HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
Hey guys,

Just ordered my Texan II, going to go a DLE35ra with a Belia 3blade 17x10 prop and ESM G3 Retracts.

One question, anyone know if its possible with creativity to not use lead in the rear to keep this long fuse CG spot on? I hate additional weight, however if i do i would rather put a 30 grams in the absolute rear before i glue the elevators on so i can keep the weight to a minimum.

Thanks guys
ausfester is offline Find More Posts by ausfester
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:34 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Morning Ausfester!

The DLE 35 should work out great with that prop combination. As far as the weight distribution I think you'll find that with the extended nose on the fuselage, engine, tank, ignition, ignition batt., nose gear...etc.; that you'll have plenty of weight up front to counter the longer tail section weight. I have the 6374 electric motor, + mount and a 120HV ESC + mount, nose gear, etc. up front and the CG is right about on the money with the 2 big 5,000Mah 6S packs moved slightly rearward, but pretty close to being right over the CG.

It becomes a trial type thing though...add your servo's, batt.s etc. and check the CG. I actually had mine on the CG scale and with most of the fixed items mounted and then started moving other things around until I was really close.

Anyway have fun with it...the aircraft is beautiful...you'll have a little tweaking to do here and there on this ARF, but its all worth it in the end.

I just got my V2.5 gear replacement in mine last weekend....but still have not flown it yet. Hopefully this weekend... Let us know if you run into problems...etc.

Mike
Snaer810 is offline Find More Posts by Snaer810
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:10 AM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
Thanks Mike.
It arrived today, did a quick check over and she looks beautiful.
Love the big canopy, just wondering if if anyone found some good pilots for this baby
ausfester is offline Find More Posts by ausfester
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Ausfester,

I'll let you know when I get home and I'll see if I can find the information. Most of the items I picked up on ebay and I think everything came in at about $75.00 for both pilots. They really look great!

There should be some pictures here on the build of the pilots and cocpits. If not I can send you some of those too. Just let me know!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:24 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
About ready for the Maiden

Well its all set for a maiden next week. Were actually looking at Monday or Tuesday.

I attached a video of the aircraft with the new sounds solutions PT-6 turbo prop sound. Just wen thru the start-up and shut down, but it really sounds awsome.

I'll let you know how the flight goes.

IMG 0213 (2 min 5 sec)
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,584 Posts
That is seriously Awsome! What motor setup are you running?
Big Nuts 181 is online now Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:33 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Thanks BN 181.!

The electric motor is a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-192kv Brushless Outrunner swinging a Zinger Pro-18X12 4 bladed prop. Did some taxi tests on a grass runway today and this combination really has some trust. Was barelly over a 1/4 throttle and the the aircaft was rolling down the runway at close to take-off speed.

Should perfrom really well!

Mike
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,584 Posts
Hey Mike are you running a benedie sound system as well?
Big Nuts 181 is online now Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:43 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
No, They did not have the PT-6 Sound file I wanted. So I did some research on a company called Sound Solutions out of Ontario, Canada. Dave Harrison is the owner and was quite helpful in getting me setup. Its actaully quite a nice system with a lot of functionality. I can use the same sound card in other aircraft, just insert another SD card with the new sound file and re-configure the card which is all done on my laptop.

www.modelsoundsinc.com

Model Sounds Inc. Ottawa, Canada
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
63 Posts
Retract hell

Still can't believe that I haven't been able to fly this lil plane even after almost a year of having it sitting in the corner of my shop. I've got a fly in this weekend and after two gear replacements from TBM, this piece of crap still cycles uncontrollably.... Ive read all the forums an talked w TBM for hours but this dam Chinese crap still is crap. Thinking of just selling the whole loss an sticking w the large scale professional toys that are predictable. Can't believe that Sierra, Robart still doesn't have a conversion for this bird...
2Big is offline Find More Posts by 2Big
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Big View Post
Thinking of just selling the whole loss an sticking w the large scale professional toys that are predictable. Can't believe that Sierra, Robart still doesn't have a conversion for this bird...
I'll buy it!!!,
N227CT is offline Find More Posts by N227CT
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:36 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,997 Posts
The version 3 retracts just came out. Complete redesign from what ive been told by tbm. Check out their facebook page for a video.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:18 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
2Big,

Just ask TBM to replace the version 1 or 2 you have with the new version 3. Thats what I requested and the were very helpful getting them to me. They work great...and have had no problems at all. If you need additional help getting them working, just let me know.

What exactly are they doing when you say uncontrollably cycling....can give some specfics.?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:28 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,761 Posts
Hey Snaer810 .
That video is really cool , Have you had a chance to weigh the plane yet for take off weight ?

cheers

Pete.
mackone is offline Find More Posts by mackone
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:25 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Hey Pete,

It comes in right at 20lbs. With the batteries mounted in the aft section of the fuse right over the the wing the CG is perfect.

Have a Great Day!

Mike