HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2014, 03:42 PM
Canada, SK, Division No. 7
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Discussion
Will a Super Cub slope soar?

A friend gave me his old badly battered Super Cub in the hopes that I could rob servos to add another channel to my sailplane. Unfortunately they are 5-wire and won't work. The fuselage was broken in half, but some Gorilla glue quickly reattached the pieces into a reasonable representation of an aircraft.

It has a 27MHz radio and the throttle is burned out in the receiver. However, both rudder and elevator still function fine. It's not much use but...

I am pretty tempted to put it all back together, add a 2s lipo and chuck it off a hill. I have a cliff on my property where the wind often blows steady 20-30mph and feels like it blows straight up... Never tried slope soaring but I am willing to risk this free and battered plane
So will this thing stay up or is it a waste of time fixing it?
rectifier is offline Find More Posts by rectifier
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2014, 03:56 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Anything will slope with enough wind. That said its going to be very draggy and slow. And if it doest have ailerons it might not be maneuverable enough (suitable gliders can fly on the slope with just rudder and elevator but I'm not so sure about a Cub)

If you've got a nice slope you owe it to yourself to get a real sloper.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 10, 2014, 04:33 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
What Brett said
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Sep 10, 2014, 04:51 PM
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Ok, I will slap it together and give it a try, but I will be ready for disappointment if it turns out to be lame

I am also tempted to transplant the electronics and servos and make a homemade foamy or coroplast sloper. Unfortunately most look like deltas, and with no mixing in the crappy transmitter I would need to go with a standard fuselage (I think).

I just can't stand to throw away functioning parts even if their value is only like $10 these days! Comes with being Canadian and having to pay and wait for anything to be shipped, I think...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 05:31 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,248 Posts
Well - something like that worked for SpeedsterDen !

HK Bushmaster as Slopemaster. (1 min 52 sec)

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:44 PM
SoCal
Joined May 2006
192 Posts
"If you've got a nice slope you owe it to yourself to get a real sloper."

Nuff said.

Ron in SoCal
rrunyan is offline Find More Posts by rrunyan
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:56 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,726 Posts
With a little work, you can modify it into a scale "Cub" glider, the Piper TG-8.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:48 PM
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
That TG-8 is really neat! Also solves the problem of wanting to ditch the motor without messing up the CG and/or having an ugly flat nose.

In some initial testing tossing it dead off a 5' hill into the wheat, the original CG of the Cub results in lawn dart behaviour, no matter how much up elevator is applied. However, pulling the battery (3s standing in for old nicads long discarded) resulted in floaty 30' glides at level trim. Does a glider require a different CG from a powered plane?
My 800mm Fox sailplane/hotliner seems to have a standard CG (1/3 of wing),same as the powered Cub, and it glides very well, if fast.

I don't know if my slope is good yet, never flown a sloper! I am scared to fly the light Fox in such powerful wind... so this will be a way for me to give it a go!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:51 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
The CG shouldn't be awfully different between powered and unpowered. Given that it's a Cub, I'd assume that that 1/3 of the way back from the LE should be about right for either configuration.

Maybe it was nose heavy to begin with, though.

Quote:
My 800mm Fox sailplane/hotliner seems to have a standard CG (1/3 of wing),same as the powered Cub, and it glides very well, if fast.
Er...why don't you just use that then?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:52 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor View Post
Well - something like that worked for SpeedsterDen !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMMHoAazoxU

Phil.
He's at least got ailerons though.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:08 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
800 Posts
Google Fun Cub Slope and you can find some videos such as this.
MPX Funcup sloping (1 min 55 sec)
Mine slopes about like that.
jcarstan is offline Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:00 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
only drama he has is his is R/E only so wont turn very well
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Quote:
Er...why don't you just use that then?
I guess the point isn't so much building a great sloper as trying to get the old Cub in the air with no motor.
Why? Well why not? That's why they call it a hobby right

I might have to crank the throws way up on the R/E to get it to turn, I'm starting with it set up stock though. Right now I'm trying to adapt my 2s onto the old receiver, maybe I can power it through the X-port connector if I'm lucky. The plug happens to fit right on, just have to check pinout
Old Sep 11, 2014, 03:53 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,379 Posts
Yup, it's a hobby fur sure.
As noted, usually don't fly well but can still be fun.
I had a BARF given to me or bought dirt cheap of a powered Super Chipmunk.
Like this one;
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gpma1928.html
Flew ok, looked nice and was fun. Yet just didn't survive "Another bites the Bluff" much.

Enjoy

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
29 Posts
Got the battery in and chucked the Cub down a big hill today, near zero wind. Glides OK for a non-glider, good elevator response but as you all said, almost zero steering from the rudder even with the horn set for full throw. But then it is flying awful close to stall speed. Hope to try it out in the wind soon!

I also have some spare foam board that is just about the right size to extend the cockpit for the TG-8 nose, with that and some silver paint it should be a fun salvage of a junk plane.