HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2013, 11:06 PM
20+ years rc pro and semi pro
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
Discussion
$2.00 Light kit for ultra lihts under 2 grams!

I love night flight so I came up with s super cheap super light light setup for ultra micros that run 1 s lipos!

you need : 1 set battery operated dollar$tore holiday light set
1 set of broken or new headphones from dollar$tore

Solder
Small head shrink
hot glue/tape

You strip the headphone wires gently to expose the tiny enamal wire .
You cut the leds you want to use off the AA powered holiday light set .

Sand or burn the enamal off the ends of the wire and tin them with solder.
Cut led taba to 1/4 " and solder on bulbs .
cut into or tap into white and black batt to board lead for power , you may need to add a resistor to lights if you feel them getting hot .

For 1 more gram you can buy flashing holiday lights and installl the "flasher" chip/board.

I can run 3-5 bulbs with almost no flight time change and when installed clean there is no change in performance !

I could custom make light kits in any color if you dont want to do it your self I could even make "plug n play " version that hooks in between batt and plug .

Let me know if you think i should sell them and tell me what sounds like fair price . Plug n play versions and on and off switch would be a buck or two more,

I will post flight footage in heavy for and at dusk when i get them editeded .

Thanks , Winkdogg
rc brian nj is offline Find More Posts by rc brian nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2013, 11:31 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
941 Posts
Great idea!, me likey. I also have a duet, which is in much worse shape than yours. Its my son's go to plane and I am waiting on the parts for other planes. He's been complaining about not being able to see it late in the evening so this will help me to help him finish the plane off faster, so I can harvest the gear
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
Gotta love the cheapies!

i have 20+ planes in the hanger and now the Duet is my favorite (The Champ was my fav.) I have some beautiful flyers but i get nervous flying $500 worth of airplane and cant relax . The only gripe with the Duet is the blue transmitter , I fly with a Turnigy 9xr with 16 models programed but I have so much fun with the Duet I dont mind the transmitter that much . Im buying a new one this week and doing a 4 light setup I will post build pics or a vid of the light setup ! A $60 rtf and $2 lights you cant go wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
Great idea!, me likey. I also have a duet, which is in much worse shape than yours. Its my son's go to plane and I am waiting on the parts for other planes. He's been complaining about not being able to see it late in the evening so this will help me to help him finish the plane off faster, so I can harvest the gear
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
Im going to bump this bc i know more people will like it once they see it!
Old Nov 04, 2013, 05:57 AM
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Aug 2013
335 Posts
Wow i might try this even on my 36" scratchbuilt as well as my umx extra 300 scratchbuilt
soccerj4y is online now Find More Posts by soccerj4y
Old Nov 04, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2013
315 Posts
+1. Great mod for DUET night flying.
oscarmok is online now Find More Posts by oscarmok
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:53 AM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
That is sick!
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Nov 08, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
build pics coming

im going to do a vid or take pics from start to finish for everybody! most likely pics bc im not good at cutting up video yet going to start now! coming soon.

Thanks Rc Brian NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerj4y View Post
Wow i might try this even on my 36" scratchbuilt as well as my umx extra 300 scratchbuilt
Old Nov 09, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
hey guys i put a build "mini how-to" in the Lighting section its way down at the bottom of the forum root page
Old Nov 09, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post26593452 here is the link to the mini how too!! easy to follow directions on every pic if you dont want to bother making them I will sell a kit with enough interest from you guys!
Old Nov 09, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
mini how-to is done !

i did a how to in the night flying section and even using a 1s micro batt to poer the lights your still under 6 grams!

check out the How-To link below

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post26593452

Quote:
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Aug 2013
335 Posts
which wires are conductive mine has green,red,green-copper twist, and red-copper twist

also all my leds are only white not colored???
soccerj4y is online now Find More Posts by soccerj4y
Last edited by soccerj4y; Nov 12, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
all of them are copper!

you need to scrape the red , green or whatever off with sandpaper or scrape with razor . that will get you good clean copper to solder. if you can only find white lights you can color them with a sharpie! it works!

go to the night flying section for my full tutorial with tons of pics and info! or pm me if your still having problems!

Quote:
which wires are conductive mine has green,red,green-copper twist, and red-copper twist

also all my leds are only white not colored???
Old Nov 19, 2013, 09:07 PM
Throw a glider!
Columbus Ohio
Joined Mar 2007
401 Posts
Regarding colored LED's...
I bought a pack of the small round globes, and a pack of the cone shaped lights. The round globes use white LED's and colored globes, but the cone shaped ones have the colored LED's.
glider90 is offline Find More Posts by glider90
Old Nov 22, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
cheap chinese leds

since most of the light kits are made in china they vary from batch to batch , you can try different dollar stores or color the white bulbs with colored sharpie (ive done it it works!

thx brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider90 View Post
Regarding colored LED's...
I bought a pack of the small round globes, and a pack of the cone shaped lights. The round globes use white LED's and colored globes, but the cone shaped ones have the colored LED's.