HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:52 PM
Good to be flying again!
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Discussion
When would be a good time to go to weldon to watch?

Howdy I was wondering from the guys up in the Weldon CA area when would be good time to come up and watch while people are flying your spot. I live right down here in Bakersfield CA and have nothing but time on my hands being dissabled so I can show up any time.
I would be interested in speaking with someone about breaking into DS. I would deff be interested in speaking with someone local that is producing thier own kits or models as I would like to help support the local crews.
With that if youll msg me Ill be more than happy to give you my phone # so we can talk. I would be happy to hear fom anyone tha tflies up thier regularly. It does not matter if you are not the fastest or largest or anything like that at all. I have watched a ton of vids from many diff pilots and I would be happy speaking with anyone of them. I didnt want to msg anyone in particular as I wanted to cast a wide net for anyone who is into showing people who want to learn thier toys and I use that term lightly!
Gordon Cheek
MookieStick is offline Find More Posts by MookieStick
Last edited by MookieStick; Oct 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: forgot to put state i am in
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2013, 09:36 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,642 Posts
Hi Mookie,
Most of us DSers are flakes, we go when and where the wind blows us.
There are several good guys from your area that come out to fly and hopefully they will chime in on this thread.
I'm planning on being down for Thanksgiving week. If you're still interested in coming out, I will send you a PM with my ph number and let you know when I will be on the hill.
I don't really recommend coming out for the first time on a big wind day. It's usually a little more casual and less stressful on a mild day, as you can imagine.
Stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Oct 18, 2013, 09:11 PM
Get your build on!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,771 Posts
Keep an eye on the forum. If a big wind day is forecast you will see the chatter and know to go and check it out.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:18 PM
Good to be flying again!
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am grateful. I am probably going to buy a kit that will let me get the hangof flying in high wind envioronments. Most of the slope gear i've used in the past I would be chasing downwind up there! It is painfully obvious that you need to learn this slowly or this will get expensive quickly. For me I think I iwll take a solid month to learn the plane rather than just diving in and turning left on my first day. At these costs it really seems patience is required.
Looks like I will be going with one of Joe Manors kits.
I have also Rock hounded everywhere in kern county for years. I think this is going to give me a leg up on finding diff places to fly fast.
Gordon
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:45 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
As much as I would like to sell a model you might consider getting a JW or something similar (high performance foamie) to try it out first. Your choice. If your an experienced pilot you shouldn't have much trouble starting out with a mouldie. I flew my first laps ever with my first mouldie purchased just for the idea of trying it. I have been flying them ever since but sometimes a good foamie is nice to have. Good luck with whichever route you choose.

Joe
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:21 AM
Good to be flying again!
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
As much as I would like to sell a model you might consider getting a JW or something similar (high performance foamie) to try it out first. Your choice.

Joe
I cant thank the whole glider community enough! I just looked at the JW's and will be ordering a couple tomarrow. Plus ,nothing like honesty and chacrecter to secure future orders
With that lets just consider this thread dead. I hvae accomplished what I needed to know. Much apreciated!
Gordon
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieStick View Post
Howdy I was wondering from the guys up in the Weldon CA area when would be good time to come up and watch while people are flying your spot. I live right down here in Bakersfield CA and have nothing but time on my hands being dissabled so I can show up any time.
I would be interested in speaking with someone about breaking into DS. I would deff be interested in speaking with someone local that is producing thier own kits or models as I would like to help support the local crews.
With that if youll msg me Ill be more than happy to give you my phone # so we can talk. I would be happy to hear fom anyone tha tflies up thier regularly. It does not matter if you are not the fastest or largest or anything like that at all. I have watched a ton of vids from many diff pilots and I would be happy speaking with anyone of them. I didnt want to msg anyone in particular as I wanted to cast a wide net for anyone who is into showing people who want to learn thier toys and I use that term lightly!
Gordon Cheek
.....I love reading posts like this

aDSj
criterium1 is offline Find More Posts by criterium1
Old Oct 19, 2013, 05:11 PM
Good to be flying again!
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
I have asked to have this thread be deleated. Please accept my appology for the question.
Last edited by MookieStick; Oct 19, 2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: because I wanted to
Old Oct 19, 2013, 07:31 PM
Australia, NT, Nhulunbuy
Joined Dec 2010
78 Posts
What ??!! did someone take offense or or something ?
hellmansam is offline Find More Posts by hellmansam
Old Oct 20, 2013, 01:04 AM
Good to be flying again!
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
It was just me. I have been sick lately and have had two meals in the lsat week. I took a comment wrong when I generaly won't do that.I just didnt know if someone was poking fun at me or my question. I guess feeling crappy does give me thin skin?
I have decided on D60 or at least Joe helped there
Once again sorry if I came across wrong.
Gordon
Old Oct 20, 2013, 01:44 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Hi Gordon, I wish you well with your start in DS

There are a LOT of great guys over your way. I was lucky to meet and spend time woth them last year
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member