HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:18 PM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Afternoon Speed Run 10-12-2012

Okay,

A few neat High Resolution Pictures while on the Water!!! Notice the Garmin on top side!

















TOP SPEED WAS RECORDED AS: 6.8 MPH



Coast Guard Rescue RC Ship model Afternoon Speed Run using GD-600 Gearbox (2 min 20 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
52 Posts
I wish there was a lake or pond with easy access around here. You seem to have it good over there. How did the GPS get up on deck? No signal in the hull I presume.
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:34 PM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
I wish there was a lake or pond with easy access around here. You seem to have it good over there. How did the GPS get up on deck? No signal in the hull I presume.
You are welcomed to join me over here and we can make it a FULL Day of Fun!

With regard to the GPS, I just wanted the decks below to be covered and looking scale like. The GPS looked like a Utility Gas Tank from afar!

Can not complain about almost 7 MPH top speed and nothing over 15 AMPs
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:14 AM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
Hey can you post a picture or two of the stern showing the prop and rudder as well as your water pick up are mounted for the motor cooling? I saw the pick you posted earlier in the thread but I am looking for more of a close up.
Here you go.....









PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:49 AM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Changed out Power System!!!

During the early years of learning RC Airplane Hobby, I was introduced to the Kyosho Monster Modified Motors (Brushed) by our local Gary Hart who is an excellent 3D RC Flyer and designer of the E3D in various forms and sizes. He was the one of several who started using the Kyosho Monster Modified Motors (traditionally RC Car / Truck / Buggy power system) and introduced them into RC Airplanes.

One specific Motor is the Kyosho Endoplasma 16-Turn, Double wind, such that has the largest commutator and Magnet area of the 550 motors in it's time. There are a few many threads that discusses this motor and I have not had an opportunity if anyone ever used it in Marine Applications but, I am certainly going to try!

VIDEO RESULTS: (Bath Tub Run)

355 Watts @ 31-AMPs {Mush more RPMs than before!!!}

A few pictures of the retrofit from the old original motor that after careful examination, I noticed it "is" a MABUCHI 550 (3R) Type of Brushed motor according to the End Bell molded Plastic that says so.

Comparison Picture of the two motors:




Here is a picture showing two (2) Endoplasma 16-Turn's and the one I am using had it's Label Taken Off for more effective Marina Coil Forced Cooling.



Motor and Gearbox Spur Gear Mess Adjustments:






Motor Installed and Mounted up into the Electrifly GD-600 Gearbox:



Stotchy Diode Blew Up on Commanding the Power System in Reverse!


New Intake Water Tubing Installed since the old one had an Ugly Bent!!!



VIDEO *** VIDEO *** VIDEO
Coast Guard Rescue RC Ship using Kyosho Endoplasma 16T and Electrifly GD 600 Gearbox 10 13 2012 (7 min 3 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:14 AM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Presently Packing up to go for Lake Side Action at my RC Club and taking my Garmin Geko 201 for some Speed Runs. All I know is I replaced the 4-Cyinder to an 8-Cyinder Engine in comparison Watt Power and I am here are my calculations:


MABUCHI RS-550 (1634 RPMs / Volt) divided by 2.5 (Gearbox Ratio) = 653.6 RPMs/VOLT; Thereby, lets say 10-VOLTs X 653.6 = 6,536 RPMs (Dry Land)

Kyosho Endoplasma 16-Turn (3785 RPMs / VOLT) divided by 2.5 (Gearbox Ratio) = 1514 RPMs/VOLT; Thereby, at 10-VOLTs X 1514 = 15,140 RPMs (Dry Land)

If I get to 6,000 RPMs in Water I will be very happy!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Registered User
charlie eaton's Avatar
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,112 Posts
Make sure to get a video of it. Just remember that the real boat did approx 22 knots and did not come up on plane. It rode like a downeast lobster boat and was patterned after them.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
52 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures I requested. They will help me with a project I am working on.
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie eaton View Post
Make sure to get a video of it. Just remember that the real boat did approx 22 knots and did not come up on plane. It rode like a downeast lobster boat and was patterned after them.
Hi Charlie!

Thanks for visiting and posting on this super entertaining Project as recall that this is my 2nd RC Boat Project (Already Built) and trying out various Power Systems to note the best mix of scale and fun.

I am presently uploading the Video so, lets start with some pictures

Setup:


At 12.8 MPH, it is lots of FUN!!!










VIDEO *** VIDEO **** VIDEO *****

Coast Guard Rescue RC Ship with Kyosho Endoplasma 16T Power 10-14-2012 (1 min 1 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 14, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Changed Gearbox Ratio from 2.5 to 3.0 !!

Guys,

Came home and changed out the Gearbox Ratio from 2.5:1 to 3.0:1 for a better AMP draw at the cost of slightly some speed. I am very pleased on the manner in which the Coast Guard Rescue RC Ship Model runs and I am estimating that it will be right at 12 MPH with the new Gearbox Ratio.





First, a little clean-up job on the Kyosho Endoplasma, now that we all know it works and does so with flying colors!







Complete!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:39 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
52 Posts
Nice video. The speed looks good. Obviously faster than scale but not ridiculous. I would call it "just right" It's good to have the extra power when you need it.

That hull its pretty long relative to it's width which makes me wonder if you need those trim tabs set so steeply. The hull has a nice attitude at speed but the tabs are digging a deep trough in the water as is evident in the "forced water cooling exit" photo. At some point you might want to ask your friend Tony about them and or do some experimenting of your own.
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
52 Posts
Seeing that you changed the gear ratio I still think it will look "just right" lol. Based on your data I do think the 3:1 swap is the over all better choice
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
Seeing that you changed the gear ratio I still think it will look "just right" lol. Based on your data I do think the 3:1 swap is the over all better choice
I am aiming for nothing over 25 - 27 AMPs at Full Throttle. I hope it is more like 24 - 26 AMPs tops. We shall see....

I am all tired out as I had to get on the Row Boat and Row my life away because of too windy conditions!!! The first time I placed the model on water, I did not check to see if the motor will run and I launched the model and it just sat there....drifting pretty fast away from us towards the West and the very unfriendly side of the Lake so, I got on the Row Boat and it was quite a work-out to say the least! The little model was drifting pretty fast without any power!

The second (2nd) time the COLD SOLDER JOINT caused the model to drift once more and again, I had to hop in the Row Boat and row!!! My arms are very sore and my back! I perhaps lost 10lbs. of body fat!!

Well, as you saw in the pictures, I re-soldered all motor connections such that there will be no more COLD SOLDER Joints and made sure all other connectors were okay.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
Nice video. The speed looks good. Obviously faster than scale but not ridiculous. I would call it "just right" It's good to have the extra power when you need it.

That hull its pretty long relative to it's width which makes me wonder if you need those trim tabs set so steeply. The hull has a nice attitude at speed but the tabs are digging a deep trough in the water as is evident in the "forced water cooling exit" photo. At some point you might want to ask your friend Tony about them and or do some experimenting of your own.
Tony has told me many times to take OFF those Trim Tabs! He installed them because he had Brushless Power on the model before I took ownership. However, I just like the looks of those Trim Tabs.

Tony tells me that if I remove them the Bow will raise UP higher..
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
I am all tired out as I had to get on the Row Boat and Row my life away because of too windy conditions!!! The first time I placed the model on water, I did not check to see if the motor will run and I launched the model and it just sat there....drifting pretty fast away from us towards the West and the very unfriendly side of the Lake so, I got on the Row Boat and it was quite a work-out to say the least! The little model was drifting pretty fast without any power!

The second (2nd) time the COLD SOLDER JOINT caused the model to drift once more and again, I had to hop in the Row Boat and row!!! My arms are very sore and my back! I perhaps lost 10lbs. of body fat!!

Well, as you saw in the pictures, I re-soldered all motor connections such that there will be no more COLD SOLDER Joints and made sure all other connectors were okay.

Again, the Results are 12.7 MPH Top Speed with 31-AMPs @ 355 Watts!!!



Coast Guard Rescure RC Ship Model @ Moon Port Modelers 10-14-2012 (0 min 43 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Swift Coast Guard thread Greybird Large Electric Helis 55 Apr 19, 2012 07:40 AM
Wanted Coast guard rescue boat Maritime21 Boats (FS/W) 2 Feb 04, 2012 02:52 PM
Discussion Props for proboat Coast Guard rescue hotrodder Dock Talk 0 May 18, 2011 06:15 PM
Discussion 30 foot Coast Guard Surf Rescue Boat jrw52 Scale Boats 3 Dec 07, 2006 06:20 PM
Anybody scratch building Coast Guard ships? splatman Scale Boats 5 Sep 11, 2004 11:55 PM