HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
I'm currently covering my first balsa plane (Stevens Aero-Fullhouse 500).
The best advice on covering came from my LHS: "Use Ultracote".
Although they also sell Monokote, they said Ultracote is much easier to use.
So far, I'm finding the task enjoyable rather than the hassle I was expecting.
The Ultracote stretches and shrinks around any corner very smoothly.
However, I'm a little disappointed it isn't a bit glossier.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:26 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violets View Post
Hi Bullseye,

The DVDs came in the mail today, could not have been better timing with the holidays coming up and I'll soon be starting my first covering, on my first build a SIG SE. Thanks for the hook-up, Mr. Bauer is a real gentlemen. I know you have 1 & 2, so I'll let you know how the other DVDs pan-out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post23486383

Michael
MAAC 84116
Sounds good. I'll be watching to see how you make out. Take your time I'm sure you'll do fine.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:51 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,375 Posts
I learned covering from this thread: Covering for Beginners http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711624
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Hahahaha. Working with balsa, Styrofoam, MonoKote and a heat gun is far harder than it looks. Ay carumaba. I've been working with helis for years and normally pride myself as a pretty decent modeler. I cobbed this thing up big time. I've got wrinkles and I melted some of the fuselage Styrofoam. It should fly though. As long as its 100 feet up maybe no one will notice...

Rick
For a covering novice such as myself, ultracoat works WAYYY better. No wrinkles, shrinks nicely, forgiving. It's well worth the extra couple bucks a roll.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
A bit late but I sure agree on Ultra Cote. It's a totally different material then Mono, Polyester I think. Takes an expert and lots of practice to put MonoCote on. It will also melt if you get it too hot. UltraCote makes an idiot like look like an expert. A tip for covering- use two heat irons.Set one for high temp and one for low temp. Low is for tacking in place and high is sealing and shrinking. This makes it much faster.

Mono also sags in the hot sun and looks terrible. I wish Tower would stop selling this junk. Horizon sells UltraCote. A bit pricey but worth it. They also sale a light version for small models. Mono weight a ton.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:38 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
MonoKote Bashers?

I've been using monokote since the 70's.... Still my favorite. if you use a iron with a heat gun like your suppose to you can get very good results. I fly sailplanes and sometimes the landing zones are a little rough, (sage brush & heavy weeds.) Monokote is a lot tougher than the other brands and also helps with torsional strength on the longer sailplane wings. My chioce for covering and I have covered a lot of them over the years. Tack it down with a iron, shrink it with a heat gun. No need for two irons. The heat gun is better for a scratch & smudge free finish than shrinking it with an iron...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
MonoKote Bashers?

I've been using monokote since the 70's.... Still my favorite. if you use a iron with a heat gun like your suppose to you can get very good results. I fly sailplanes and sometimes the landing zones are a little rough, (sage brush & heavy weeds.) Monokote is a lot tougher than the other brands and also helps with torsional strength on the longer sailplane wings. My chioce for covering and I have covered a lot of them over the years. Tack it down with a iron, shrink it with a heat gun. No need for two irons. The heat gun is better for a scratch & smudge free finish than shrinking it with an iron...
Exactly. 40 years experience and you're good at applying Monokote. Ultracoat is 1,000x's easier for the first timer and novice.

You can argue about quality, etc all day long, but for ease of application, Ultra wins hands down.
Now there might be other films like solartex, solite, etc that are easy to apply aswell, but those aren't normally available at your LHS
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:08 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 1 View Post
It will also melt if you get it too hot.

Mono also sags in the hot sun and looks terrible. I wish Tower would stop selling this junk.
Anything will melt if it gets to hot, even ROCKS! I've never had a problem w/ it sagging in the sun either? Not trying to start an argument with anyone, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's junk and shouldn't be on the shelf....
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:34 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,230 Posts
My all time favorite Solarfilm isn't available local and adding shipping make it cost prohibitive for me anymore so I recently started using Ultracote. For ME Ultracote is just so-so. In comparison with Solarfilm the Ultracote finish is kind of dull, wrinkles take a lot more heat to remove and Solarfilm beats it handily for getting absolutely smooth compound curves with no hint of wrinkles. Ultracote is also much heavier. Where Ultracote really excels for me is as a trim. It bubbles much less than anything I've ever used before because it can be applied at really low temps. Everyone is going to have their favorite but given the choice I'll take Solarfilm every time.

Want to try the crappiest covering on the planet? Hyperion Cub yellow. I never did find a temp that garbage worked at.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe