HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:12 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,000 Posts
Build Log
Walt Musciano's Classy Gassy for AMPLAN Build Off

I've admired this design for many years, and the YankPlan build-off gives me some incentive to finally build this little ship. Musciano published this model in sizes ranging from 32 inch span (as presented in his 1952 book "The Model Plane Manual") to 72 inches. Mine will be scaled to about 40 inches and probably E-powered.

The photos are actually of the Pee Wee Pal, which was almost identical to the Gassy. It should be a straightforward build, though the twin rudders might be some fiddly work....
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:35 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
371 Posts
Brokenspar -

NICE - can't wait to see this one...

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:21 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,847 Posts
This should be great!

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:22 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,630 Posts
Welcome to the build off bs, should be nice and I'm keen to see how you deal with the twin rudders. One of the neatest schemes I have seen was that used by the late Geoff Dunmore on his conversion of his original Wyvern F/F - see http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...sets/dt162.pdf
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:21 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
444 Posts
Watching !!

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:33 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,000 Posts
Thanks, all.

Sundancer, I like the Geoff Dunmore rudder idea, very clever. Thanks for the tip.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:22 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,631 Posts
Brokenspar -- I will be following with great interest. That Walt Musciano book was in our town library, and I frequently checked it out to scale up the plans on brown paper grocery sacks. The Glassy Gassy was my first gas free flight. Surprisingly, after being built from the hand scaled plans, it had a terrific glide. I took it out to my Grandmothers's wheat field, and it had a great start, but I had yet to learn about right thrust and I got a very nasty left downward spiral into the ground. I have corresponded with Walt about the design, and he sent me a copy of PeeWee Pal and I was able to obtain the magazine in which it was published. He also told me a harrowing story about how his first Classy Gassy, a much larger model escaped a harrowing first flight including a trip across a freeway. I treasure that letter, as I do the design.

I have saved that twin rudder arrangement from the newsletter posted by Sundancer, and subsequently, I have followed the Laumer Twin Lizzie thread on this site, which shows an excellent alternate approach.

I wish you all the best with your build.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:26 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,000 Posts
Thanks, Pete G! That book was in my public library too, and I read it numerous times. The Classy Gassy has been on my build list since 1967.

I checked into the Twin Lizzie thread; that's another nice little ship, as are most of Keith Laumer's designs. So many models to choose from.....
Last edited by brokenspar; Aug 14, 2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:48 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,528 Posts
Have you started? Looks like it will be a real floater.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:39 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Have you started? Looks like it will be a real floater.
Hopefully he won't have started yet John - Start date is September 1st.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:20 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,000 Posts
I'm "chompin' at the bit". The man-cave will be a busy place on Sept 1st!
Last edited by brokenspar; Aug 26, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:05 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,528 Posts
brokenspar and SD, thanks for the reminder. I hadn't really planned on a build, but then the reminder, " can't start until Sept." sort of gave me a little push (over the top). I like twin rudders too (my P38), but then the bucket list is long.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 03, 2014, 01:12 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,000 Posts
I'm a few days late out of the gate, but here goes: Printed out rib and fuselage side patterns, then started cutting parts. I'll be changing the wing structure from a single deep spar to a pair of smaller top and bottom spars with shear webbing.
Old Sep 03, 2014, 01:54 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,630 Posts
Sensible change on the spar set-up bs. I was sorely tempted to do the same on my Airknocker, but went for the alternative of a laminated spar in the end.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2014, 01:31 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
444 Posts
Still going with 40" span ?? Am thinking of using 50" and two wheel landing gear.

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer