HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,752 Posts
looking great! what Urethane resin do you use and where did you get it.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Thanks

A-R Products 1562 907-7707, Norwalk, Ca.. It is a Smooth-On product. Check their site. More stuff to mold on there.

I use Smooth-On 300 for the urethane resin casting. Similar to "Alumalite", if not exactly the same material.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,353 Posts
We are both very close to being ready for glass....cant wait
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
This is what happens when I over estimate my talent. It just takes longer to get there.

The right thing to have done is to fabricate the entire gun detail and then attach to fuse.

The orange part is a large drinking straw.

Steve
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:06 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,004 Posts
man, id be interested in some glass parts! its looking awesome!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
So I tried to make the gun as part of the fuse. This what I came up with. Not what I had in mind. I will make a more accurate urethane casting and glue it to the fuse later. Between my friends and I, we have enough models to speed things up at times for some details. Like the vents behind the nose gear. these are urethane resin castings off a buddies jet. And cut as needed.

Next V-stab detail and mold. I hope.

Steve
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,353 Posts
Nice!...so do we need to pay royalities to BVM for the vents..Ha
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
The V-stab. A few pics. Too bad the H-stab covers so much of the details. I will try to put the V-stab LE detail. Its like a solid alum section.

Will probably put detail on the H-stab.

The small diagonal line on some of the larger panels are added due to tape not being wide enough. Those will be gently sanded out of the mold.

The bottom faring may get tricky.

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:23 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,054 Posts
That is awesome. The surface irregularities of the foil tape are going to give this bird a very nice look. This won't look like a scaled up plastic model.

Where do you propose to mount the fan? Will it be just below the tail to keep the efflux/thrust line parallel to the centerlines?
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Wherever the variable tail cone will work best. The glass fuse will have good room for adjustment..

Steve
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,752 Posts
there is a crash site about a mile from where im sitting ,there was a huge piece of the H stab that survived ...i might go take a look at it tomarrow .i've also been to yeagers NF-104 crash site ....i still found some small pieces of it ...and a lot of old beer cans ,the kind you had to use a can opener on .they had to get the airmen out there some how
i think your going to need that up thrust...the sabb Draken has that too ,when i build my 70mm depron draken i used the angle and it flies very nice ,no pitch change with throttle.the c/g is pretty far fwd on the 104 so it needs the thrust angle ....at least thats my 2 cents
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:44 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,004 Posts
sucha awesome project, and your really doing it right!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
there is a crash site about a mile from where im sitting ,there was a huge piece of the H stab that survived ...i might go take a look at it tomarrow .i've also been to yeagers NF-104 crash site ....i still found some small pieces of it ...and a lot of old beer cans ,the kind you had to use a can opener on .they had to get the airmen out there some how
i think your going to need that up thrust...the sabb Draken has that too ,when i build my 70mm depron draken i used the angle and it flies very nice ,no pitch change with throttle.the c/g is pretty far fwd on the 104 so it needs the thrust angle ....at least thats my 2 cents
Thanks Guys.

New 104 crash site coming soon. I figure the first few may be quick polyester lay ups.

I hate when the plane changes pitch with the throttle!

Steve
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
A mistake I made on my aluminum Vstab panels in previous pics of stab.

Forgot.

On the first side of vstab I put the alum tape on the model first, then rivet detail. Not a good way to do it on a foam plug. Too soft, especially since I did not glass that section. It"s just cover with wall patch. Plus one cannot use a ruler easily to guide the rivets.

The way I normally do it is rivet detail frist, then apply. This gives better lines and does not dent the model. Some models have dented skin, but the 104 is really not one of them according to the one at Chino.

I'm only using individual panels due to the smaller pieces being easier to apply, or remove if you screw up.

All will transfer well into the molds. Even the screw ups.

Screws are made with an old mechanical pencil, and rivets are maid with a pounce wheel.

Paint and weathering will decide how much of it shows ultimately.

Steve
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
The other side.

I damaged the bottom tip of the rudder. After it's fixed I'll put the alum and piano hinge detail on.

Then a few other things and mold.

Steve