Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by blackcamo
Joined Sep 2014
40 Posts
Discussion
Strange issue

Hi all.
I'm having a rather strange issue.
All was working fine on my 250 quad (well I have a rc range issue but it seems unrelated) but yesterday I suddenly experienced picture blackout. (mid flight, but as I was heading toward myself I've managed to recover)
What is strange: the screen went black but osd was still on so vtx did transmit. Then it all went away. After a while I plugged batt again and all was fine until first throttle punch, same thing happened - camera(I think) went off. Third time I didn't even managed to take off, a bit of throttle and the screen goes black. Camera is powered through vtx and this is cheap 200mW eachine vtx (ts200?). I'm running everything off 1500mah 45-90C nano-tech. Batteries are in very good condition and also I would see some voltage sag through osd. Any ideas guys?
blackcamo is offline Find More Posts by blackcamo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2015, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by waltr
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
7,210 Posts
Bad solder joint
Bad connector, crimp, etc.
Bad or damaged wire.

Start with close inspection and then replace piece by piece.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Jul 12, 2015, 04:07 AM
Joined Sep 2014
40 Posts
Thanks waltr, that is what I was thinking, but it doesn't happen when I shake the quad, but only on throttle up, so when amps go up it shuts down. It also seems strange that it happened mid flight, after many faultless sessions. I just can't find the logic behind it. I will strip it down anyway as that seems to be the only way to find out what's going on here
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by waltr
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
7,210 Posts
The Motors Draw a lot of current and a poor solder joint has a bit more resistance than it should. The high current draw then creates a Voltage drop (Ohm's Law). This may then drop the Voltage to below what the camera, vTX, etc needs.
Try without props so the motors do not draw as much current and therefore lower Voltage drops.

Could also be a Bad motor or ESC then is injecting huge amounts of noise into the power system or drawing much greater current than it should.
Oil the motor bearings in case it is bearing vibration or drag causing increased current draw.

These problems are tough to find. Divide and conquer is the best method to troubleshoot.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Jul 15, 2015, 06:37 PM
Joined Sep 2014
40 Posts
Found it! Poor solder joint on camera's crystal. Magnifying glass was the tool! Resoldered and problem is gone. Happy flier again.