I prefer the lander, but you can't argue with the price of the MB1
SMorrisRC is online now Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,057 Posts
I fly mine on the stock 4ss set up and like it just fine.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:17 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
my power system i s the new DPS 4s 68mm with my custom made thrust tube.
it sounds great.. It moves real nice (not the fastest jet I have but it's fairly fast)
I have my timer set on 5 minutes with my 4000mah 4s 45-90c nano techs or the same but 25-50c pack and depending on my flying I spend 2000-3000mah and I'm always on the safe side... I once made 3 approaches to manage to land but still my flyin was not with high speed passes and only spent 3100mah inthe end
I'm sure I can get 7 minute flights and be on the safe side with these packs. they also balance with the planes what should be c of g just fine when pushed all the way forward.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 03, 2011, 04:39 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
after I melted a mount I used my Sapac MB-1 on a alloy EDF from RC Lander and a rotor from HET 6904... 65C battery 5S Paks from Xtreme Pwer Systems. VERY FAST combo.
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
i dont really want my panther to be my fast jet.
ive got a meteor waiting in the box. And a 2330watt setup for it
I also got an 108mph f16 50mm edf
Currently building a flyfly mb339 with a het setup on 8s that can also do 10s

I keep my panther for longer flight times and scale flying. I consider high power setups a waste on this airframe.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:18 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
838 Posts
Someone was trying to tell me something today (two things actually), but I just wan't listening. Dont fly today and Buy cheap, be careful!

Went to patch @ 1100 to watch an hour of rain ops: Had a nice quiet lunch though :lol:

Returned @ 1400 and it was nice weather for flying.

Nobody there so took the Hawk from the car. Stripped flippin servo (cheapo HXT500). Glad I check controls before lobbing.

So, all I had with me was the Panther. Decided to "grow some" and self launch it in the absence of anyone else. No problems there.

After a couple of mins of flying had a puff of smoke, so came round for a landing. Had full control (including motor) until last turn, when it twisted in with no control (motor had cut).

Plane only in two bits, but not sure I can be bothered to add any more glue.

Cut the ESC heat shrink off and found this:

One of the caps had de-soldered itself.

I was pulling 124A on a 150A Turbojet ESC. There was a separate BEC (which is still working) - I have yet to test the RX.

I thought the solder had melted the RX wires on the ESC, hence knocking the RX out , but having peeled the solder off, the 3 wires are intact. Cant explain the RX failure.

Clearly the ESC was getting hot and the fan I installed didn't do the job.

I'm now wondering about the integrity of the 190A Hobby King ESC I have here to replace it......that has 50+% headroom on the 125A, but do I trust it?

Are there any reliable ESC's out there that would suit my pocket?
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:28 AM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post

I'm now wondering about the integrity of the 190A Hobby King ESC I have here to replace it......that has 50+% headroom on the 125A, but do I trust it?

Are there any reliable ESC's out there that would suit my pocket?
Count the fets, check the wire gauges, and compare with realistically rated brands of ESCs. The discrepancy in rating based on those realistic parameters has been over 50%, from the few HK ESCs I've looked at.
B
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:17 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
590 Posts
Why in the world would you want a 124Amp setup for this jet - that's crazy! That would be one incredibly short flight time regardless of battery.

A 6s setup with a good fan is in the 40s.

No disrespect at all, just don't understand the reasoning.
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Jun 2005
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher39 View Post
Why in the world would you want a 124Amp setup for this jet - that's crazy! That would be one incredibly short flight time regardless of battery.

A 6s setup with a good fan is in the 40s.

No disrespect at all, just don't understand the reasoning.
lol, no problem....

I like to keep to 3 or 4S. Accepted that 6S is divisible by 3S, but that halves my packs.

I don't mind about longevity of flight, subject to being >2 mins if it rips the sky up.

A 1W30 motor on a 6904 fan is a wicked setup. 124A is a peak, 109A typical I think. That's not too crazy - people fly the Lander on 3S/800W dont they?

Anyhow, to answer the question - lipo rationing.........there's a logic there, honest. Logic to me anyway.......

Panther back in one piece after an hour or so on the dining table.

HK ESC gets an appalling review, but given the airframe has just about survived, I might give it a go.......unless there is a no-brainer ESC for <$50
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
impailer.
again.. let's hope you understand it this time.. why don' tu install this setup on a faster airframe?
this is NOT A FAST PLANE.
by any means..
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:42 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
590 Posts
good point Pavcon!
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:12 AM
Joined Jun 2005
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher39 View Post
good point Pavcon!
Not sure the airframe has anything to do with the ESC failure chaps, which was the main thrust of my post (no pun intended).

Its a good setup, which I accept is better for faster airframes, but nothing wrong with it in the Panther - its a good bit of fun...and a damned bit quicker than the Lander fan/motor on 4s. I was just let down by a cheap ESC.

I agree it is over-amped, but that doesn't make it wrong in my books. If I could find a cheap 1200W setup, I reckon that would be perfect.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:53 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Electric Landing Gear

I am looking for good quality electric landing gear that will fit into the existing retract locations without too much modification. Where is a good place to start? I checked the EJF and Park Flyers websites and see that they offer a standard electircal retract set from RC Lander, but does anyone know if these are actually a good fit for the Panther?

When connecting electrical retracts, do I just use a 3-way splitter and plug that into the Gear spot on my receiver, or is there more to it than that? Also, does the front wheel turn with rudder control, using the electrical retracts?
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:04 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
I used the RClander retracts..got them from EJF. I think I posted pics way back on this thread..couldn't tell you where though. some modification is needed. The nose gear is steerable.. I'll look for the pics on my other PC and re-post later...

EDIT: Check post # 3651 on page 244 of this thread for pic of my insallation...papajeff also installed RClander electrics in his Panther....also somewhere on this thread....
v2plus10 is offline Find More Posts by v2plus10
Last edited by v2plus10; Sep 06, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
all need a slight modification..
I simply removed the wood blocks.. cut another 3-4mm of foam and reglued the with epoxy.. then screwd the e-retracts on.. simple.