HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:25 PM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
614 Posts
Discussion
Fatshark Headtracker module problem

Apparently there are other people experiencing similar problems with the Fatshark Headtracker module, so let's see if we can get this fixed. Note that this is not an attempt to bash Fatshark or their HT, but rather to get the problem solved so we can use it!

The problem is that the HT doesn't move consistently according to your head movement. If for instance I turn my head to the left, the camera would move halfway, stop/glitch, and a second later move the rest of the way. If I look down, the camera would move down but also left or right after a second. It's unusable like this.
I follow the instructions to the letter, so it is not an error on my side. This is also not a drift problem, as drift behaves completely different.

Is this a hardware problem or a setup problem where other equipment interfere with the HT?
My headtracker is plugged straight into the EZUHF HT port. Those with the same problem, do you use EZUHF or can we rule that out as a possible problem?

Here are some posts of users with the same problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Anyone had any luck with the HT module?. Mine is garbage, can never get it to operate smoothly, has a mind of it's own most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
It's unusable for me, waste of money.

When i move my head left 20-30 degrees most of the time it will move left then right then back to moving left. It's all over the place. Doesn't even compare to the Foxteck AIO headtracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
Same problem here with the head tracker.. it works like crap (Futaba 10c)
Fatshark Dominator Head Tracker problem (1 min 39 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauf View Post
Another problem i have on mine is that the head tracker moves/jitter after i stop the head movements.
Fatshark Headtracker Problem (1 min 41 sec)
Moelich73 is online now Find More Posts by Moelich73
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
I have a similar problem but never got a reply on the main thread as to whether anyone else had it.

It's mainly in tilt - when I look up the head tracker moves up, but also about 10-20 degrees to the right, when I look down it moves 10-20 degrees to the left

The autocorrect back to centre has happened too, but only randomly and in the house so I imagine that's due to local electrical fields messing with the magnetometer.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:18 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,044 Posts
I recommend you take your plane for a test fly and try the head tracking then.

I've been using these goggles for a while now and the head tracking is fine out in the field.
Where you are the in your workshop there's lots of metal parts and bits around and this plays with the earths magnetic field the goggles are trying to sense. And there's a terrible lot of spring metal inside a bed mattress.

I reckon they have the best head tracking of any goggles I've used.

Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:36 AM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
614 Posts
Thanks for the input Geoff, I have to say I've only tested the HT inside. I will give it a test in the field this weekend and report back.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:28 PM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moelich73 View Post
Thanks for the input Geoff, I have to say I've only tested the HT inside. I will give it a test in the field this weekend and report back.
Hey Moelich,
The compass sensor calibrates the gyro. If there is anything affecting the compass sensor, the controller is going to think the gyro is wrong on every movement, which causes the jumping you are seeing. I also suspect that there might be some variances in magnetic fields at different locations that the software may not be accounting for. I subcontracted the head tracker to a Chinese vendor and worked with them to develop a budget head tracker with performance good enough for the way I fly.
The M.I.G. head tracker certainly not developed at the level that ImmersionRC did for their TrackR2. You'll be happy to know that ImmersionRC will be coming out with a drop in head tracking module that performs flawlessly. Of course with European engineering it won't be in the same price category as the MIG tracker.
See below link to a video I shot yesterday showing a random sampling of 10 Predator headsets that I pulled off the line and tested with an ezUHF hooked to a Futaba 10C
M.I.G. tracker production sampling (2 min 49 sec)

Being a new product, I also acknowledge that it is possible a few duds passed final testing because the pass/fail criteria was not mature. Of course, online you are only going to hear about and see videos of the bad ones. I would never release a product that I didn't personally use and wasn't personally satisfied with the performance. If the head tracker doesn't meet your performance requirements, I would just return it and wait for a higher end version. I'll make a post when I test out the new less aggressive settings.
Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,212 Posts
In the last 48 hours I have been fighting with a similar problem I call the “HT jitters”. My symptoms were that the pan/tilt servos jittered and jerked around. The pan was almost uncontrollable. Following is what I found throughout the 48 hour troubleshooting. FYI, my setup may be a bit different and as always my fix and conclusions do not apply to all scenarios.
What I have:
Fatshark RCV922 with integrated 433Mhz head tracker.
RMRC-420 camera from Readymade RC
2X Hitec HDS-877 digital servos (pan/tilt)
A generic camera mount.
Upon connecting it all to the HT Rx, the servos jittered and jerked. The pan servo would actually go almost 90 degrees left and right from time to time.
My servos were a set I pulled off an old plane that I regularly flew. During testing I reinstalled the servos on the plane’s ailerons to make sure that they still worked. They did. Furthermore during my troubleshooting I connected the servos to a servo tester to verify one more time. Again all worked as it should.
However I discovered that the jitters on the servos only showed up when I had the servos installed in the camera mount, EVEN when there was no HT Rx installed.
Bottom line, in my case it was NOT the HT system. The load from the weight of the camera and camera mount on the servos was too much for the servos and sent them all over the place. The tilt servo which only had to deal with the camera weight did have few jitters but mostly unsmooth jerkiness when used. The pan servo which carried the camera, tilt servo, and the rest of the camera mount weight had major jitters as described above.
I took my setup to a hobby shop and tested my theory with other micro servos. The jitters went away, but I still do not have a smooth flowing movement I’m looking for. Tomorrow I’m going to a different hobby shop that has a better selection of servos to see what I can find.
Still, despite that my original servos passed every test on their own, it seems very clear that the weight of everything does have a impact on the 877 servos.
Again, this may not be the solution for everyone with this problem but I would of bet my pay check that my servos were good and not the problem.
Good luck all.
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:12 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
^ what frequency were you using for video? 900mhz and 1.28ghz can trash cheaper servos and cause them to jitter like that.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,212 Posts
900Mhz and I thought the same thing. But please remember that in my scenario I had it turned off. I even turned off my 2.4Ghz radio tx. Only the 2.4 Rx was powered on for the servos.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:15 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Ahh, so you had jitters even with your video TX off?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,212 Posts
Yes. But if I tested the servos off the camera mount they worked fine, no jitters. I got jitters only after I put the weight of the camera and camera mount on the servos.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:33 AM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
Hey Moelich,
The compass sensor calibrates the gyro. If there is anything affecting the compass sensor, the controller is going to think the gyro is wrong on every movement, which causes the jumping you are seeing. I also suspect that there might be some variances in magnetic fields at different locations that the software may not be accounting for. I subcontracted the head tracker to a Chinese vendor and worked with them to develop a budget head tracker with performance good enough for the way I fly.
The M.I.G. head tracker certainly not developed at the level that ImmersionRC did for their TrackR2. You'll be happy to know that ImmersionRC will be coming out with a drop in head tracking module that performs flawlessly. Of course with European engineering it won't be in the same price category as the MIG tracker.
See below link to a video I shot yesterday showing a random sampling of 10 Predator headsets that I pulled off the line and tested with an ezUHF hooked to a Futaba 10C
http://vimeo.com/37848552
Being a new product, I also acknowledge that it is possible a few duds passed final testing because the pass/fail criteria was not mature. Of course, online you are only going to hear about and see videos of the bad ones. I would never release a product that I didn't personally use and wasn't personally satisfied with the performance. If the head tracker doesn't meet your performance requirements, I would just return it and wait for a higher end version. I'll make a post when I test out the new less aggressive settings.
Fat Shark
Thank you for the response. After some more testing, I found that it does work better once I'm outside at the flying field, but there is still some unwanted movement which doesn't correspond to my head movement. It is usable though.

After the inflight testing, I realised that i prefer using the Tx to control pan/tilt rather than the headtracker, as the camera is right on the nose of a flying wing and I have no reference in my view to center the camera.