HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by tim_mellor, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Dec 2004
291 Posts
what HK motor do you recomend ?

Daniel
Daniel Z is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:52 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Z View Post
what HK motor do you recomend ?

Daniel
Do you need a motor for a boat? Be more specfic: span, auw...
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2004
291 Posts
For an indoor flying anvil mounted in front of a Uboat on the moon surface ....

Now, seriously, for a typical f3p plane weighting between 100-120gms
there are some good weight motors but efficiency wise, maybe there is someone with some good setup to share

I have used this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5383

but it swings 7" props, I think larger ones performs better, also seems to me a little amp hungry
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Forget that thing.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:48 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
That one is light and OK for the size but may not give sufficient thrust for the more demanding sequences.

If you want something cheap that could turn even 9" prop, this is a possibility too:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8494

There's several higher kv variants of that in case you prefer smaller prop. This motor weighs 17 g without the cross mount. I'm positive it is better for F3P pattern than the flat > 2000 kv multipole motors they are offering.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Agree Finn, both Daniels and Boredom motors are just plain wrong for F3P, first one is too high KV and therefore will need a small prop the second is only going to have rated thrust on 3s and only the highest possible efficiency motor can produce need thrust on only 3.5amp rating and probably only by exceeding the rating ..were talking less than 25watt on two cells guys. Wont cut it

Try this to pull anything up to 180g the good old BP2204:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

Next for lighter planes, but still a stump puller(and very nice looking too!):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2350kv.html
I personnally think the Kv rating is wrong, motor pulls big props too easy without heating, maybe the large diameter give it the torque despite the Kv also a very similar 2403 is listed with 2100Kv but on BO right now.

Next up, just about as strong as the 2402:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2200kv.html

This one pulled my 40" more drag than a boat anchor Jumbo-ized Ikarus F3A(?) didnt have any vertical BUT that was with heavy 25C max 300mah cells, I promise with a quality 65C pack it will pull 125g thru any maneuver I know of.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nner_10g_.html
But obviously it going to work harder than the motors above and run hotter too. I'm sticking mine on a hopefully under 90g Vision F3P, from what I read, it could go down to 80g with what I'm planning on using.
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Last edited by crossup; Apr 08, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Dec 2004
291 Posts
Thanks for your responses!

I have used the 2204 for 3d planes and it is a very good motor indeed, for a weight penalty of about 1gm sould be ok for f3p but I think is more power than needed and requires larger batteries
the 2402 seems to be nice as it saves some weight but I don´t know if I can use small bateries on it , like 250mah?
Maybe I should try to go with the 10gm motor, what props and lipos are you using with it?
I have a morback at 108gms with the mentioned motor and 400mah lipos (18gms) so, I think I could achive a sub 100gm plane with the right gear...

what do you think?
Last edited by Daniel Z; Apr 12, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
Well, the 1404N-2290 9 g motor would be OK for a F3P plane if you can get the AUW down to 70 - 80 g range, otherwise the thrust may not be sufficient. Also you have to use a rather small prop (6x3) for optimum performance.

I have not tried this one yet (I just ordered one to try it out):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17593

This one will weigh some 15 g without the connectors. I'm using its bigger brother in my Arrow V5 and it pulls nicely. Again, quality and efficiency are not comparable to Axi etc. but for the price it should be fine. This one is easier to mount to the plane than the red one I posted above.

The kv is also a bit too high to use any larger than 7 x 3.5 prop. Remember, these are my recommendations from the HK selection for use in F3P pattern flying. There are various much better drive systems available elsewhere but the cost 3 - 20 times as much.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:01 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
The 10g motor is a power hog for its size but with a 7x3.5 and real good batteries it will haul 125g with ease. I've used Nanotec cells rated 35-70c 300mah 15g pak or the 65-130c 350mah and it has the beans with those. I'll be trying it with much smaller cells but alas with a very light plane. FWIW, the 65-130C pack was a beastly 33g! even though it made the plane 15g heavier, it has so much punch it flew better than with lighter batteries, talking vertical power of course.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nner_10g_.html
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Last edited by crossup; Apr 12, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Dec 2004
291 Posts
Today I have tested today the 10gm HK on my 104gms morback with a new nanotech 300mah, It has he power to hover about 90% with the battery full and a 7x3.5, so I think I will switch to my old but very efficient wesport, CD rom motor at 17gms paying the weight penalty
I think it can be a better motor for a lighter plane , say arround 80gms, anyhow it is a beautifull motor

PS: Maybe these lipos are crap, first ones were great, but lately are not good
Last edited by Daniel Z; Aug 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
Dualsky RTR and cheap HK alternative tested

I recently tested two motors for F3P. The first one was the cheap option I linked a couple of posts up:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17593

This motor runs pretty good but the measured kv was disappointing. It was nowhere close to the stated 2250! The real figure was ~2600. This makes it impossible to use even 7 x 3.5 prop in a F3P model since the current shoots above 7 A @ 7.0 V. The 6 x 3 GWS prop could be a feasible option with 2S Lipo and in fact my motor is going to end up in a tiny sport bipe for outdoor fun.

If all the production motors come with similar kv, the only way to make it work in a F3P would be rewinding it for ~2000 kv or so.

Then I took some measurements of the Dualsky XM2212RTR-25 motor
http://www.verticalhobby.com/kauppa/...42-p-2443.html

This one weighs 15.34 g and this includes a 6 A ESC, BEC and a standard servo cable (the included cable for Spektrum indoor receivers is about 0.3 g lighter). The kv measurement revealed it to be somewhat higher than spec, 2312 instead of 2160. I wish it was a bit lower but turns out the motor works quite well with the 7 x 3.5 GWS prop as suggested.

These are the figures I got (did not measure the thrust but took the figures from DriveCalc that seems to have quite reliable prop data for these GWS props):
GWS 6x3: ~4 A, almost 180 g static thrust
GWS 7x3.5 ~5 A , roughly 200 g static thrust

This means that if your model weighs < 115 g, this motor is an excellent power plant for F3P pattern.

I also tested the current draw with the Glavak SG-09x2.0 (slim) that I'm planning to use:
@7.14 V the current is 5.95 A and rpm is 8100.

I don't know the static thrust numbers but I bet it is well over 200 g. The conclusion is that this motor should perform very well with the 2.0 pitch slim Glavak but I would hesitate to mount the wider blade SG-09x2.3 to it. Of course the model will fly but the efficiency may drop too much and result into shorter flight times without any noticeable improvement over the 2.0.

The combination Dualsky XM2215RTR-25 & Glavak SG-09x2.0 will find its way to my next F3P plane, whatever it will be (Spies?). The most attractive feature is the weight which will be 17.5 g including the prop. Also the price is very reasonable.

I attached a sample view of my data in DriveCalc. I compared the efficiency curve to the one I got from my cheap Emax GT and the Dualsky beats it easily.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Models & Equipment ...

... used at the first European Indoor Aerobatics Championship (EIAC) 2012 - see attachment:
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Models & Equipment ...

used by the Top Ten at the EIAC 2012 F3P-AM:
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Models & Equipment

used by the Top Ten at the German Indoor Aerobatics Championship 2013:
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:01 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
900 Posts
Jürgen, as many people are using YGE ESCs without internal BEC, could you add a column for the external BEC as well? There must be various ways to solve the problem.

And thanks of course, this is very interesting.