New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2015, 02:14 AM
Find More Posts by riechsoldier1
United States, CT, Seymour
Joined Sep 2005
106 Posts
does this fly as good or better as the guan-li catalina?
riechsoldier1 is offline Find More Posts by riechsoldier1
Last edited by riechsoldier1; Aug 10, 2015 at 02:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by baddb1
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riechsoldier1 View Post
does this fly as good or better as the guan-li catalina?
I think they are very similar flyers but like the Canadair more so. Definitely worth the build!!

I just made mine into an FPV plane now. Flys great!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by drambuidhe
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I think they are very similar flyers but like the Canadair more so. Definitely worth the build!!

I just made mine into an FPV plane now. Flys great!
Nice! Look forward to some video's
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:44 AM
Aus
Find More Posts by Aus
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,344 Posts
Hi All,

Just picked up one of these on an impulse buy (under US$40) to get me over the US$150 to get the free shipping currently on offer at HK. I look forward to reading through this thread and receiving this model. I have a tendency towards sea planes (Slow Boat, Fun Cub, multiple Polaris (Polarii))
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
Old Aug 21, 2015, 09:06 PM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Hi All,

Just picked up one of these on an impulse buy (under US$40) to get me over the US$150 to get the free shipping currently on offer at HK. I look forward to reading through this thread and receiving this model. I have a tendency towards sea planes (Slow Boat, Fun Cub, multiple Polaris (Polarii))
Wow that's a great deal!! You'll love the Canadair cl415, it's a fun plane to fly!
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by race58
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
2,041 Posts
Anybody know where these kits are available? I can't seem to find anyone who has them, Those that carry them are OOS.
race58 is online now Find More Posts by race58
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by DaKluit
The Netherlands, UT, Utrecht
Joined Dec 2012
162 Posts
Well, they are in the Russian, European and the UK warehouse. But that probably won't help you, i guess.

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy...cl-415#catalog
DaKluit is online now Find More Posts by DaKluit
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by race58
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
2,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKluit View Post
Well, they are in the Russian, European and the UK warehouse. But that probably won't help you, i guess.

http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/buddy...cl-415#catalog
You are correct sir.
race58 is online now Find More Posts by race58
Old Today, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by lthibault
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
331 Posts
One more setup

I've decided to upgrade my CL-415. It flew nice but take-off were a bit slow.

For this upgrade (see pictures) I have used plywood and mouting stick, did spend some time to put Dubro 6-32 x 3/4'' socket head cap screws and blind nuts.

As you all know, blind nuts will often move back and cap screws, if not perfectly aligned, have a very annoying tendancy to get stock and brake the threads.

Since I know that I will need to replace the motors from time to time or add washers to adjust the thrust angle, my main effort was to carefully assemble two identical mounting plywood pieces with the blind nuts ''sandwiched'' in between with hot glue. I then epoxyed that part on the foam firewall and mounting stick. Protected the blind nut ends with masking tape.

Once the epoxy was dry I gently screwed the cap screws in and out several times and used vaseline to ease things. Believe me all that extra work really paid off later.

By the way I also use vaseline on the servos exposed to water and put silicone on my ESCs.

On the electronic front this is my new configuration.

Motors
ESCs
Prop1
Prop2

So with 160 watts of power per motor instead of 100, it should be plenty. Hoping to get this scooper off the water in 20 or less feet.

Will report back after some trials.
lthibault is online now Find More Posts by lthibault
Old Today, 02:34 PM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthibault View Post
I've decided to upgrade my CL-415. It flew nice but take-off were a bit slow.

For this upgrade (see pictures) I have used plywood and mouting stick, did spend some time to put Dubro 6-32 x 3/4'' socket head cap screws and blind nuts.

As you all know, blind nuts will often move back and cap screws, if not perfectly aligned, have a very annoying tendancy to get stock and brake the threads.

Since I know that I will need to replace the motors from time to time or add washers to adjust the thrust angle, my main effort was to carefully assemble two identical mounting plywood pieces with the blind nuts ''sandwiched'' in between with hot glue. I then epoxyed that part on the foam firewall and mounting stick. Protected the blind nut ends with masking tape.

Once the epoxy was dry I gently screwed the cap screws in and out several times and used vaseline to ease things. Believe me all that extra work really paid off later.

By the way I also use vaseline on the servos exposed to water and put silicone on my ESCs.

On the electronic front this is my new configuration.

Motors
ESCs
Prop1
Prop2

So with 160 watts of power per motor instead of 100, it should be plenty. Hoping to get this scooper off the water in 20 or less feet.

Will report back after some trials.
Looks good! That should work just fine with that much power.
I had to go with the 2830-11 (1000KV) running at 4S (210 watts)to get mine in the air quick with all my FPV gear and a 4000mah battery in it!
Takes off in about 10 to 15 feet!
Old Today, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by Griphin
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Looks good! That should work just fine with that much power.
I had to go with the 2830-11 (1000KV) running at 4S (210 watts)to get mine in the air quick with all my FPV gear and a 4000mah battery in it!
Takes off in about 10 to 15 feet!
Where do you put the camera for FPV? I've been considering doing so open surgery to my Canadair and put in FPV as it's really starting to look beaten up anyway.
Griphin is online now Find More Posts by Griphin