HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, AL, Arab
Joined Jun 2007
11 Posts
Help!
need help resizeing plans

i want to take a set of plans and resize them they are for a 63" wing plane and i want to resize them to 47" how can i find the % to shrink it ????
rcmadog is offline Find More Posts by rcmadog
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,200 Posts
um, using math might help, you never know.

47/63= .746 which means 74.6% so I'd round up to 75%
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
Look at that rcmadog, you got your answer and a nice insult (oxymoron?) to go with it. You know the old saying, with friends like that...
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:32 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,770 Posts
Or more generally :

Percentage to resize = (New size / Old size) x 100

Of course the more interesting part after you have the resized plan is sorting out what materials to use because they don't always resize so directly.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,164 Posts
Penalty-unnecessary roughness.

Whoa !-you are the epitome of what NOT to do when someone asks for help !

If you think you're funny-you're not......if you're bored,or the king of builders,you shouldn't be wasting your time here.tame it down.

The man asked a question,and deserves a much better answer than that. The answer was good -the delivery was not in good taste.IMHO.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Nov 30, 2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: tame it down
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,770 Posts
Since your reply immediately follows mine I have to assume you are talking to me, epoxyearl. In which case you know what you can do with your ignorant rudeness.

And I notice you offered no assistance, just criticism, which I'd suggest makes you the epitome of how not to be helpful !

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
You could take them to a copier place (Kinkos) and have them reduce. Keep in mind that if there are "sticks" involved (for the spars for example) you will need to manually re-size accordingly as they won't scale to available lumber or they may not be sized right strength wise. Just use different sized wood when building, no need to re-draw the plans. Will also have adjust the notches in the ribs and such. Not really a big deal though as I do my final sizing on the wood anyway to match the stick stock I have on hand as opposed to going strictly by the plans
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,164 Posts
Slipstick-wasn't talkin'to you.At one time I vowed to keep this civil,and Curare's answer didn't seem to be all that.
I can't sit back and watch someone be rude because he thinks it's a stupid question.
A man asks an honest question,he deserves a fair answer,with out being disdained..
Your answer and mine are nearly identical-no sense in repeating you.
I invite you to read my posts,any of them,and find one that treats anyone with disrespect.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,027 Posts
epoxyearl. So tell me how your post helped the original poster......
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, AL, Arab
Joined Jun 2007
11 Posts
LOL thanks guys that what i needed the math i didnt know how to do the math thanks agine
rcmadog is offline Find More Posts by rcmadog
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Slipstick-wasn't talkin'to you.At one time I vowed to keep this civil,and Curare's answer didn't seem to be all that.
I can't sit back and watch someone be rude because he thinks it's a stupid question.
A man asks an honest question,he deserves a fair answer,with out being disdained..
Your answer and mine are nearly identical-no sense in repeating you.
I invite you to read my posts,any of them,and find one that treats anyone with disrespect.
There is no disdain, I have a dry sense of humour, and my methodology is correct.

In future I think I'll keep my answers to myself, as I obviously seem offend people who the post isn't even aimed at.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,164 Posts
Curare-I appreciate the explanation..I did not know you are a 'dry' wit.
I read your answer as a bit rude,and now that I reread it with an eye toward that, I can see it.
It's kind of like saying-"Dr.,it hurts when I do this !',and the Dr. slapping you upside the head,and saying "well-don't DO that !"
PLease don't be offended by my remarks.Earl.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Curare-I appreciate the explanation..I did not know you are a 'dry' wit.
I read your answer as a bit rude,and now that I reread it with an eye toward that, I can see it.
It's kind of like saying-"Dr.,it hurts when I do this !',and the Dr. slapping you upside the head,and saying "well-don't DO that !"
PLease don't be offended by my remarks.Earl.
Wouldn't you know it, thats one of my favourite sayings

No harm, no foul. In future I'll try to put a bit more of a lid on my ascerbic wit. Sometimes we forget that our words can be taken in more than one way.

So if something I say offends you in future, I didn't mean it like that, I meant the other meaning!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:16 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,200 Posts
Acutally, Back to the OP, be careful about reducing or enlarging plans too much, Unless the desginer is a complete dolt, the structure has been optimised for ease of building and lightness/strength.

When you enlarge or reduce plans too much you start to get goofy looking structures. imagine a 18" span model increased to 60" and you'll have maybe 6 ribs, 12 inches apart. Not great. Conversely, if you shink a 60" plan to 18" you'll have a million ribs half an inch apart, We're only talking ribs as it's a good example but the same thing applies to the whole plane. 75% is probably at the limit (at least in my mind) of how far you could reduce the plan without making significant structural changes.

Just out of interest, what's the plan?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,164 Posts
Re report #13

Curare-please don't curb your sense of humor....we can enjoy it for what it is.

Maybe this morning, I could have used a good laugh...
rcmadog-
I have plans enlarged,mostly,and one of the problems is not seeing the forest for the trees.......If an enlargement/reduction results in non-standard size wood,almost always,a standard size can be substituted...=If a piece measures 13/64,you can still use 1/4 " stock..All dimensions are not that super critical,depending on what you're building.
You're allowed to fudge on some dimensions ,and it'll be fine.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM.