence and finally the floor. I figure since it is in pieces I might do some customization! LOL
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:11 PM
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
I know that feeling all too well Kris! As for stripping the paint, my solution was to spray prime the wings in grey primer. I don't know how much weight that added though. Probably not too terrible.

On another note, I got my Night Vapor brick and UM P-51 motor and gearbox in the mail today, so if I decide to give up on the FlyZone Rx and motor I've got an option...and can use my Dx7 and mix some down elevator into the throttle too, which I think this model will benefit from.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:52 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff Kris View Post
Well Gents, I've been working. Here it is so far.
Nice! It's great to see people remarking their planes again, so many different schemes.

This is getting me psyched to build a park size Fokker Dr I that's been sitting in my basement for a few years. As soon as I settle on the markings...
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Jan 22, 2014, 08:13 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,657 Posts
Use Jetset's plans
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2014
22 Posts
She flies!

Gents here it is. Today it flew. Had a couple problems to over come: First-my Any-Link seems to have soiled it's britches. Last week I crashed my Neuport. Blamed that on transmitter batteries. Today though I couldn't get the Albatros to work right. No throttle, rudder and elevator were combined, couldn't move the elevator independently. Trouble shooting shows it is probably the patch cord on the Any-Link. Second-Very little rudder throw. This seems to be my fault. The Stab and Rudder were separated for building. I then built, or tried to build, a FoamTack hinge. I looks nice, but is causing significant bind. I'll have to cut them apart again and put in some sort of decent looking, new hinge.
No flying shots as I was busy, but here are static shots right before maidening.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:06 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,136 Posts
Awesome!
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:20 PM
Joined Jan 2014
22 Posts
Thanks Blazing. It was fun to do. I'm hoping I can get it flying as well as a stock model, but even if I can't: it will be chalked up as a success!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 07:38 PM
Fly it like you're in it
Canada, ON, London
Joined Nov 2012
230 Posts
Beautiful! I had an issue with my Any-Link connector cord as well.
microlyn is offline Find More Posts by microlyn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Scaling your model
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
Well Kris the static shots look amazing anyway. I'm sure you'll get her flying right eventually. Can we see a close up of the artwork on the side of the fuselage?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2014
22 Posts
Bob,
Sorry about the delay. Been busy with birthdays and family. Here is the "Cock the Snook" insignia. It is printed on white sticker paper from Staples. I would love to have done actual decals, but I also wanted to experiment with cheap. $15 for 10 pages of sticker paper. It is pretty thin, matte and worked well. All in all, I'm satisfied.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:31 AM
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
That really looks amazing! I can't believe I missed this post and am just seeing it now. My Albatross is in pieces at the moment as I am swapping out the engine and brick for the engine and brick obtained from someone's smashed up Hobbyzone Champ. Hoping it will fly better with the extra p-power and my Spektrum transmitter will give me better control... I think someone else on this thread did the same thing but I have to find it among 51 pages of posts!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:15 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff Kris View Post
...Been busy with birthdays and family.
Any follow up to your beautiful Albatros? Any new models on your board?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01