SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
battery question

I am trying to restore a villian IV boat back to runnig condition.... It came with three NiCd battery packs and no charger, so I am looking for a charger and probably batteries since I don't know if these NiCd battery packs are still good.

My question is - what should i look for? there are 6 cells in the battery pack, each are 1.2 v and 1300 mAh. Do I add the volt and mAh, which would be 7.2 v and 7800 mAh?

Thanks for any advice... I am trying to keep cost down until I get more familiar with the hobby. I posted on the Traxxas forum, but got no response.

Appreciate any help.
aquilaone is offline Find More Posts by aquilaone
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:17 AM
Chuck
Arizona
Joined Jan 2008
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquilaone View Post
I am trying to restore a villian IV boat back to runnig condition.... It came with three NiCd battery packs and no charger, so I am looking for a charger and probably batteries since I don't know if these NiCd battery packs are still good.

My question is - what should i look for? there are 6 cells in the battery pack, each are 1.2 v and 1300 mAh. Do I add the volt and mAh, which would be 7.2 v and 7800 mAh?

Thanks for any advice... I am trying to keep cost down until I get more familiar with the hobby. I posted on the Traxxas forum, but got no response.

Appreciate any help.
The six 1.2 volt cells in each pack are connected in series, so each pack delivers 7.2 volts. Since they are in series the amp-hour capacity is limited to that of a single cell, i.e., 1300 mAh. If you connect two battery packs in parallel you wll have 7.2 volts with a combined amp-hour capacity of 2600 mAh.
fredspak is offline Find More Posts by fredspak
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
I would think any rc car 6 cell pack would be a drop in replacement. The higher the mah rating the longer the run time. 3000 to 4000mah packs are common. A 7 cell pack will give you a bit more speed, but you must make sure the speed controller can handle the extra voltage. Most likely it can, but check first.
If you are buying a new charger, look for a peak charger, not the crank timer style. Nicad and nimh packs are almost interchangable as all the newer chargers will charge both. If you get a vintage charger from E-Bay make sure it can charge both chemistries.
Since the old packs are only 1300mah even new they wouldn't have a long run time, but still may function. I have packs that are very old and still work (kind of).
Do you have pics that you can post of the running gear? And some model numbers of the speed control? That would be helpful.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Watch the heat!

I have a Villain IV that I run with my son pretty regularly. It is stock with the exception of water cooling which was nice to have back when bettery capacities topped out around 1800mAH but is absolutely critical with the new high capacity NiMH batteries and the longer run times they provide. I think there were at least to revisions of the Villain IV with the last one having a big red XL1 speed control and two large finned aluminum heat sinks, it was designed for up to 2 x 8.4 volt (7 cell) packs run in parallel (14cells , 8.4 volts).

This year I have been running with 2 5100mAH NiMH packs and was forced to drill and mount brass watercooling tubes in the ESC heat sinks in addition to the motor cooling lines because the temps were through the roof (instant sizzle with water drops) and in a couple places the wires melted the plastic of the inner hull.

That being said, the boat should run fine on either 6 or 7 cell packs, just watch the temps with the extended run times offered by modern packs.

Also like the others have said, make sure to find a peak charger as opposed to one with a crank timer.
mhaupert is offline Find More Posts by mhaupert