HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
If you left the paper on, this motor is not a good choice. The plane will be extremely tail heavy. It's probably good if you build it light and want a slower floaty bat. Look through the thread here and see what others have used. I would like to help more but I have to leave for work. I'll check back layer.

Chris
Thanks for the heads up the motor. I don't want to go fast (not very coordinated yet!), but I would like to have the option to fly faster if I wanted to. Looks like I'll be getting a different motor then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Hi Ken
the servo's, charger and lipo's are fine. I prefer these horns
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._horn_set.html
I prefer a motor in the 1400 to 1800 kv range and this motor is ok for a light weight build
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5208. Runs fine on a 3 cell & 7x4 combo
For more performance see my post 756 above for motor suggestions. It's worth giving this one from HK a go http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1534kv.html. Really cheap and others have used successfully.
In the UK I buy lots of my stuff from Giantcod and this one goes well http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a220812-18...-p-405608.html and this one looks promising http://www.giantcod.co.uk/epower-gf2...-p-405983.html
I would still suggest adding an inch to the fuse ahead of the wing as this makes it easier to balance the plane and it also allows the space to make a top hatch for the battery. I can run anything from a 3 cell 850 to a 1300 in mine but tend to go for a 1000 for more performance than the 1300 at the expense of shorter flights.
If you update your profile to include your location this will enable other forum members to provide you with local suppliers. I know that many US members rate Heads Up RC http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront and they have lots of motor test data to enable you to choose the correct combination for your needs.
You will not regret building the FunBat. It's tracks like it's on rails and handles wind that would ground all but the most foolish of gas jockeys. Just turn down the rates and dial in some expo for the maiden and have a blast. My 16.5" mini version is just mad with it's roll rate of c.5 a sec!
Andy
Thanks a ton for your advice!

Good eye on the horns. I think I'll be picking yours up instead. Look nicer and easier to use / set up.

As far as the motor, it doesn't look like the second motor comes with a mount. Can I order one of those separate through HK? Is there a way to tell which mount would work for it? If anything, for now I might just go with your first recommendation, since it appears to already come with a prop saver and a motor mount. They're both nice and cheap though, too!

I'll look into your idea about extending the fuselage forward a bit. I think I'll try the battery first and see what I can get with it. If I need to, then I'll look at extending it forward.

Thanks!
kenzietech is offline Find More Posts by kenzietech
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
No problem. The FC 28-12 Brushless Outrunner 1534kv does comes with a mount that is held on with grub screws. If you mount with screws you will have to remove the motor and then re-install. You could use nuts and bolts through the firewall but this might be a bit of an overkill for the motor. It's worth replacing the grub screws with short cross head screws. This is the prop saver http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3738 but I'd replace the O rings with surgical tube cut up into rings. Here is a post regarding it's use and possible suppliers
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206595
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,601 Posts
I just shipped another 5 of these kits - 1 Depron and 4 in Model Plane Foam.

Good thing there is lots of help here for equipment and good advice.

Thanks guys

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
I just shipped another 5 of these kits - 1 Depron and 4 in Model Plane Foam.

Good thing there is lots of help here for equipment and good advice.

Thanks guys

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
And I just ordered (well, yesterday) components for it as well! Now to wait like a kid for Christmas for all my new parts to come in! (First time ordering anything - motors, ESCs, LiPos, servos, etc. Super excited.)

Though the frustrating thing is that I JUST made the order barely 12 hours ago, and they were out of the HXT900s, so I ordered the Turnigy TG9e ones instead. Then in the middle of the night last night I get warehouse update that they now have the HXT900s in stock! Darn....

Hopefully I won't regret making an early purchase using the Turnigys instead!
kenzietech is offline Find More Posts by kenzietech
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:25 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Looks like they have good write up's so I would think you will be ok.
Andy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,601 Posts
Enjoy our builds

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:35 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Firming up the Nose suggestion and drawing.

I supposed that 1/32 ply could also be used just as well.

The interior corners ought to have triangle stock fitted and glued too.

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
A while back I was goofing around, working on an EDF power test rig to play with a few ideas i had in my head. I basicly made the thing by taking layers of paper, I think it was 8 layers, and spray glueing them to make a cylinder to hold the EDF unit. Thing was so strong, it felt like it was hard cardboard!

Im wondering if it might be possible to do the same thing on the front of the FBs nose. Use a thing sheet of wood for the motor mount and sandwich it between a few layers of paper on either side, (im useing some nice 22lbs paper I got from a local print shop) then have the foam of the fuse sandwhiching the paper itself. I may play around with this idea some and let you guys know how it went. Cause im getting a little tired of reglueing my FBs motor mount back on
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:50 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
My firewall assembly is 1/16 lightply. I think the sides are 1 1/2 inch long and interlock. Butted joints with triangle stock is strong too. Scotch Exreme tape on foam is really strong too. I knocked the wing off the fuse without hurting the nose at all.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:39 AM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
I took my Funbat to SEFF, thinking I would trash it in the combat sessions. Well, it was very windy, too windy to fly most of my planes, so I ended up flying the Bat more than anything else. No combat, as I wanted the plane to last all week. Even pulled off some VTOs when the wind died down. Fun plane!
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old May 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Hi Guys
New to rcgroups. Infact fairly new to forums.
Like to share pics of my new Funbat build.
6mm depron
HXT900 servos
2206A motor (Hobbyking)
30A esc (overkill but have motor plans)
7x6 prop
1600mah 3s
Currently pushing a bit over 200w
Covered with signage vinyl and has 3mm carbon spar. Makes it a bit porky but it is strong and helps in the wind.
Flew about 6 times in bare depron with 2730 1500kv and flew great.
Love the way this tracks in the air but heads for the heavens on full throttle.
Have a couple of washers to angle thrust down on motor. Will try more. Using 9x so may try mixing throttle to elevator.
Full credit to the designer of this.
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old May 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman72 View Post
Hi Guys
6mm depron
HXT900 servos
2206A motor (Hobbyking)
7x6 prop
1600mah 3s
Covered with signage vinyl and has 3mm carbon spar. Makes it a bit porky but it is strong and helps in the wind.
Have a couple of washers to angle thrust down on motor. Will try more. Using 9x so may try mixing throttle to elevator.
Very nice looking plane. I realy like the coloring you did. Welcome to the group!
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old May 02, 2012, 02:30 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys
6mm depron
HXT900 servos
2206A motor (Hobbyking)
7x6 prop
1600mah 3s
Really nice graphics. It just screams "fun". As for heading for the heavens, I have had several planes like this and they all are the same way. It's not just the thrust angle but the way the airframe behaves. Try gliding inverted sometime. Downthrust will work but try chopping the throttle from full to zero. It will balloon and then stall. I finally settled on "down" elevator trim so that it flies just a little upward at full throttle. From there you can program a switch that puts the elevator level for takeoff, landing and slow flight. You could also program a throttle-elevator mix on a switch. Flaperons can be used too but you only have one servo.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old May 02, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Really nice graphics. It just screams "fun". As for heading for the heavens, I have had several planes like this and they all are the same way. It's not just the thrust angle but the way the airframe behaves. Try gliding inverted sometime. Downthrust will work but try chopping the throttle from full to zero. It will balloon and then stall. I finally settled on "down" elevator trim so that it flies just a little upward at full throttle. From there you can program a switch that puts the elevator level for takeoff, landing and slow flight. You could also program a throttle-elevator mix on a switch. Flaperons can be used too but you only have one servo.
Thanks for the feedback. Eagle eyes may also note I extended the nose by about 25mm.
I like the idea of adding a second servo for flaperons. Could open other options for mixing with elevator for some fun.
I actually dont mind so much about it heading up with speed, its such a laugh.
Has anybody tried adding a lower KFm4 step?
Old May 03, 2012, 01:03 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Eagle eyes may also note I extended the nose by about 25mm.
I like the idea of adding a second servo for flaperons. Could open other options for mixing with elevator for some fun.
I actually dont mind so much about it heading up with speed, its such a laugh.
Has anybody tried adding a lower KFm4 step?
All my FB's from my 16.5"er to my 39" version have been built with a KFm-4 wing and all fly brilliantly. They all track really well and laugh in the face of windy conditions. The small versions is a wee bit twitchy, the bigun is more of a floater, which I reckon would slope soar with it's lighter wing loading but the best compromise is the original version. I also extended the nose on all of mine.
Andy
Old May 03, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
All my FB's from my 16.5"er to my 39" version have been built with a KFm-4 wing and all fly brilliantly. They all track really well and laugh in the face of windy conditions. The small versions is a wee bit twitchy, the bigun is more of a floater, which I reckon would slope soar with it's lighter wing loading but the best compromise is the original version. I also extended the nose on all of mine.
Andy
Nice Andy.
Going to have to do a quick tape on lower step and give it throw.
Noticed you had twin aileron servos on your large Funbat. Do you do any funky flaperon mixing or just aileron only.