HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2013, 10:43 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,200 Posts
Discussion
Credit Cards charged overseas for USA purchases?

Okay here's a new wrinkle which seems to indicate that FMA doesn't really want to do business out of the Maryland office;

I get an e-mail with some special offers, I look 'em over and don't find anything I really want but since I'm on the website I buy a couple of things.

This morning I find out they ran my VISA card through the foreign office, VISA charged me an International fee and my card issuer charged me a fee. To top it off when they charge you overseas, you have none of the protections offered by law in the USA for credit card purchases.

Ain't life getting grand?????
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:05 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
In short you bought from Revolectrix not FMA and Revolectrix is based in Singapore.

I've never seen any international fees on my Chase Visa card and I've purchased from Revolectrix and HobbyKing. Perhaps it's time to find a new credit card.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,200 Posts
Perhaps you ought to stick to giving folks advice on things electrical and keep your financial advice to yourself????
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:39 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,175 Posts
If were me, I'd contact FMA in Maryland to try and find out what happened. You may have done that already but it wasn't mentioned.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,200 Posts
Well I would not give grimbeaver the satisfaction of a direct response other than the one above as while he seems to be quite proficient on electrical questions, IMHO he's nothing more than a horse's ass as a person.

In your case I will say that I have e-mailed reciepts from Revo USA, another from Jamie Marks at FMA Direct in Maryland, another from Revo USA with shipping information, yet the grimbeaver thinks I'm not smart enough to use the USA store/website.

This has been going on for some time with FMA as the pre-order process for the CellPro 10XP chargers demonstrates. Those were ALL run through the foreign office for reasons of evading USA credit card regulations like the fact that you cannot bill an item until it is shipped. FMA wanted to bill my credit card immediately with only a promise of a delivery date. They also avoid any attempt to contest or reverse a charge by going overseas.

'Nuff said?

As for the grimbeaver and Chase: Jamie Dimon is probably laughing in his bed and schmucks like the grimbeaver as JP Morgan Chase is among the most profitable financial institutions in the world. How else could they absorb the loss of 2 Billion dollars in the "London Whale" trading scandal, pay the SEC some 900 million in fines and still make a ton of money? Well they pay the grimbeaver .01 percent on his savings, finance charges on his beloved credit card are variable and hard to imaging the upper limit as just a few of the ways they make money.

No, if FMA had wanted to address my complaint, they'd have done so long ago. But in this case it would seem their response is much the same as when I questioned being immediately charged for a new charger with an undetermined delivery date; "you don't like it, don't order it".....
Old Nov 30, 2013, 02:09 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
647 Posts
Well, it turns out that either the vendor or Paypal "should" have notified the customer that the payment would be to a foreign account before the transaction "finalized". It's part of reasonable customer protection, and prevents a fake vendor from moving the money to an account that's virtually untouchable. There is another vendor in HK with a US store (also uses PayPal) that is infamous for similar practices.
I'm reasonably sure that there is something in the banking regs that might be invoked when this happens. Besides foreign transactions can trigger interest from government entities that you'd really rather not have poking around in your affairs. (IE NSA, internet snooping, account monitoring, etc.)
When I complained, to the bank, the fee was removed.

The problem seems to be a recent one, and caused by banks etc adding on a "foreign transaction fee".
This is in addition to any fees involved if there is a change in currency involved. That used to be the exchange rate at the time of the transaction plus
about 2.5%.
A problem the bank mentioned having was/is commonly occurring with foreign airline flights in the US and to Canada.
Seems that when a traveler pays via a travel agency in the US, or at the airport airline counter, no foreign transaction fee is charged.
Make the same payment via the internet to the airline via it's online reservation system, and it is.

I just noticed that a second Revo USA store transaction via paypal for one of the Serial/USB adapters used a different
Pay Pal account than the LEO LLC overseas account. Just have to wait and see how that ends up on the CC billing.

Added Info today
So far, the CC billing for the second invoice has not shown the "FTF". The account chases back to an Australian that
possibly is #2 at LEO. Then again, the amount is small enough that any significant FTF fee would be of the same magnitude as the
billed amount.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Last edited by chuck75; Dec 04, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 06:38 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
794 Posts
Did my first FMA purchase using Paypal and the amount is correct and no fees added- so maybe they changed it due to US laws regarding "unapproved" fees.
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2002
89 Posts
Any foreign transaction fee charged is done by the customerís bank. FMA has no control over, and does not receive, any extra fees. The site is based in Singapore as that is the location of our manufacturing partner, Leo Industries. The same checkout process is used by both the US and the Singapore based stores. All transactions are processed via Paypal, either by using the customerís Paypal account or their own credit card. Any chargeback initiation by the customer is handled through Paypal and receives the same protection in the US as in any other location in the world.
Jamie Marks is offline Find More Posts by Jamie Marks
Old Dec 18, 2013, 01:35 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
yet the grimbeaver thinks I'm not smart enough to use the USA store/website.
I never said anything of the sort. Nor do I appreciate the personal attack on me when I was simply trying to help you.

To clarify on what Jamie said, despite that they have a USA warehouse Revolectrix is a Singapore company. As a result all Revolectrix transactions are processed in Singapore. Similarly all HobbyKing transactions, even those for the USA warehouse, go through HongKong (or China whichever it is). That's all I was saying.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Last edited by grimbeaver; Dec 18, 2013 at 01:55 PM.