SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2001, 10:51 AM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Cheap Wings

I'm experimenting with making some fuselages and was wondering if there's any resources that offer "cheap" foam wings for sale. I don't really care what they look like, I just want to see if I can get any of my homemade gliders to fly, and I don't want to manually carve each wing....Thanks! Also, I have an extra wing from my Dragonfly (Slow Flyer) lying around, would that work on a glider (just to test...)?
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2001, 11:10 AM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
Wal-Mart!!! For $2.99 (last time I bought some) you get the wings, lovely stickers, and a nice blue-foam fuse...
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Sep 05, 2001, 11:27 AM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Are these wings that I could fit onto a glider fuse?
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Sep 06, 2001, 07:45 AM
Now with more COWBELL!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
Don't see why not. Cut/shape/trim the roots for the sweep and dihedral angles you need (they're shaped funny on the root ends to fit the original fuse) and glue the halves together with ProBond or epoxy. Reinforce them with strapping or filament tape, or glass them with light cloth, or use a CF spar, or something, 'cause they'll flex a bit under load. You can also find a white foam glider (I think it's by Life-Like) that has much less sweep on the wings at a toy store or K-Mart or such. It was only about $5.
I've hacked both types into small R/C planes with sp280/sp400 motors and 3-channel control. Cheapest way to fly I know. Most pain-free crashes, too!
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Sep 06, 2001, 06:42 PM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
Yea, that "toy" wing even has a decent airfoil if you add a balsa TE. Just cut in a spruce 1/8x1/2 spar on the 1/4 chord line and with the TE, it'll be very strong, and only weigh about 5 ozs! Tape it if you want ever more strength.

See a sample here: http://www.acesim.com/rc/wallywing.html
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Old Sep 06, 2001, 07:59 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
Wing mfg. makes foam wings for almost any
model ever made. Check out thier website.
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis