SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2014, 10:56 PM
United States, IA, Glenwood
Joined Feb 2014
263 Posts
Discussion
Help!!!!

You guys are probably getting annoyed with all the different threads I am starting, but I keep having questions! As most of you know I am 15, turning 16 in 16 days. I have asked for a RC Plane for my birthday, but am unsure of which one. I think that I would get bored with the Hobbyzone Supercub, because it is only a 3ch airplane. I REALLY would like to start out with the Dynam T-28 because it is a trainer/warbird. Keep in mind that I don't want to spend a ton of money on the supercub, if I am only going to fly it until I get bored. I don't have a way to get money quick so I need a plane that will entertain me for a long time. I think I am going to officially ask for the T-28. What is the advice I should hear? Thanks for all your help!
Birdboy33 is offline Find More Posts by Birdboy33
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2014, 11:18 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,019 Posts
I guess the other threads didn't give you the answer you wanted?

It's a free country.... where people can crash planes they shouldn't have bought because they're new to rc flight. Where they can waste their money on replacement parts and repair methods that don't work. Where they can post threads about how a plane they shouldn't have started out with flies like crap.
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:42 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,089 Posts
Some one needs to post the "my rc plane does 100 mph" video.

It says it all...epic fail.

Rc planes, boats, cars etc are great fun...please don't spoil it for yourself.

Do get one of these DeltaRay http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963305

RF

Allow me :

RC Flying Newbie (3 min 36 sec)
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Last edited by Red Flyer; Mar 09, 2014 at 03:18 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:47 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,016 Posts
How about the Freewing Pandora!!
Freewing Pandora thread.
It can be configured in 4 different ways
1- High wing tail dragger
2- High wing Tricycle gear
3- Low wing tail dragger
4- Low wing Tricycle gear!!
Now I know it's not a warbird but neither is the super cub you are looking at!
But it is amazing what a little bit of paint and a couple of stickers can do!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Mar 09, 2014, 03:17 AM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,484 Posts
Get a Delta Ray. It's full-house (4-channel), it will allow you to teach yourself to fly with the SAFE technology's various flight envelopes, and it cam move up with you as a pilot, being very aerobatic when SAFE's set to the expert setting and the control throws are increased. Then you can put the Xtreme motors on it for $25.00 and have something that has a whole lot more power..

Very good airframe for someone looking to stick with one plane for a while.

The T-28 may have been a trainer in real life, but it would not make a good first RC aircraft. Low-wings generally don't. It completely lacks any self-stabilization and self-recovering capabilities and you're very likely to plow it into the ground about 14 seconds after you power it up..
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Mar 09, 2014, 03:51 AM
United States, MN, Odin
Joined Aug 2010
355 Posts
I agree a delta ray is the way to go. My 6 year old daughter a flying one and she loves it. I fly it once in awhile on advanced and it's a fun little plane. I wish I had one when
I started out.
Redhood is online now Find More Posts by Redhood
Old Mar 09, 2014, 05:18 AM
no catchy phrase
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Feb 2013
192 Posts
Birdboy,

You might want to listen to what people are telling you, let me just add that I was in your situation and surprise the exact thing everyone told me would happen, happened.You need a slow plane so you can make mistakes and recover from them, the plane will teach you how to fly. The big transition is ailerons. Trust me when I say this, noting you can do on a sim will prepare you for that! Look at the flyzone cub, fly it without the ailerons and when you get good then plug them in. Even still with the money thing, look on classifieds here, plenty of good planes for cheap in there.

I started out flying gas rc planes in 1996 as a teenager and flew for about 2 years. I got older and life went on. So about 2 years ago I started getting back into the hobby and things have changed. I bought a Corsair thinking I would be ok and played on my sim. Long story short I new right away I needed to go back to the basics and bought a cub. Listen to what people are telling you, I know its not what you want to hear, but it is what you NEED to hear. Other wise you will have a 10 second flight and your birthday present will be sitting on the ground in pieces. By the way Happy BIrthday!
rcplanenoob78 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanenoob78
Old Mar 09, 2014, 08:49 AM
United States, CT, Hartland
Joined Jul 2011
144 Posts
Do you have an RC simulator? When learning to fly, you need to get to the point where you no longer need to continuously think about how to move your thumbs the plane move the way you want. Especially when the plane is fly towards you and everything is reversed. A simulator is a great way to train your thumbs.

Will you be flying with an instructor on a buddy box? If not, then I suspect that starting out on a low wing T-28 as a first flying experience will not end well.

Even though I was training with an instructor at my club on a full house trainer, I had a 3-channel micro Cub that I flew in my back yard. I just flew left hand circles, right hand circles, and figure 8s over and over to build confidence.
aymodeler is offline Find More Posts by aymodeler
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:26 AM
Joined Feb 2014
263 Posts
Okay, okay, I will stay with the supercub. How easy is it to add ailerons to it, and how well do they work?
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:37 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdboy33 View Post
Okay, okay, I will stay with the supercub. How easy is it to add ailerons to it, and how well do they work?
Very easy and yes they are effective but the RTF cub transmitter does not have the channels for it. Let that be your first mod after you buy a cheap DX6 or the like off the RCG trader. Redhood enjoy your 6 yr old daughters interest in "Daddy's planes" while it lasts. My 13 and 15 yo daughters have less than zero interest in "Daddy's planes".

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:44 AM
United States, OH, Chagrin Falls
Joined Apr 2013
291 Posts
I wish I had known about the Delta Ray when I first started and crashed my T28! That looks like an awesome plane to teach yourself and grow with. As I recall, you have had absolutely no stick time, an iPhone sim or even a good flight sim like Phoenix RC or Real-Flight cannot prepare you for the true hands on. The SAFE technology is similar to what the add on EagleTree Guardian can do, but it is already built in and definitely worthwhile for the newbie. Plus you can learn with ailerons.
dsa44 is online now Find More Posts by dsa44
Last edited by dsa44; Mar 09, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:56 AM
Joined Feb 2014
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Get a Delta Ray. It's full-house (4-channel), it will allow you to teach yourself to fly with the SAFE technology's various flight envelopes, and it cam move up with you as a pilot, being very aerobatic when SAFE's set to the expert setting and the control throws are increased. Then you can put the Xtreme motors on it for $25.00 and have something that has a whole lot more power..

Very good airframe for someone looking to stick with one plane for a while.

The T-28 may have been a trainer in real life, but it would not make a good first RC aircraft. Low-wings generally don't. It completely lacks any self-stabilization and self-recovering capabilities and you're very likely to plow it into the ground about 14 seconds after you power it up..
I would go with the delta rat BUT I want the more scale appearance of the supercub
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:03 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa44 View Post
As I recall, you have had absolutely no stick time, an iPhone sim or even a good flight sim like Phoenix RC or Real-Flight cannot prepare you for the true hands on.
No but it certainly helps with orientation issues which IMO are the cause of most crashes early in a new RC aviators career. Well on second thought they are the cause of most of mine too. I did enough sim time when I first started so that when I flew the plane, I did not have much problem with controlling the plane as it came towards me.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:22 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
How about the Freewing Pandora!!
Freewing Pandora thread.
It can be configured in 4 different ways
1- High wing tail dragger
2- High wing Tricycle gear
3- Low wing tail dragger
4- Low wing Tricycle gear!!
Now I know it's not a warbird but neither is the super cub you are looking at!
But it is amazing what a little bit of paint and a couple of stickers can do!

LURCH
Yes...but does it go 100 miles per hour? LOL!
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:44 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
How about the Parkzone UMX Carbon Cub SS? 4 channel, flaps, nice little plane. I enjoy the HELL out of mine every time I fly it. Not real good in wind over 5mph though...other than that, nice solid little flier...by the way, I fly Warbirds quite a bit, learned on them too, almost walked away from this hobby because I couldn't understand why I was constantly crashing them, and having been in "the game" for only about 3 years now, I recently got this Cub, and I think it's a hoot to fly...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue