2,955 Posts
Welcome, Aeronca.-----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,275 Posts
Details Details

Had a bunch of GWS wheels from several planes. So I put on wheels. They just happen to look very scale like. The AC-130 does have the nose wheel much farther back. Fill & slot for a farther back. The rear wheels will need slight grinding away of the ends of the wheel wells. Good DIY plane.
I am working with a slope kit. It is using up a lot of spare parts from other kits. Should still be under 20 oz RTF.
What the heck. Do the steering nose wheel in the new location. Have the plastic & metal parts.
Worst case the plane will still be a 20 oz with about 20 oz of thrust. First plane with about 1 to 1 on thrust and steering. Does the plane steer well or do the 4 fixed main wheels cause turning problems ?

Rich
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Last edited by cyclops2; Jan 23, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,275 Posts
Airleron servo

Used 2 Sullivan .032" Golden flex push rods for equal action & hopefully lighter set up.
Time to put in those pre wired Hyperion 12 mm & gearboxes.
Did drill out the bottom of the foam engine housings to get motor air flow thru.

Rich
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,275 Posts
Rudder & elevator time.

2 more Sullivan .032" Goldies arrived.
I will try & do my usual, put all servo, rods, wiring, ESCs, battery and anything else, attached to 1 of the sides of the plane. It allows easier COG findings & a full electrical checkout of everything before closing up.
Normally I just put a couple of RTV Silicone dots around the body seam for COG testing with power. I have had a couple of bad GWS COG solo flights. LOVE 2 foot deep grass.

I hand toss at 2' above the grass with no props.

What was the best COGs on a no power glide ?

Rich
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:25 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Had a bunch of GWS wheels from several planes. So I put on wheels. They just happen to look very scale like. The AC-130 does have the nose wheel much farther back. Fill & slot for a farther back. The rear wheels will need slight grinding away of the ends of the wheel wells. Good DIY plane.
I am working with a slope kit. It is using up a lot of spare parts from other kits. Should still be under 20 oz RTF.
What the heck. Do the steering nose wheel in the new location. Have the plastic & metal parts.
Worst case the plane will still be a 20 oz with about 20 oz of thrust. First plane with about 1 to 1 on thrust and steering. Does the plane steer well or do the 4 fixed main wheels cause turning problems ?

Rich
I think you'll be just fine with the steerable nose wheel. Mine steers and retracts! Also, it steers on the ground just fine, the 4 wheel bogey doesn't seem to give any problems
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
2 more Sullivan .032" Goldies arrived.
I will try & do my usual, put all servo, rods, wiring, ESCs, battery and anything else, attached to 1 of the sides of the plane. It allows easier COG findings & a full electrical checkout of everything before closing up.
Normally I just put a couple of RTV Silicone dots around the body seam for COG testing with power. I have had a couple of bad GWS COG solo flights. LOVE 2 foot deep grass.

I hand toss at 2' above the grass with no props.

What was the best COGs on a no power glide ?

Rich
I have never found a GWS plane that flew right with the CofG where GWS said it should be. Every single one flew tail heavy if built in accordance with the instructions, so I've taken to moving it forwards as a matter of course. Remember, a nose heavy plane flies badly, a tail heavy plane flies once!!!
The CofG on both my Cargotranses is at 50mm from leading edge, right in the middle of the spar/wiring groove. They fly very predictably like this, and my C-130K (shorty) even takes a small plastic soldier with parachute in the back, to drop out of the opening ramp.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:47 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
What is the wingspan on that plane, Davey?

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Mar 2010
187 Posts
I am starting a build on a 109, I want to glass it from the start, but I am having a tough time finding .75 in a quantity large enough to do the bird. Anyone out there got any suggestions?
tarheal63 is online now Find More Posts by tarheal63
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:15 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I would not glass it - you are just going to add weight and the lighter they are the better they fly. If anything, just glass the ailerons to stiffen them up a bit

Wolfe
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
What is the wingspan on that plane, Davey?

Wolfe
The wingspan on the Cargotrans is 1120mm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
I would not glass it - you are just going to add weight and the lighter they are the better they fly. If anything, just glass the ailerons to stiffen them up a bit

Wolfe
I agree, I've never glassed a GWS plane, and wouldn't in the future. You will have to add loads of ballast up front to get the CofG in limits, and it will never fly slowly.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Pretty good sized airplane, then

Wolfe
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Pretty good sized airplane, then

Wolfe
Yeah, I love them to bits. My stretched one looks even bigger too. It was more difficult than I imagined to make the fuselage plugs line up perfectly. I didn't want to end up with a big banana shaped Hercules!